Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would you invest £15k?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I've managed to pay up my mortgage a little early and have around £15,000 to invest over 5 years or so. Do any money-savvy NSCers have any advice where I should invest? I have already used up this years ISA allowance and have a little extra set aside for emergencies.

Many thanks in advance

Keep an eye on NS&I deals !

Income Bonds or Index Linked NSCs

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What are you look to achieve from it?

If you are unlikely to need it for a while, then stocks and shares ISA can be good.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Avoid Bonds too, I had about 10k in them for a year as a few recommended on here, and got very little back over the year.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
"Independent " Finincial advise.

Does it really exist?

Well no but Independent Financial Advice does.

Unfortunately for the OP however however the rules and regulations that we all abide by make advising on sums below about £100k or so uneconomic so he will struggle to find any professional interested in helping. You can thank our regulators for that.

theboybilly

What are you look to achieve from it?

If you are unlikely to need it for a while, then stocks and shares ISA can be good.

Although interest is tax-free in ISAs I'm not too sure if these are the better bet. There are current accounts that offer better returns even after tax. I have an savings account that offers 6% but I can only invest £3,600 in a year and then have to make sure that the same rate is offered on the anniversary or move on.
As for the bigger sum, I'm just looking to get a bit more interest than the paltry rates that are available normally. I just thought I would ask on here to see if anybody had an inkling of a decent opportunity. Nothing is guaranteed in life, I realise that. A five-year investment would see me to 65 years of age. I'm not saving for anything in particular as I've been slowly and carefully getting my house in order both metaphorically and physically so that hopefully I can retire without too much worry. I'm not looking for anything high-risk....moderate at best for me I think.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Rolex's sister range, Tudor seem to offer better value. As do Brietling and Heuer amongst others. That said Rolex will always have a strong following.
I wouldn't know where to begin though

A Tudor watch will not hold a return anywhere like face value after 3-5 years (at best a 60% return on a pre-owned Tudor, likewise a Tag or a Breitling) whilst a Rolex Submariner will continue to steadily increase in value over the same period of time. If you look after it and keep all original boxes/warranty cards you will see a decent return.

theboybilly

Well no but Independent Financial Advice does.

Unfortunately for the OP however however the rules and regulations that we all abide by make advising on sums below about £100k or so uneconomic so he will struggle to find any professional interested in helping. You can thank our regulators for that.

How true is that.....I started getting phone calls asking about my investment needs - as soon as I mentioned it was only £30-35k (at the time) they looked for ways out of the conversation.

theboybilly

A Tudor watch will not hold a return anywhere like face value after 3-5 years (at best a 60% return on a pre-owned Tudor, likewise a Tag or a Breitling) whilst a Rolex Submariner will continue to steadily increase in value over the same period of time. If you look after it and keep all original boxes/warranty cards you will see a decent return.

I'm not sure this is for me but out of interest where would you look to buy and sell quality watches? I really have no idea

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Although interest is tax-free in ISAs I'm not too sure if these are the better bet. There are current accounts that offer better returns even after tax. I have an savings account that offers 6% but I can only invest £3,600 in a year and then have to make sure that the same rate is offered on the anniversary or move on.
As for the bigger sum, I'm just looking to get a bit more interest than the paltry rates that are available normally. I just thought I would ask on here to see if anybody had an inkling of a decent opportunity. Nothing is guaranteed in life, I realise that. A five-year investment would see me to 65 years of age. I'm not saving for anything in particular as I've been slowly and carefully getting my house in order both metaphorically and physically so that hopefully I can retire without too much worry. I'm not looking for anything high-risk....moderate at best for me I think.

From next tax year the first £1,000 of interest p.a. is tax free (£500 if you are a higher rate tax payer) so unless you are using this elsewhere don't worry too much about the ISA wrapper.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Low,medium or high risk?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
1st growth Bordeaux from a decent vintage (or Screaming Eagle) - held in bond in a London bonded warehouse. Hold for 5 years. Double your money (at least) every time. Allegedly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Without knowing your overall circumstances..appetite to risk etc surely its hard to offer any guidance....but best of luck

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I'd open an account with a broker such as Hargreaves Lansdown or BestInvest and invest it in Neil Woodford's Equity Income Fund. The fund started in June 2014 and was up about 18% in first year. So far in Year 2 it's about even but considering FTSE100 is down about 15% in last 3-4 months that's very good. You'll pay about 1% in fees per year.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Spend it! I save up money then spend it all of travel. Reckless? Nah, not at all, I would say it is an investment.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Where would you invest £15k?

Probably where I invested my last £15k. . . Bet365. Though be warned the interest paid can be low and intermittent. The upside is they do occasionally pay an unexpected bonus :whistle:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
..you have a problem what to do with your money I have a problem with lack of money...Give it to me ...Both our problems solved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here