[Albion] Which Albion player has annoyed you the most since you started watching the Albion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Another vote for Robbie Savage for the exact reason others have mentioned.

Two controversial ones......Gary Hart and CMS. Both triers so loved by many but both a bit shit! Hart played in a crap team so guess can be forgiven. CMS though was our first real big signing, Poyet had pulled off a massive coup getting him but from day one it was obvious he wasn't actually that good. Remember an evening game against Leeds in his early days, we were 1-3 down at half time and he was terrible. Said at half time we've signed a right donkey here. Of course he went on to score twice and we drew the game 3-3. I was roundly panned for my comments at half time. Turned out I was right though.

More recently Solly but I'm very pleased to say my opinion there has completely changed.

Joe Gatting annoyed me a lot. Prolific in reserves & youth level and borderline useless at 1st team level; yet had loads of chances. A degree of a name buys you chances and time? Same could pretty much be said for his cricket career.

Honourable mention to Daniel Webb - another whose family connections perhaps bought them more time than their 'talent' deserved.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Ashley Barnes, a thug, a cheat, a moaner ( still is) no idea why people liked him. Helmet on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I know he's just died but Allan Gilliver.

Brushed aside by defenders in the box.

I was only a lad but I felt let down.

Harsh Harry.
Gilly wasn’t the most skilful of players, but he did have the knack of scoring some very useful goals, either from playing from the off or from the subs bench. I can remember him coming on and managing to rescue the Albion with quite a few goals back in the day.
I liked him and it is so sad to see him now on the tv programme about dementia.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Connolly.

Great youth career, hit the ground running with an outstanding performance v Spurs, won international caps at such a young age. Rewarded with a lucrative new long contract with us.

And it has all been downhill since then with poor perfomances and off the field controversies and stupid haircuts.

Still has time to redeem himself though...

Agreed.
I have to say that when I read about the player arrested, my first thought was that it was him.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Another vote for Robbie Savage for the exact reason others have mentioned.

Two controversial ones......Gary Hart and CMS. Both triers so loved by many but both a bit shit! Hart played in a crap team so guess can be forgiven. CMS though was our first real big signing, Poyet had pulled off a massive coup getting him but from day one it was obvious he wasn't actually that good. Remember an evening game against Leeds in his early days, we were 1-3 down at half time and he was terrible. Said at half time we've signed a right donkey here. Of course he went on to score twice and we drew the game 3-3. I was roundly panned for my comments at half time. Turned out I was right though.

More recently Solly but I'm very pleased to say my opinion there has completely changed.

Gary Hart is an Albion legend. Another player who made going to Gillingham cosniderably less S**t.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harsh Harry.
Gilly wasn’t the most skilful of players, but he did have the knack of scoring some very useful goals, either from playing from the off or from the subs bench. I can remember him coming on and managing to rescue the Albion with quite a few goals back in the day.
I liked him and it is so sad to see him now on the tv programme about dementia.

I'm not quibbling about his sad state of health, of course, and my memory of his prowess may be tainted by time.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Knocky.

Loved him but when he'd get in one of his stroppy moods or would go hero mode and wouldn't pass to a team mate when they were in a better position it would annoy the shit out of me.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
You prove my point nicely.

If thats the case then maybe I need to calrify. Your point was that Hart annoyed you for being crap. In my opinion Hart wasn't crap, far from it. He's a club legend and deserves better than being lumped into a thread where players like Best, Knight, Savage etc are being criticised.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It’s a broadchurch of answers really, for underachieving it has to be a toss up between Jeff Minton, Robert Codner or Jason Peake, for basically ‘nicking a living’ probably Paul Kitson and for clearly being totally out of his depth, Glen Thomas, Ashley Neal or Michael Mahoney-Johnson.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ashley Barnes, a thug, a cheat, a moaner ( still is) no idea why people liked him. Helmet on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let it go mate!

Vicente, but actually more specifically Poyet, for not giving him more game time. I know he was fragile, but I cannot understand why even a half fit Vicente couldn’t get into our team as when he did appear, he was the best player I have ever seen for brighton in my 48 years of watching us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let it go mate!

Vicente, but actually more specifically Poyet, for not giving him more game time. I know he was fragile, but I cannot understand why even a half fit Vicente couldn’t get into our team as when he did appear, he was the best player I have ever seen for brighton in my 48 years of watching us.

Not Trossard? :lolol:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If thats the case then maybe I need to calrify. Your point was that Hart annoyed you for being crap. In my opinion Hart wasn't crap, far from it. He's a club legend and deserves better than being lumped into a thread where players like Best, Knight, Savage etc are being criticised.

So what you are saying is I'm not allowed to have a different opinion to you?

To clarify.....Hart was crap, playing in a crap side at a car crash of a club.

What annoyed me was he was (and still is it would seem) put on a pedestal by the likes of you because he scored a handful of goals in a terrible side, had a "funny" song and a quirky story behind his signing. The reality is he ran around a lot with little end product. But people wouldn't and it appears won't have a bad word said against him.

I'm not suggesting he wasn't a good servant to the club at all (or CMS for that matter) and I'm sure he's a very nice bloke, in fact I know he is, at that time I was working at Sussex Uni and often used to walk up to watch the lads train on my breaks, he would always have time to say hello.

But Albion legend? Not even in close. Cult hero maybe.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What annoyed me was he was (and still is it would seem) put on a pedestal by the likes of you because he scored a handful of goals in a terrible side, had a "funny" song and a quirky story behind his signing. The reality is he ran around a lot with little end product. But people wouldn't and it appears won't have a bad word said against him.

I'm not suggesting he wasn't a good servant to the club at all (or CMS for that matter) and I'm sure he's a very nice bloke, in fact I know he is, at that time I was working at Sussex Uni and often used to walk up to watch the lads train on my breaks, he would always have time to say hello.

Agree 100%

Above average in an absolutely shit team, but there was very little talent behind the effort.

He stayed at the club about 5 years longer than he ought to have as well. He went about 4 YEARS without scoring a goal FFS, and still people were begging for him to be given chance after chance.

Didn't help that I bumped into him in hospitality at Spurs v Albion (at the new Spurs gaff), cheering on Spurs, with his FKW spurs kid.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Hart was a good player in the Division 3 and Division 2 winning sides on that right wing. He had a decent cross on him and was quick

Then he broke his leg quite nastily and I don't think he really got back to that same level

Probably stuck around too long but for a few years he was a pretty useful player in my view

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

Of cousre you're allowed to have an opinion.

But i would argue a player being "crap" is relative to the level we're playing at, and although he wouldn't get in todays side he played a really important role for us in promotion seasons, and to just dismiss him because the standard was lower (which is what it comes across as) is insulting to him.

And yeah he is a legend. You don't have to be the best player to have ever played for us or to have played in the prem to gain the honour. As I say he earned 3 promotions with us, and played during the clubs lowest ebb. He didn't score 30 goals a season, but he did give it everything and spent his entrie professional career with us. That's something I really respect, but I acknowledge some fans are more fickle than me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports