Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would you invest £15k?

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
If you are working and paying tax additional payments to your pension wold be hard to beat especially as you are close to retirement.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Buy and fit your own personal waterslide from the WSU to the train platform.

A license to print money.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Newton Global Income Class W - Accumulation (GBP)
Worldwide Healthcare Trust plc (WWH) Ordinary 25p
CF Woodford Equity Income Class Z - Accumulation (GBP)

I have been in these for a while and have just invested more. I would be surprised if you didn't make between 5-15% PA over five years.

Market-linked funds are potentially a decent solution if you're prepared to take a bit of risk and to tie the money up for say 5 years + - do your research on them though - firms and individual managers with good track records, funds with high ratings etc and probably best sticking with the larger firms. Some low-cost deals available through 'fund supermarkets'

I'd strongly suggest anything like watches, wine or commodities (eg gold) should be considered as high risk and volatile. For example - if you'd put your 15k into gold 5 years ago you'd have lost about 10% at todays price (but could have cashed out 30% up after a year)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'd buy gold. It's as safe as it gets.

Really? If you had bought gold five years ago you would have lost 20% today. If you had bought at the peak in 2011 you would have lost 42%.

Also those proposing equity investments over five years for a medium risk investor? That's far too short an investment period and I would be shot if I recommended that.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Stick it in the Ernie bonds. Chance of a million quid each month and with £15k you *should* win a prize every couple of months. You can also cash some in if you're a bit strapped after blowing a load on cocaine and hookers celebrating our promotion next May.
This but not too sure about the cashing in bit lol !

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Bought into CityFibre Infrastructure Holdings CFIH) last week @ 64p. Securing good contract wins recently in Edinburgh ousting BT & working for Vodafone in York

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Market-linked funds are potentially a decent solution if you're prepared to take a bit of risk and to tie the money up for say 5 years + - do your research on them though - firms and individual managers with good track records, funds with high ratings etc and probably best sticking with the larger firms. Some low-cost deals available through 'fund supermarkets'

I'd strongly suggest anything like watches, wine or commodities (eg gold) should be considered as high risk and volatile. For example - if you'd put your 15k into gold 5 years ago you'd have lost about 10% at todays price (but could have cashed out 30% up after a year)

I was just advising what I have done with my investments. It's worked well for me. People can obviously choose what they do with their own investments.

theboybilly

That's where the fun would come in for me. But actually thinking about investing in watches etc just goes to prove (to myself) that I'm more one for medium risk. Thanks for your suggestions everyone (even Diablo :p) There's plenty of food for thought there

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Having worked for a investment fund not many decent fund managers would be interested in 15k they see the small investors as more of an hinderence as they worry more about their money.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm finding this out judging by some of the cold calls I've had in the past couple of months

Ignore them for sure.......no need to talk to anyone unless you really want to (will start costing you as soon as you do......!) - you can do all your own research, and invest online - somewhere like this where there are over 2,000 funds available

https://www.barclaysstockbrokers.co.uk/investments/Funds/Pages/explore-funds.aspx

or equivalents from places such as Hargreaves Lansdown etc. You can invest from £500-1000 upwards in a lot of the major companies individual funds

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was just advising what I have done with my investments. It's worked well for me. People can obviously choose what they do with their own investments.

Agreed - good examples - part of the issue with the funds route is there are so many to choose from.......I use mostly funds myself, tend to aim for a wide range (not all eggs in one basket etc) and use those with good track records (both the firm and the manager). Very rarely take a punt on individual equities personally, as well as being on the cautious/low risk side I don't have the time or more importantly the expertise to do the research and make decisions (and I am also bound by some dealing restrictions which might impact my ability to get in/out when I want) - so I figure that the 0.5-1% a year I essentially pay to Fidelity or Jupiter or whoever to do that for me is worth it.

The earlier comment re gold was interesting. My worst performing fund over 5+ years by absolutely miles is a small amount I put in a commodities fund which has a heavy gold bias..................

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
A couple of nice conditioned stainless steel Rolex sports watches.

Wear them, enjoy them, sell them for more when you need the cash.

Did exactly that, bought a submariner, wore it for five years, sold it and made £800.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'd strongly suggest anything like...wine.....should be considered as high risk and volatile

I talked about 1st growths over a 5 year period, at least doubling your money.

Have a look at Mouton Rothschild 2000.

2002 = £2500
2007 = £5000
2012 = £10,000

Have a look at the graph - certainly not what most would regard as volatile. There are plenty of other wines that show very similar trends - so not high risk either. IMO, of course.

2000-Mouton.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I talked about 1st growths over a 5 year period, at least doubling your money.

Have a look at Mouton Rothschild 2000.

2002 = £2500
2007 = £5000
2012 = £10,000

Have a look at the graph - certainly not what most would regard as volatile. There are plenty of other wines that show very similar trends - so not high risk either. IMO, of course.

2000-Mouton.jpg

That's done well........but if you don't know the market, how would you choose ? I could easily pick any number of equities with similar or better charts.........but I doubt you'll find an IFA anywhere that would recommend fine wines to anyone in the situation the OP describes and they'd be generically in higher risk categories of investment (seem to recall the FCA even banned collectives based on wine in 2013 along with other commodities in certain situations) and considered more volatile than many other investment classes

Decent article recently in City AM (yes, really LOL) for anyone thinking about it.

http://www.cityam.com/214077/how-avoid-hangover-investing-fine-wine

*sits back and waits to be proved wrong by NSC band of IFAs*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here