Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is the Spanish Armada?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It seems to me that Oscar only gets the players that feature in David Burke's shopping list. I would be interested to hear how many players Oscar has personally nominated to Burke and whether we have seriously pursued them.

I wonder what if any knowledge or input Oscar had regarding Ward, Andrews, Kemy, Conway, Lita and Obika before they were brought in? Ok he probably knew of Lopez but was he actually Oscar's signing?

On the other hand it is refreshing that Oscar is willing to give youngsters like Ince, March and Chicksen a go.

Burke does all the legwork beforehand - there is no point is having a list of players if we cannot sign any of them because they are too expensive/not available/don't want to come here. That list includes Oscar's choices.

Oscar turned up at this interview with a dossier on the current squad, researched himself. That, itself, speaks volumes for the man. TB has also stated that we must not underestimate Oscar's knowledge of English based players.

There seems to be lots of stirring going on today with no evidence to back it up.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Oscar gets all approval on transfers and it was reported that he did say no to a couple of loan strikers earlier in the season - so he has control of sorts.

Also believe he said in the Fans Forum last July that as long as players are good enough, they would be signed regardless of which country they come from. Also think there would be a lot less paperwork and fees involved with a domestic transfer too.

But the question remains - did any of the loan signings actually come at Oscar's instigation - rather than just his 'approval' of Burke's suggestions?

I'm mindful that Oscar took up his role fairly late last summer and wanted to evaluate the squad. So to be fair maybe this transfer window is Oscar's first real chance to press for his own signings.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Burke does all the legwork beforehand - there is no point is having a list of players if we cannot sign any of them because they are too expensive/not available/don't want to come here. That list includes Oscar's choices.

Oscar turned up at this interview with a dossier on the current squad, researched himself. That, itself, speaks volumes for the man. TB has also stated that we must not underestimate Oscar's knowledge of English based players.

There seems to be lots of stirring going on today with no evidence to back it up.

I am not trying to put Oscar down, but if a club has contacted you maybe a couple of weeks prior to an interview(his name was in the frame before Gus went) to see if you were interested in the job, I would think most professional managers/coaches would have taken an in depth look at the players that club had, don't you think?

Also how do you know Oscar's choices are on the short list?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am not trying to put Oscar down, but if a club has contacted you maybe a couple of weeks prior to an interview(his name was in the frame before Gus went) to see if you were interested in the job, I would think most professional managers/coaches would have taken an in depth look at the players that club had, don't you think?

Well, it certainly impressed Tony. Maybe some don't do their homework sufficiently well?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Why waste our money - I would love a striker to come in but unless it's Messi or Ronaldo OG will only stick him on the bench.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The youngsters ARE part of the main squad. Oscar is not as scared of playing them as Gus was.

Anyway, I read on another thread that Oscar was in Barcelona right now, so maybe a small Armada is on it's way?

You would still have fans moaning that it was only a flotilla :lol:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Before Oscar brings in specific targets he has to make sure that the team is playing in a way that can feed them. Not really much point in bringing anyone in until the squad is well drilled.

The January window doesn't really lend itself to players packing up midway through the season and emigrating. Oscar will be in a far better position to bring in his key targets this summer than what he is now or at the start of his tenure.

I’m not expecting an influx of Spanish players this summer but I can see two or three game changing ones.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well I don't know about you, but every time I went for a job interview. I made sure I had researched the company to the best of my knowledge.

I certainly do, but I'm not sure some managers / head coaches would.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

You'd think. But as it was mentioned that this was particularly impressive about him at the interview, it suggests to me that none of the other professional managers in the frame bought a dossier with them.

How do you know Oscar's choices are NOT on the list?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You'd think. But as it was mentioned that this was particularly impressive about him at the interview, it suggests to me that none of the other professional managers in the frame bought a dossier with them.

I did not state they were or not you did and I still don't. But you seem to know they are so just asking like, how do you know?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But the question remains - did any of the loan signings actually come at Oscar's instigation - rather than just his 'approval' of Burke's suggestions?

I'm mindful that Oscar took up his role fairly late last summer and wanted to evaluate the squad. So to be fair maybe this transfer window is Oscar's first real chance to press for his own signings.

Oscar would have said to Burke that he wants a player who plays in X position - Burke and his team will then go and find suitable players within the clubs budget and Oscar will take his pick out of that - at least thats how i think it probably works.

Oscar does get a say in transfers and they arent solely down to David Burke - whatever others say.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

OK you are guessing they are. I am saying I don't know. Did I not make myself clear?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oscar is well-connected, has played for and coached at the best team in the world, has played international football and has been mentored by Cruyff, one the most astute football brains world football has even seem. Burke's football nous, on the other hand, seems to be based entirely on the sporting section of the South Wales Echo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here