Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which law would you change / introduce to improve Football?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The moving the ball forward rule was unpopular as it became a disadvantage the nearer to the goal the ball was moved.

I would rather see players who encroach at free-kicks, pull shirts at corners or unduly contest referee's decisions removed temporarily from the field of play.

Simple change to the rule instead of going forward 10 yards the team can go upto 10 yards in any direction meaning their freekick by the sideline could become a nice shooting opportunity

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Mine's quite a drastic one but here goes:

Change the straight red for denying a goalscoring chance to a penalty, regardless of where on the pitch it was. It's no consolation to a team who lose out on points that a player will miss the next game. Getting a clear goalscoring chance in return seems much more just way of dealing with it.

Would also stop games being ruined by players getting sent off for a completely innocent mistimed tackle where he is deemed to be "the last man".

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Penalty for fouls outside the box where the foul has denied a goal scoring opportunity (instead if a red card).

Whoops, just saw this!

D

Deleted member 18477

I'd ban John Terry for life. That would improve football.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
When a player is injured and has to be treated by the physio, he should not have to then leave the pitch, to then have to wait to be called back on by the ref.
The team with the treated player is at a disadvantage for a short time.

If the player is injured they should drag themselves off the pitch without interupting the game.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
Penalty for fouls outside the box where the foul has denied a goal scoring opportunity (instead if a red card).

Penalty goal for a handball or any infringement that would have otherwise been a goal (like Suarez in the World Cup).

Retrospective bans for diving as shown by TV evidence.

Not so much a rule, but do away with the business of expecting your opponents to kick the ball out if someone on your team is 'injured'; teams can still play on with 1 man down. Although this is actually starting to happen.

This, this, this and this.

Also, while we're at it: Sort out the mess regarding injury time - refs seem to just completely make it up. Perhaps something more like rugby, allowing the ref to stop the watch during a major break in play and end the game on 90 minutes.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
The other thing I would like to see is independent time keepers that would eliminate time wasting. I think at the moment it has been established that ball can be in play for between 60 and 70 minutes out of the 90.

I think the people I sit with are bored of me saying this. I am fed up with shelling out money to watch football being played and yet 30% of the time seems to be spent these days watching players farting around time wasting.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Penalty shoot-outs to be replaced by woodwork count. If a team hits the woodwork more times than the other, they go through.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The laws are fine.

However the issue is that most referees have never played the game at a decent level so I would be saying that referees should be ex players.

The other issue is complete inconsistency...how you resolve that - in don't know. Referees make good and bad decisions but if they were consistent then it would help!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
But it would stop them faking an injury.

That is a fair point.
I think I havn't explained my point very well.
If an Albion defender was fouled and injured and had to leave the pitch for a short time, and the other team scored before he was called back on by the ref, the Albion would be at a disadvantage.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
I wouldn't mind seeing indirect free kicks inside the penalty area for fouls that are non direct scoring opportunities, i'm sure this use to happen years ago. Really grates me when penalties are given when clearly the player with the ball was not going towards the goal.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The laws are fine.

However the issue is that most referees have never played the game at a decent level so I would be saying that referees should be ex players.

The other issue is complete inconsistency...how you resolve that - in don't know. Referees make good and bad decisions but if they were consistent then it would help!

SIT DOWN!!:lolol:

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Defenders shepherding the ball out for a goal kick or throw in without attempting to play the ball and blocking off an opponent should receive a yellow card and the opposing team get an indirect free kick.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wouldn't mind seeing indirect free kicks inside the penalty area for fouls that are non direct scoring opportunities, i'm sure this use to happen years ago. Really grates me when penalties are given when clearly the player with the ball was not going towards the goal.

Yes, it used to happen a lot, judging from the footage they used to show on ESPN Classic.

Referees would often bottle out of having to give a penalty and would give an indirect free-kick inside the area instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here