Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is the Spanish Armada?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oscar is well-connected, has played for and coached at the best team in the world, has played international football and has been mentored by Cruyff, one the most astute football brains world football has even seem. Burke's football nous, on the other hand, seems to be based entirely on the sporting section of the South Wales Echo.

He was the Director of Football at Southampton and they don't seem to have done badly.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
He was the Director of Football at Southampton and they don't seem to have done badly.

No he wasn't this was his position:

Scouting & Recruitment Department Manager

Southampton Football Club

June 2010 – December 2011 (1 year 7 months) Saints Training Ground. Football Development Support Centre, Marchwood

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Before Oscar brings in specific targets he has to make sure that the team is playing in a way that can feed them. Not really much point in bringing anyone in until the squad is well drilled.

The January window doesn't really lend itself to players packing up midway through the season and emigrating. Oscar will be in a far better position to bring in his key targets this summer than what he is now or at the start of his tenure.

I’m not expecting an influx of Spanish players this summer but I can see two or three game changing ones.

Spot on. At least someone can evaluate the situation. Oscar likes to coach his team, and improve them. When he was at Maccabi, he only brought in two players.
Both in terms of the team and the management/board, I suspect he'll get what he wants, because he's careful for what he asks for. I have complete faith that he's as astute an analyser of players as there are. There's a reason why Barcelona are so impressed with him, and were considering him as Titanova's replacement.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

They really have done well and the man responsible for all their talent over the last seven years was this guy and the FA have just snapped him up.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/crocker-set-for-top-fa-role-921953.aspx

But the key man at Southampton who was Head of Football Development and Support, who would have employed Burke, is Les Reed now an Executive Director at the club.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No he wasn't this was his position:

Scouting & Recruitment Department Manager

Southampton Football Club

June 2010 – December 2011 (1 year 7 months) Saints Training Ground. Football Development Support Centre, Marchwood

Ok my mistake. He does know something about scouting and recruiting though.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Been a while since a good bash Burke thread. Seemed to disappear after this interview on the radio show but raising its ugly head again.
If Oscar wants a player within the budget (that is important thing here) I'm sure the club will do their best to get him. Other than that we have a team of scouts both in the UK and abroad who are constantly looking for players to improve the squad. There is no huge conspiracy going on, if Oscar was not happy with how the structure was based do you think he would have taken the job (he was and still is in demand)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Football has moved on since managers got the wink and nudge and could freely speak to a player without fear of tapping up and adhering to employment law or getting the club to buy the player a house.

I'm sure Oscar has let the team know who he wants to sign from his own experience/knowledge.

I can't see how it has changed in the last decade or so. I can't imagine Oscar suggesting a player he wants and being told no.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes he does, but I believe he has never been the top man at a club before though and he has spent most of his time dealing with youth from 15 -21.

Does he? The jury is out for me.

I think Poyet with his Spanish connections had already checked Ulloa before Burke arrived, so at the moment I'm struggling to think of a signing that has had a big impact. (hopefully someone can correct and reassure me).

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I think Poyet with his Spanish connections had already checked Ulloa before Burke arrived, so at the moment I'm struggling to think of a signing that has had a big impact. (hopefully someone can correct and reassure me).

For me his best signing's have been Kuszczak, Orlandi and Ward the rest for me have been nothing special.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I would think Garcia has greater Spanish connections seeing as he played there and managed Barcelona B, as opposed to Gus last serving in Spain in '97.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Actually just checked...... Kuszczak, Orlandi, Ince, Bruno, Crofts, Upson etc......... So quite good, though of course with the exception of Ince they do have track records.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would think Garcia has greater Spanish connections seeing as he played there and managed Barcelona B, as opposed to Gus last serving in Spain in '97.

Of course you are correct. However, aS we stand in terms of signings the evidence would suggest otherwise.......

Of course, they may be out of our price range in any case.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Of course you are correct. However, aS we stand in terms of signings the evidence would suggest otherwise.......

Of course, they may be out of our price range in any case.

It's an odd one. Spaniards would appear to be cheaper...

It all feels a little bit too complicated for me. Oh dear...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here