Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Where is Hollingbury?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That was the original site of Hollingbury golf course. The clubhouse was situated where the nursery is now (opposite the entrance to Balfour Road).
That’s three clubhouse’s the course has had, when I joined in the early 80’s the clubhouse was in Golf Drive accessed from Stanmer Villas in Hollingdean Dip area, then they built the current clubhouse years later?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"Hollingbury" Asda, and I used to live in Westfield Crescent "Hollingbury" off Wilmington Way "Hollingbury".
So there are three reference points to start with.
I grew up in Westfield Crescent and as you say it's Hollingbury. I always consider the middle of Carden Avenue the western boundary of Hollingbury with Woodbourne being the southern boundary. What blows that theory apart is The Snipe was absolutley a Hollingbury pub.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I grew up in Westfield Crescent and as you say it's Hollingbury. I always consider the middle of Carden Avenue the western boundary of Hollingbury with Woodbourne being the southern boundary. What blows that theory apart is The Snipe was absolutley a Hollingbury pub.
Not sure I like the idea of Woodbourne being the Southern boundary thus rendering those of us who grew up in Eastfield Crescent, Northfield Way, Westfield Close, Larkfield Way effectively STATELESS :mad: - we always considered ourselves burghers of the Royal Canton of Hollingbury

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That was the original site of Hollingbury golf course. The clubhouse was situated where the nursery is now (opposite the entrance to Balfour Road).
It was further up Ditchling Road than that. The pitch was opposite Hollingbury Copse. Anyone who played Sunday football will remember the FREEZING changing rooms in the old flint barn by Roedale Cottages. The WW1 hospital, that was the old Hollingbury clubhouse, was in the valley under Hollingbury woods. It’s still called Golf Drive at the end of Stanmer Villas. God I feel ancient typing all that 😂

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Cheers. Interesting map. What happened to Roedean I wonder.
I was wondering where the map came from, I clicked on it and found this link.
Roedean is mentioned on the list of bus services also a few other areas like Bristol Estate.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Not sure I like the idea of Woodbourne being the Southern boundary thus rendering those of us who grew up in Eastfield Crescent, Northfield Way, Westfield Close, Larkfield Way effectively STATELESS :mad: - we always considered ourselves burghers of the Royal Canton of Hollingbury
Those areas are definitely part of the hood. Hollingbury takes in Brayborn and Surrenden Road and bits of Ditchling Road all the way to Fiveways. People get confused with the boundaries because of the post war council housing estate, including Carden school which was the first new school completed in this country post WW2.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Golf course history galore!

That is amazing! Thanks. The first holes did indeed run up Ditchling Road from the Golf Pavilion.

Edit. Absolutely amazing stuff. Three clubhouses, multiple layouts and the winners of the News Chronicle Cup are world famous golfers of their time! I knew that they’d held Ryder Cup qualifiers at Hollingbury and there were other prestigious tournaments - but Dai Rees, Henry Cotton… 👍

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Those areas are definitely part of the hood. Hollingbury takes in Brayborn and Surrenden Road and bits of Ditchling Road all the way to Fiveways.
Something makes me wonder if the residents of Surrenden Road mention that they live in Hollingbury. :smile:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Something makes me wonder if the residents of Surrenden Road mention that they live in Hollingbury. :smile:
As a Surrenden Road resident (and someone who grew up on Woodbourne Avenue), I don't refer to Hollingbury very often ;-)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As a Surrenden Road resident (and someone who grew up on Woodbourne Avenue), I don't refer to Hollingbury very often ;-)
I lived in Whitehawk for a while, people in the Manor Hill area, would not be happy if anyone mentioned that they lived in Whitehawk …….“we live in The Manor not f****** Whitehawk” :lolol:
I told people that I lived in West Roedean. :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I lived in Whitehawk for a while, people in the Manor Hill area, would not be happy if anyone mentioned that they lived in Whitehawk …….“we live in The Manor not f****** Whitehawk” :lolol:
I knew someone who lived in Reading Road, (bottom of Wilson Ave for those that don’t know) who described her location as Upper Marina 😂

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Bought my first house in Maresfield Road in the 80’s. When asked where I was living, Mum (who was a bit of a snob -yet lived in Coldean) would reply ‘North Kemp Town’!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here