Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Where is Hollingbury?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
It's probably been asked before but I have a memory like a fish (and haven't read every thread ever) but what, if anything, does 'dean' mean?
This used to be a familiar sight across Brighton and further afield*:

0c640204-a036-4a6a-9a75-63a6ce8932c9-jpeg.156718

*including in an actual field next to Balcombe Viaduct, where 'Dean' had sprayed his name on a metal cattle trough.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
It's probably been asked before but I have a memory like a fish (and haven't read every thread ever) but what, if anything, does 'dean' mean? Brighton has loads of them - Hollingdean, Bevendean, Coldean, Withdean, Roedean, Woodingdean, Ovingdean, Rottingdean and Saltdean.
horsdean - where them bitches hang out

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
horsdean - where them bitches hang out
The definition in the Concise Oxford Dictionary tells us:

"Dene n. (also dean) Brit. 1 a narrow wooded valley. 2 a vale (esp. as the ending of place names). [Old English denu]".

Given Brighton is essentially one big hill, it's easy to see why so many places could have been named after valleys.
The name has been around for hundreds and hundreds of years, going back at least 1000 years.

In 1872, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described a Dean in Sussex as a "hundred" (district) in a "rape" (area) of the county:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Looking at that map I’m now confused if I grew up in East Brighton, Moulscoomb or Bevendean. I can’t make out where the top edges of East Brighton are.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Who used to play on The Green (aka The Moon) off Brentwood Road in....der, der, der........Hollingdean!
Is that the pitches on the corner of Lynchet Close and Brentwood? 30% grass, 70% flint. I still have scarred knees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here