Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which law would you change / introduce to improve Football?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Defenders shepherding the ball out for a goal kick or throw in without attempting to play the ball and blocking off an opponent should receive a yellow card and the opposing team get an indirect free kick.

I mentioned this once to Ray Lewis who at the time was a Div 1 ref and he said it would cause uproar from the top, although technically it is obstruction so an indirect free kick, if they gave a kick every time it happened.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agents to be knee-capped

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I mentioned this once to Ray Lewis who at the time was a Div 1 ref and he said it would cause uproar from the top, although technically it is obstruction so an indirect free kick, if they gave a kick every time it happened.

Does my nut in! It IS obstruction, no attempt is being made to play the ball and the opposing player is being denied an opportunity by unfair means to attempt to get to the ball. Ray Lewis' view is often cited when shirt pulling/grappling at corners is discussed but eliminating both aspects (by yellow for obstructing defender/penalty for pulling/grappling) would quickly reduce such instances and make for a cleaner, more honest game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does my nut in! It IS obstruction, no attempt is being made to play the ball and the opposing player is being denied an opportunity by unfair means to attempt to get to the ball. Ray Lewis' view is often cited when shirt pulling/grappling at corners is discussed but eliminating both aspects (by yellow for obstructing defender/penalty for pulling/grappling) would quickly reduce such instances and make for a cleaner, more honest game.

I agree with you 100%

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Yes, it used to happen a lot, judging from the footage they used to show on ESPN Classic.

Referees would often bottle out of having to give a penalty and would give an indirect free-kick inside the area instead.

Sadly GR referees and bottle these days don't seem to go in the same sentence. I can't remember last time i saw it happen or when it was phased out of the game, late 70's early 80's? May be someone else may shed some light on the subject.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The off side law - it is too complicated and open to interpretation as it stands. Not a return to the old rules, but it could be made better (but not going to type a few hundred words to explain how!)

More important, though, I think, is something to stop fans being sold short when they've paid to see 11 v. 11, and don't get what ythey've paid for. So many things now are mandatory yellow or red cards - and the powers that be won't change that, so how about, two yellow cards, or a red card - no sending off, but suspended for the next game; only sent off for three yellows or a red and a yellow (there could also be a sort of double red and a sending off for tackles that were absolutely ABH or GBH - but no automatic sending off for just conceding a penalty, please - the penalty is sufficient punishment!)

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
1. Don't stop play for injuries, let the physio's run on the pitch to attend while the game is carrying on. This would stop the feigners who go down as if shot then 2 minutes later get up & play on.
2. On free kicks, you should be able to move the ball back, so the wall stays '10' yards from the offence but you can move the ball back a few yards to gain an advantage.
3. Stop refs applying rules that don't actually exist. My pet hate, the 'if that had been outside of the box it would have been a free kick' rule that isn't a rule.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't stop play for injuries, let the physio's run on the pitch to attend while the game is carrying on. This would stop the feigners who go down as if shot then 2 minutes later get up & play on.

What about making it 30 minutes each way with the ball in play? Stop the clock when the ball goes out for a throw in, goal kick, a corner or a free kick, or when play is stopped for an injured player (or any other stoppage).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Very tough choice between terraces and alcohol in view of the pitch.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
1. Yellow card for every 5th foul. I like that players and teams suffer for that game, not the next game!
2. Yellow card if opposition player touches the ball after fee kick has been awarded against them.
3. Yellow card if ball hits player from free kick if closer than 10 yards from ball.
4. Maybe 15 minutes sin bin for some yellow card offences?
5. 2 match ban/enforced lower league status for lines-persons! who do not make decisions in games - you know the ones who watch the ref and then point the flag in the appropriate direction.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
I have a few:

- Get rid of the penalty shoot out. Yes they are exciting, especially for the neutral but they are a complete lottery and means that the best team doesn't win in some cases. I don't know would you would replace it with, maybe extra time being unlimited but every 10 minutes 2 players from each side get's taken off? Eventually a goal will be scored, though this is just a brainstorm idea that just came into my head, and is probably stupid.

- Pause the clock instead of adding on time like in rugby when someone is injured. Injury time is a complete joke and is never the ACTUAL amount of time that had been wasted. When the 90 minutes is up then the ref blows his whistle the next time the ball goes out of play.

- Offside adjustment. If a player is literally inches offside then it doesn't count, only if it is dead obvious, the amount of times I've seen a player caught offside for having their toe or foot past the last defender is just ridiculous, it shouldn't count.

- REVIEW system. If let's say an offside decision looks dodgy or it wasn't clear if there was a hand ball or if a penalty was given for a dodgy dive, the team that was on the back end of that decision should be able to take it upstairs and another official can review the footage to tell the ref what happened. Let's say if a player was clearly offside and the linesman didn't for some reason spot it and the player goes onto score, then the opposing team can review it, and the bloke upstairs can analyse and overturn the decision. It's in loads of sports so why not football. We should reach a point where pretty much no wrong decision is made, it would make the game much fairer.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Defenders shepherding the ball out for a goal kick or throw in without attempting to play the ball and blocking off an opponent should receive a yellow card and the opposing team get an indirect free kick.

The problem seems to be that players are deemed to be in control of the ball and thus entitled to shield it. I would change it so that a player could not be deemed to be in control/possession unless they had touched the ball. Subtle but would transform the behaviours of players trying to let the ball run out of play.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
The problem seems to be that players are deemed to be in control of the ball and thus entitled to shield it. I would change it so that a player could not be deemed to be in control/possession unless they had touched the ball. Subtle but would transform the behaviours of players trying to let the ball run out of play.

Like it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Players can only be offside if moving forwards, if defenders move forward to play them offside, then they aren't.

Only the captain is allowed to speak to the ref.

Yellow card = 50% weeks wages fine

Ban Scottish managers

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I call my idea 'the leopard run'.

If any team incurs more than 5 yellow cards in a match, the other team and
officials leave the pitch. A hungry, nay ravenous leopard is then let loose onto
the pitch. Brings a whole new meaning to 'bites yer legs' (Norman Hunter).

I have sent this to the FA a number of times - but I never get a reply.

Fan4fifty

May 17, 2013
Copy hockey with substitutions- play continues whilst the substituted player leaves the pitch & when he crosses the line the sub comes on. Both players are sprinting - none of this shaking hands with their team mates & other time wasting tactics !

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I call my idea 'the leopard run'.

If any team incurs more than 5 yellow cards in a match, the other team and
officials leave the pitch. A hungry, nay ravenous leopard is then let loose onto
the pitch. Brings a whole new meaning to 'bites yer legs' (Norman Hunter).

I have sent this to the FA a number of times - but I never get a reply.

:clap:Winner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here