Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would you invest £15k?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Agreed - good examples - part of the issue with the funds route is there are so many to choose from.......I use mostly funds myself, tend to aim for a wide range (not all eggs in one basket etc) and use those with good track records (both the firm and the manager). Very rarely take a punt on individual equities personally, as well as being on the cautious/low risk side I don't have the time or more importantly the expertise to do the research and make decisions (and I am also bound by some dealing restrictions which might impact my ability to get in/out when I want) - so I figure that the 0.5-1% a year I essentially pay to Fidelity or Jupiter or whoever to do that for me is worth it.

The earlier comment re gold was interesting. My worst performing fund over 5+ years by absolutely miles is a small amount I put in a commodities fund which has a heavy gold bias..................

This is pretty much exactly how I do it. Use the fund managers with a very good track record. Like anything in life, let the experts be expert at what they are experts at.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That's done well........but if you don't know the market, how would you choose ?

There are 6 Bordeaux 1st growths. Any one of them from a decent vintage (use Parker as your guide for what constitutes a good vintage - his opinions drive the international prices for the very top-end wines) will show similar results to the one I cite. E&OE.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I talked about 1st growths over a 5 year period, at least doubling your money.

Have a look at Mouton Rothschild 2000.

2002 = £2500
2007 = £5000
2012 = £10,000

Have a look at the graph - certainly not what most would regard as volatile. There are plenty of other wines that show very similar trends - so not high risk either. IMO, of course.

2000-Mouton.jpg

Inappropriate use of 5 year start time...4, 3, 2 & 1 years back from the cut off shows either flat or down

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
How long can Oil stay the price it is ? Gold is slowly on the up. However the real killer is not like you say housing,but that little bit of land that gives access to any building development.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Inappropriate use of 5 year start time...4, 3, 2 & 1 years back from the cut off shows either flat or down

Huh? The only 5 year period which is flat-ish (and even that is up, albeit only a little) is if you start at t=0. There are no 5 year periods that are down. All the other 5 year periods starting with 08/02, are up over the period.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Check out Absolute Return funds - low risk funds that aim to produce positive returns in all market conditions. Look them up

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Check out Absolute Return funds - split it 50/50 between Standard Life GARS fund & Old Mutual GEAR fund - both low risk funds that aim to produce positive returns in all market conditions. Look them up

I think all investment funds claim to aim to produce positive returns dont they ??

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I think all investment funds claim to aim to produce positive returns dont they ??
Funds investing solely in shares/equities will go up and down with the stock market. These are designed to produce positive returns whatever the weather

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Funds investing solely in shares/equities will go up and down with the stock market. These are designed to produce positive returns whatever the weather

I am not trying to be smart, but what investments have only a guaranteed upwards return (away from saving guarantees etc), if its not guaranteed then they they act like any other investment, with a risk of going down too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am not trying to be smart, but what investments have only a guaranteed upwards return (away from saving guarantees etc), if its not guaranteed then they they act like any other investment, with a risk of going down too.

Not Absolute Return Funds, that's for sure - as mentioned above - they AIM to achieve positive returns regardless of market movement. Most don't. meaning they are 'funds'. Recent article in the Torygraph is worth reading for a bit of background.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...our-absolute-return-funds-hit-the-target.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who said Klopp to Liverpool?
Someone who doesn't understand the 'next manager' betting market? Good luck sticking £15k on something like that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A couple of nice conditioned stainless steel Rolex sports watches.

Wear them, enjoy them, sell them for more when you need the cash.

A chap who used to work for FIFA asked me if I wanted one of those the other day. He's selling them at the top of Duke Street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here