Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where now for Poyet ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If I were a club chairman in the championship or lower premier league then I'd definitely consider him.

Remember, most chairmen have egos too and they'll think they can control him.

And when he returns as a visiting manager I'll give him a warm welcome of thanks.

Just wish he'd left with more dignity.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hope he does well. There are many ego centred managers who have had outbursts out there in the wide world, some have talent, others not so much. It doesn't stop them getting offered jobs.

Aug 23, 2011
I strongly believe that if Suarez hadn't used that word to Evra, then the subsequent convoluted chain of events would not have lead us to this outcome, but maybe to one with a happy Gus preparing with us for a season in the Premier League.

*speculation*, yes. Libellous accusations against any individuals, no.

i don't see how the Suarez situation affected our season at all.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have a feeling that it isn't over yet.

It was a proper tribunal, the club have followed their procedure, if Gus or the LMA are unhappy with the verdict then it stands to reason that there is also an appeal procedure. Which means it could drag on longer.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Peter Taylor Mark One went and made up a management team that won a League Championship and Two European cups, he's the only one that really bucked the trend.

Steve Coppell went on to do some good things with Reading too.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Don't care where he goes to be honest
Most managers who leave here and think the grass is greener etc have failed miserably
I think that says as much about BHA and its former ambitions as it does about former managers. - Clough was only one to really buck the trend but he wasn't here for long. Everyone else disappeared into obscurity.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If I were Swansea, I'd take Di Matteo rather than Poyet. Far less hassle, controversy, has got teams out of the Championship (more than Poyet has done), and has experience with managing bigger name players.

I think he'll struggle to find a club better than what he had here, to be honest.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I really struggle with this anti Gus stuff. When he became our manager it was a bit like the geeky kid ending up bedding the head cheerleader. It was never going to be for ever but he helped raise our profile and we had some fun on the way. Okay he was high maintenance but the results justified the efforts. The time has come to part the ways - in the interim we have done good (to stretch the analogy, we've founded facebook) but I for one don't want to remember the parting, I want to remember the good times.

I really hope we get a manager who keeps and develops the style we now have and who can takes us further. But the premier league is not the be all and end all. I also hope that Gus gets a good job and is succesful. He is a precocious talent.

And if I'm to be blunt, now we've done good we should also be looking out for our old mates. Charlie oatway is going through a tougher time than many of us can imagine and I only hope that he doesn't get ruined by the collateral damage that the Willy waving of the last few weeks has caused.

Great post. Amazing how quickly Gus has gone from hero to zero.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't think Poyet will have problems. He does have a successful track record (for all the nay-sayers here), and we were within one game of potential promotion (we would have beaten Watford). Also a couple fewer goals against in the last five minutes of games and we might even have made automatic promotion. The rubbishing of the last two seasons of acheivment is wholly unwarrented

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
He said he'd only leave us for a special club, right?

Step forward the mighty Scunthorpe United. They're a bit 'special'. :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really struggle with this anti Gus stuff. When he became our manager it was a bit like the geeky kid ending up bedding the head cheerleader. It was never going to be for ever but he helped raise our profile and we had some fun on the way. Okay he was high maintenance but the results justified the efforts. The time has come to part the ways - in the interim we have done good (to stretch the analogy, we've founded facebook) but I for one don't want to remember the parting, I want to remember the good times.

I really hope we get a manager who keeps and develops the style we now have and who can takes us further. But the premier league is not the be all and end all. I also hope that Gus gets a good job and is succesful. He is a precocious talent.

And if I'm to be blunt, now we've done good we should also be looking out for our old mates. Charlie oatway is going through a tougher time than many of us can imagine and I only hope that he doesn't get ruined by the collateral damage that the Willy waving of the last few weeks has caused.
Absolutely spot on. I don't understand the clamour from some to lay into him, just because the time has come for club and manager to go their separate ways. He has largely been a great manager, but made some embarrassing and silly mistakes along the way. We have improved year on year under Poyet, to the extent that we are filling our wonderful stadium. That's good enough for me to want to wish him well, but that doesn't mean I'm an apologist for any of his stupid mistakes.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Absolutely spot on. I don't understand the clamour from some to lay into him, just because the time has come for club and manager to go their separate ways. He has largely been a great manager, but made some embarrassing and silly mistakes along the way. We have improved year on year under Poyet, to the extent that we are filling our wonderful stadium. That's good enough for me to want to wish him well, but that doesn't mean I'm an apologist for any of his stupid mistakes.

Do any of those mistakes really matter? to us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here