Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which club would be your billionaire's football project?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Oxford United.

Purely and simply because it would annoy the shit out of Swindon fans, who CAN'T ABIDE Oxford.

I have an irrational dislike of Swindon :D

I thought of Oxford, but for a completely different reason - the sale of the ridiculously quirky Manor Ground and the move to the deadly dull Kassam Stadium. So first I'd buy back all the houses that now occupy the sire of the Manor and recreate the original in all its mad crappiness, including the three-way slope on the pitch. Then demolish the new place and move the team back to Headington.

I also thought of AFC Wimbledon. But that gave me the best idea - buying MK Dons and moving them to the Orkney Islands.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Exeter for me (I have made this happen on a few FM saves but through expert management rather than billions). They have some lovely little traditions and quirks, as well as the fact they’re majority fan-owned. A fans groups pay the wages of a first-team squad member every season and give them the 31 shirt, in honour of their 1931 FA Cup run, they have a partnership with Fluminense after touring Brazil in the 1910s and apparently being the opposition for the Brazilian national team’s first ever game, Michael Jackson used to be an honourary director when Uri Geller was involved and nobody is quite sure how their nickname ‘The Grecians’ even came about, though there’s a load of theories. They have produced some good players recently as well like Ollie Watkins, Matt Grimes and Ethan Ampadu, amongst others over the years. A likeable club all-round really. I’d let the supporters keep 51% as well and just give them that bit of extra financial clout to improve the facilities and gradually increase the club’s stature whilst making sure it’s sustainable for the foreseeable.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I like Forest Green and what they're doing there - but I think the Football Manager dream of taking a local and small club up the leagues is pretty hard to turn down. Shoreham (but a long project!) or Lewes would be fun to see rising through the national league and into the EFL

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm tempted to exploit a loophole in the OP and say Aberdeen, just to shake up the Scottish hegemony and put some Old Firm noses out of joint. Plus Scotland is still in the same country (at time of writing).

If we take it in the spirit it's intended, then definitely Coventry. Build them a new ground out of SISU control and set about Making Coventry Great Again.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Bradford City or Scunthorpe United
Bradford as it's my nearest league club and they seem to be the forgotten club around W Yorkshire way,
Scunny as my best mates from there (although he hates football!)

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Am I allowed Hereford (FC was Utd)? My dad's old team and the first one I was ever taken to see. Stood behind the goal, John Charles (yes, him) leathers a shot in the warm up straight into my face and I am off down the County hospital before the match has even started. Later on the old man took me to see the annual Boxing Day grudge match vs Merthyr - proper racist that fixture. Then there were two periods in the Football League (we all know how the first one ended) followed by financial oblivion. Edgar Street could use a lick of paint these days but it used to rock when full. My dad died the day we beat Doncaster at the Amex. I still feel I owe his home town team a share of our good fortune. That's where I'd like to put my gazillians, anyway. *Awaits flack*

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
scarb.jpg

The Seadogs

I like the town, good fish and chips and I'm 1/2 Scarborian ... and there needs to be an established biggest team in Yorkshire.

EDIT... I've just checked and their ground is The Flamingoland Stadium.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dunno. Somewhere where people are pretty poor and with high unemployment rates, so they can get something to cheer up about and since a big club usually got like 500 employees it would probably help a little bit in that way as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Notts C.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Torquay. Reasonable sized town, never won anything or been anywhere near the top flight. Plenty of space round Plainmoor, currently occupied by The Spires college and a swimming pool; buy them out and there is room for a mahoosive stadium. I'd put a massive car park unders the stadium (will probably have to excavate Devonian granite to do this but money no object, right?).

Possibly an easier task than you’re anticipating.

Large parts of Torquay are actually above an ancient cave system - you ever been down Kents Cavern?

Doesn’t extend as far as Plainmoor, but you could probably build a linking tunnel and job’s a good ‘un. Instant underground carpark.

I’ll come in as co-investor, if that’s ok. My wife grew up in Torquay, so she has an old affection for the Gulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I dunno. Somewhere where people are pretty poor and with high unemployment rates, so they can get something to cheer up about and since a big club usually got like 500 employees it would probably help a little bit in that way as well.

Another vote for Tranmere then?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
View attachment 126463

The Seadogs

I like the town, good fish and chips and I'm 1/2 Scarborian ... and there needs to be an established biggest team in Yorkshire.

EDIT... I've just checked and their ground is The Flamingoland Stadium.

Not sure if that's better or worse than the former Theatre of Chips, the McCain Stadium.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Modena

Great location, great food, great transportation options, a race circuit for other activities

Or Shoreham, my home town and an old club, just bereft of investment and not very well run. would also get rid of Tim Loughton.

Slight amendment

Could you make that your first objective

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Possibly an easier task than you’re anticipating.

Large parts of Torquay are actually above an ancient cave system - you ever been down Kents Cavern?

Doesn’t extend as far as Plainmoor, but you could probably build a linking tunnel and job’s a good ‘un. Instant underground carpark.

I’ll come in as co-investor, if that’s ok. My wife grew up in Torquay, so she has an old affection for the Gulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done. This will be a WINNER. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here