Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which club would be your billionaire's football project?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Guess if we're looking at non-league clubs, it would be highly amusing for several reasons to take Gateshead FC and turn them into a world football superpower.

Don’t mention them. They knocked my side out of play offs last weekend after we had a pen in sudden death to win.

I would pick cov. I went to uni there and my girlfriend lived in the shadow of highfield road. I would buy a plot of land inside the ring road, pay lots of bungs and bring the club back to the city.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Oxford United.

Purely and simply because it would annoy the shit out of Swindon fans, who CAN'T ABIDE Oxford.

I have an irrational dislike of Swindon :D

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Oxford United.

Purely and simply because it would annoy the shit out of Swindon fans, who CAN'T ABIDE Oxford.

I have an irrational dislike of Swindon :D

You've obviously not met [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] he's the mayor of Swindon, or so he tells me :lol:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Borth Utd , I would first make sure I could have planning permission for a giant waterside from my bedroom to the pitch side hot tub , I'd spend the rest on a giant flag , they cost hundreds of millions and take 6 years to make .

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Being my former hometown, I’d take Burgess Hill to the PL with my vast wealth. If not them, Lewes. And, If we’re talking FL clubs, I’d go for Crawley. Now I’m sure some of you are judging me already but it’s a small, Sussex based club that this Sussex born and bred hypothetical billionaire would invest in :D

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If I really had Billions and could afford to really overspend for a period of 20 years or so I would buy Motherwell Football Club

It wouldn't work short term but I would put a team together like Man City have done - Build a new Stadium and Win the Scottish League every year. And compete constantly in the Champions League against teams like Real Madrid and Juventus competitively

All the Catholics from the Motherwell area who currently go to watch Celtic and all the Protestants who go to watch Rangers. - As their kids who grow up they would stop going to watch Celtic and Rangers every week because they would be fed up of having their arses whipped by Motherwell every time they play them and within 20 to 25 years Scottish football in the West of Scotland wouldn't be governed by a Catholic / Protestant divide because kids are drawn to Success within football.

'' And then I would wake up ''

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My first thoughts, Bristol City. But given that I'd presumably have to show my face, and thus spend some of my dosh on a decent gaff, it could be Torquay. Reasonable sized town, never won anything or been anywhere near the top flight. Plenty of space round Plainmoor, currently occupied by The Spires college and a swimming pool; buy them out and there is room for a mahoosive stadium. I'd put a massive car park unders the stadium (will probably have to excavate Devonian granite to do this but money no object, right?). Or maybe build out of town next to Eden Vauxhall? Mmmmm....rapiodly losing enthusiasm. What else?

Faversham will double in size in the next 15 years. Faversham Town could be perfect for investment. I'd run a road off the M2 so no cars need enter and spoil my town, and maybe run an (underground) rail link from Faversham station, possibly going all the way to Ashford for easy transport links when we are playing in the Champions' League. Yes, yes, that could work. And we have three lions on the shirt!

Faversham_Town_F.C.png

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Worthing, although think George Dowell is doing a great job there. Think Worthing is the biggest town in the UK without a professional club, could be wrong, but massive potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Crewe.

Close enough to hump off Liverpool, Everton & the Manchesters.

Then I would go raiding these big clubs for their best talent as they have from Crewe over the years.

Plus great rail links to bring in the glory hunters from around the country. After about 20 years I would take out all my investment and pump it into Macclesfield.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Penistone Church FC. Just watch them SKYROCKET from the ninth tier to the Premier League, with the sole reason that it would annoy TV broadcasters.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Spurs, a lovely new stadium and a huge population around for a fan base. If I was going to spend all that money I would want packed stadiums to appreciate it

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the only project that would really get my juices flowing is in the scenario that the Premier League increased their number of teams and offered places to Scotland and Ireland.

In that scenario I would love to run a Dublin club - population 1.4million - in a brand new stadium, huge catchment area, cracking away destination for fans.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tranmere Rovers.

Although there’ll always be the lure of their red and blue near neighbours across the Mersey, The Wirral with a population of a 1/3 of a million so it’s decent catchment. Have always respected the fans enduring loyalty.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Notts County, one of the originals, they were in the first div with us and beat us in the Play offs, some time ago! Should be back where they belong, or Carmarthen (Local) take them into the English, mind you that would mean I have to move as well!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bradford City

Went to university there in 96 and had a student season ticket there until they reached and stayed up in the prem on the last day of the 2000 season.

They had a string of poor owners and almost went pop such as we.

They have the fire tragedy in their past. Often forgotten in the light of hillsborough.

They have a lobsided but really atmospheric stadium in valley parade.

They get 12000 regularly in the lower leagues and could easily fill 25-30k in the prem.

They live in the shadow of Leeds and what better time to try and overshadow their illustrious West Yorkshire rivals than now, during their renaissance!

That’s where I’m spending my billions if uncle Tony doesn’t want to sell up!

Absolutely this. I was at uni in Bradford too and spent some time watching the Bantams (even had a City shirt).

Bradford's a big city so there's a hell of a catchment area and it would piss Leeds off so much

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My first thoughts, Bristol City. But given that I'd presumably have to show my face, and thus spend some of my dosh on a decent gaff, it could be Torquay. Reasonable sized town, never won anything or been anywhere near the top flight. Plenty of space round Plainmoor, currently occupied by The Spires college and a swimming pool; buy them out and there is room for a mahoosive stadium. I'd put a massive car park unders the stadium (will probably have to excavate Devonian granite to do this but money no object, right?). Or maybe build out of town next to Eden Vauxhall? Mmmmm....rapiodly losing enthusiasm. What else?

Faversham will double in size in the next 15 years. Faversham Town could be perfect for investment. I'd run a road off the M2 so no cars need enter and spoil my town, and maybe run an (underground) rail link from Faversham station, possibly going all the way to Ashford for easy transport links when we are playing in the Champions' League. Yes, yes, that could work. And we have three lions on the shirt!

View attachment 126444

"But first up on Match of the Day tonight, second placed Manchester United were the visitors to runaway leaders Faversham Town. Guy Mowbray was watching the action to see Ole Gunnar Solskjær's men would become the latest to be added to [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] raidly lengthening ignore list."

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nobody fancies Carlisle?

Pros: you could reside somewhere glorious in the Lake District; nick fans from both sides of the border; annoy Newcastle and the Greater Manchester/ Merseyside clubs with your success. Very decent catchment area, currently starved of any sort of footballing success so they'd lap it up.

Cons: I can't actually remember if Carlisle is very nice. Also, floods a lot (see: Shrewsbury).

I also gave Port Vale a thought, purely on the basis of how horrified Stoke fans would be to find themselves overshadowed by their tiny neighbours after all these years.

However, I then remembered that (1) it's in Stoke on Trent and (2) Robbie Williams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here