Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Where is Hollingbury?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I've seen two different areas referred to by locals as Hollingbury. One I think of as more towards Hollingdean and one I think of as more towards Patcham. Not being a native of that area where are the centre and boundaries of Hollingbury?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
"Hollingbury" Asda, and I used to live in Westfield Crescent "Hollingbury" off Wilmington Way "Hollingbury".
So there are three reference points to start with.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
brighton-areas-map-1 (1).jpg

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Holingbury starts in Carden Avenue from the what once the snipe pub (now a Tesco's express) up to old boat corner then turns right and runs along Ditchling road towards the centre of Brighton and ends at the corner of Woodbourne Avenue where it turns right and effectively runs downhill at a slight angle to the right back towards the Snipe. Everything within this area is Holingbury

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’ve always thought that Hollingbury starts by Woodbourne Garage and is bordered by Ditchling Road, Carden Avenue and Braybon Avenue…ish.

Hollingdean runs from Fiveways and is bordered by Ditchling Road, Hollingdean Road, Lewes Road to Moulsecoomb station……. ish.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I use to live in Hollingbury Road that runs down from Fiveways. I'm thinking that must be pretty close to the eastern boundary - tho the Hollingbury pub probably marks the border post before it becomes Hollingdean

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The map is
I use to live in Hollingbury Road that runs down from Fiveways. I'm thinking that must be pretty close to the eastern boundary - tho the Hollingbury pub probably marks the border post before it becomes Hollingdean
Hollingbury pub is in Hollingdean surely. Similarly what was the Stanmer Park Tav isn't in Stanmer.

Hollingbury Road - running to Hollingbury but not necessarily in Hollingbury?

I think the map above is pretty accurate. Actually saying that I've never considered West of Fiveways as Hollingdean

Hollingbury native from off of Woodbourne Ave

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That’s about right. Doesn’t Upper Hollingdean Road run from Lewes Road, past the Hollingbury Pub and all the way up to Ditchling Road forming the southerly Hollingdean border? Or maybe the border turns right up Hollingbury Road.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Thanks for the replies. Although ive lived and worked around Brighton and Hove for about half my life my teens and 20's were mostly spent elsewhere and I'v never lived over that side of the city. I suspect that some confusion has been caused by estate agents being creative with their definitons of what is in which area.
I love how peoples mental map of what is in an area is slightly different and how that can change over time.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I was reading a nature book a while back and the author was talking about places with "Holling" in the name. Unsurprisingly they derive from holly. Apparently holly only grows spines on the leaves lower down. And because the leaves at the top don't have spines, traditionally farmers would cut the tops off holly bushes in winter and use it as feed for livestock. The author said that places with Holling in the name would be named after nearby groves of holly. So presumably, centuries ago Hollingbury and Hollingdean would have had holly groves that were used to feed livestock in the surrounding area.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was reading a nature book a while back and the author was talking about places with "Holling" in the name. Unsurprisingly they derive from holly. Apparently holly only grows spines on the leaves lower down. And because the leaves at the top don't have spines, traditionally farmers would cut the tops off holly bushes in winter and use it as feed for livestock. The author said that places with Holling in the name would be named after nearby groves of holly. So presumably, centuries ago Hollingbury and Hollingdean would have had holly groves that were used to feed livestock in the surrounding area.
Every day's a schoolday on NSC

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's probably been asked before but I have a memory like a fish (and haven't read every thread ever) but what, if anything, does 'dean' mean? Brighton has loads of them - Hollingdean, Bevendean, Coldean, Withdean, Roedean, Woodingdean, Ovingdean, Rottingdean and Saltdean.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's probably been asked before but I have a memory like a fish (and haven't read every thread ever) but what, if anything, does 'dean' mean? Brighton has loads of them - Hollingdean, Bevendean, Coldean, Withdean, Roedean, Woodingdean, Ovingdean, Rottingdean and Saltdean.
A dene, derived from the Old English denu and frequently spelled dean in place names, used to be a common name for a valley, in which sense it is frequently found as a component of English place-names.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve see the East Blatchingtons have been driven out of their homes

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
"The Dean/Dene suffix on the end of a place name probably traces its roots back to the Old English word 'denu', which means 'a little valley'."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here