Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which highly-rated players do you think are rubbish?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
View attachment 126302

22 goals and 6 assists in 30 games against the top 6 in PL.

He would do fine.

Fair enough :lolol:

If I'm really going to nitpick is like to see those broken down into home and away, and of course its not the whole story because he's playing in one of the greatest club teams of all time. Obviously I'm wrong. But he's still too one footed for my liking ;)

Actually as an aside, going to the Nou Camp was one of the weirdest experiences as it felt more like being at the Lionel Messi live theatre show than a football match, with everyone there part of an audience going solely to see him. It was so far away from a normal football crowd we see in England.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Maguire , and Stones are probably the most overrated CBs .

Benteke's made his living hoping he may score a goal now and then .

The one player that stands out for me as a total top rated waste of space is Ozil .

Benteke scores 40 odd goals in 89 apps whilst at villa not really hoping he might score now and then
Before he went to Palace he was half decent

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not offensive, just stupid.

He did play a few games against foreign opposition in the Champions League. Played 30+ times against the English top 4 and gets on average a goal or assist every 90th minute.

He's good. But he's not the messiah people claim he is. Average at International level. Gets way too much protection in Spain.He's not even the best player his country has ever produced!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
"Never done much in the world cup" :lolol:

Do you mean apart from single handedly dragging his country to the final and then winning the golden ball for being player of the tournament?!

Messi is under-rated if anything.

I guess I didn't watch the Brazil World Cup much. To be fair I do remember the commentators in 2018 saying precisely that about Messi, and I've formed my entire opinion based on those comments :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
James Ward-Prowse. I sort of went along with the received wisdom that he was a good player because he was the captain of the England under-21s until a friend of mine who is a Southampton season-ticket holder said he couldn't see what Ward-Prose did apart from take corners and free kicks. And once he'd said that, I couldn't either. I think Hasenhuttl has told him to put some serious effort in, such as tackling opponents, or lose his place. But if he was in the NFL, he'd be a special teams player, probably a kicker or punter.

And John Stones can't defend. Which would have been a problem in the days before defenders had to be comfortable in possession above all else. And actually still is.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Gabriel Jesus. Gets to lead the line for Man City and Brazil but I'm pretty sure you could put Chris O'Grady* upfront and supplied by all that talent he get just as many goals.

*well maybe not Chris O'Grady but you get my point

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Ok. I'm gonna be controversial now and say Messi.

Great player, but I would of liked to see him play in another country as well as Spain. That's why I rate Ronaldo as a better player.

Apologies if this offends anybody!!

I know what you mean with this.

It’s why I’m team Ronaldo too. He has done it with four different teams in four different countries.

Barcelona is completely built round Messi and his influence. Not done much for Argentina either really. Great player but he’s never left his comfort zone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I know what you mean with this.

It’s why I’m team Ronaldo too. He has done it with four different teams in four different countries.

Barcelona is completely built round Messi and his influence. Not done much for Argentina either really. Great player but he’s never left his comfort zone.

100% agree.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not offensive, just stupid.

He did play a few games against foreign opposition in the Champions League. Played 30+ times against the English top 4 and gets on average a goal or assist every 90th minute.

It isn’t stupid, it’s an opinion.

Totally unnecessary to come out with that just because you don’t agree with it.

Presume you always take that view with your always correct comments.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It isn’t stupid, it’s an opinion.

Totally unnecessary to come out with that just because you don’t agree with it.

Presume you always take that view with your always correct comments.

Its a stupid opinion.

"Which highly-rated players do you think are rubbish?"
- Lionel Messi.

Its almost the definition of a stupid opinion.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Pogba.

Great ability but doesn't understand the game as well as many others at his level. Can be erratic for both United and France but for the latter he has Kante covering for him.

Ozwald

Dec 8, 2019
Souness basically just saying football should be about hoofing it up to the strikers..smh...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Worryingly for England supporters:
Michael Keane
Mings
Stones
Winks
Dier
Callum Wilson

Oh well, there’s always the next England manager.

Pepe (£72m FFS)
Sissoko (Spurs). A bully when Spurs play well, then awful in the following two matches.
Daniel James
Billing
Josh King

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think Neymar is very good but I don't there's anything 'special' about him and have never understood how he's rated one of the best in the world.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sergio Ramos is to be hated just because he's a dirty *******, and yes, over rated.

Don't agree Beckham was over rated, I think he made best of limited talents and a great character for England (I'll never forget the Greece equaliser).

Andy Caroll, most interesting thing about him was his beard recently. Fluked a career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here