Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which law would you change / introduce to improve Football?

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
I referee both Football and Rugby at secondary school level (I'm a PE teacher) and feel that although, in my opinion Football is a better game because of its simplicity, the level of conduct between players and referees is far more civilised in Rugby because, the referee can move the ball forward 10 yards if decisions are contested and referees use a10 minute sin bin if players transgress; both of these would improve Football overnight if they were introduced. The 10 yard law was trialled for a bit in minor Football about 10 years ago but no feedback was forthcoming about its usefulness. I'm well aware that Rugby has its own problems in interpreting its own laws but I think Football can learn a lot from it in terms of player conduct. What does everyone think?

Personally, I think the diving thing is unsportsmanlike, and so I would change the rules for penalties - because you are fouled in the area, doesn't necessarily mean a player had a goalscoring opportunity. If a player is fouled in the 20 yard area, they have to take their penalty from wherever they are fouled (unobstructed, except the keeper). The only exception is being fouled in the 6 yard area, where a penalty is taken from the spot.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
10 minutes in the sin bin for a yellow card and moving a free kick forwards 10 yards for dissent/not retreating/kicking the ball away would be good rules to copy from rugby.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Death penalty for diving whilst wearing any kit that looks like Barcelona or Steau Bucharest.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Defenders shepherding the ball out for a goal kick or throw in without attempting to play the ball and blocking off an opponent should receive a yellow card and the opposing team get an indirect free kick.

Don't understand the animosity here: I think it's a skillful part of play myself. It has to be timed well otherwise the defender looks a mug. Look at Wednesday's goal this week: Upson tried to shepherd it out, made a horlicks of it and conceded a goal.

When I used to play, I was a full-back and used to love it when wingers tried to run the ball past me me so I could block them - I could almost smell their frustration.

1. Don't stop play for injuries, let the physio's run on the pitch to attend while the game is carrying on. This would stop the feigners who go down as if shot then 2 minutes later get up & play on.

Agree with this: again, it's something that happens in rugby and it would cut out a lot of time-wasting. If they could introduce this and the 10-yard rule on free kicks, the game would be better

Yoda

English & European
Not allowing the 6 second rule for goalkeepers to be discretionary. Every game you see the opposing 'keeper hold on to the ball for 9-12 seconds minimum a time.

It's in FIFA's laws of the game, yet the bloody FA tell ref's to use their discretion. :facepalm:

Get rid of the offside rule :thumbsup:
I'd change the offside rule to make it apply only if the player is in the final third of the pitch, rather than the opponent's half, as at present. This would encourage teams to try a breakaway attack more frequently and make the game more entertaining to watch.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
With the sin bin idea, is there a danger of a player coming back from it suitably refreshed and then actually playing better? In other words the sin bin could work to the penalised team's advantage...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here