Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where now for Poyet ?

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
I really struggle with this anti Gus stuff. When he became our manager it was a bit like the geeky kid ending up bedding the head cheerleader. It was never going to be for ever but he helped raise our profile and we had some fun on the way. Okay he was high maintenance but the results justified the efforts. The time has come to part the ways - in the interim we have done good (to stretch the analogy, we've founded facebook) but I for one don't want to remember the parting, I want to remember the good times.

I really hope we get a manager who keeps and develops the style we now have and who can takes us further. But the premier league is not the be all and end all. I also hope that Gus gets a good job and is succesful. He is a precocious talent.

And if I'm to be blunt, now we've done good we should also be looking out for our old mates. Charlie oatway is going through a tougher time than many of us can imagine and I only hope that he doesn't get ruined by the collateral damage that the Willy waving of the last few weeks has caused.

very well put. although we need to find out if and what oatway has done before i agree with the your last sentence.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
I think he will end up as a pundit for a couple of years, and then maybe find a job back in league one or the championship.

I don't understand why people think Poyet will walk into a premiership job. Although seen as a god by some on here, the truth is with what he has had at Brighton, he's been nothing special, some would say average. The fact that no one offered him a job since the end of the season, would sort of suggest Premiership chairman are not blinded by the "where we come from" brigade, and also see that Gus is very limited and average.

I think we can all paint a clearer picture in 12 months time. If the new manager can replace Bridge, Upson, (not bothered about El-Abd, so so on David) and add another signing or two, then we will see just how good this squad Gus helped to build is. I think its a lot better than the way Poyet had it playing.

he got us playing a style of football you just dont see in league one, (and he won it) he then has had 2 very good seasons in the championship improving our style and strength as a team. he is liked by a lot of people in football. it may be a risk for a premier club to take him on, but it worked for us when we took a punt on him. i think a premier club would benifit from taking a punt too!!!!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Poyet's next stop.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My opinion is based on the belief his stock has (rightly) plummeted. Just how many Prem and Championship clubs are tripping over themselves to secure Gus' services? That's right, none. Your opinion appears to be based on blind faith in a manager who puts himself above our club. We are BOTH entitled to our opinions.

I don't have blind faith in him although it suits your argument to think so, I think you also knew that I meant objective not subjective.
My point was that teams aren't that discerning in their choice of managers when you look at the average length of time that a manager stays at any given club. 18 months is the average. Some clubs were in such a mess that they went through 3 managers in a season. Bloom & Poyet gave us 3 good years to build something solid at the Amex and any manager coming in now has a basis to build on, not a relegation battle.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Very good!

Not bitterness. Just a mixture of anger and frustration.
Angry and frustrated in equal measure by our late capitulation. All the work that led up to the second game v Palace. Two seasons of feeling our way through the Championship, getting the measure of the teams around us. Walloping some, narrowly winning and losing quite a few and a fair few frustrating draws.
The building of momentum last season. The feeling that this was a squad of players gelling into something good. Hard to beat, with a bit of steel at the back. We looked at those around us. Palace and Watford off the boil. Forest running out of steam. Leicester struggling to buy a win and Bolton, solid but unspectacular.
We were the form horses. We were bookies and neutrals favourites. This was our year and our chance. The door was opening for us. Promotion would probably mean keeping Bridcutt, Bridge and Upson. We all knew what it meant.
On the night of May 13th, it was obvious something wasn't right. As the game drifted to its inevitable conclusion, we seemed incapable of changing anything. The passion drained out of the players and the management seemed pre-occupied and resigned to their fate.
The anger and frustration is there because, deep down, we all know we were capable of beating Palace and Watford. For whatever reason, the team wasn't prepared and set-up right. Absolute focus was not given to one of the most important games in our history. Its no good dismissing it with.." there's always next season "....this was our time and we blew it.
So no bitterness. Anger and frustration that the manager couldn't commit 100% when it was most required and sadness that it has all ended like this.

Poyet always got the team thereabouts when it really mattered,if the win was reachable you know he would get all the prep.right and really have a go.It just seemed so strange and unusual in his last game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here