[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why ? We set the terms, in agreement with Ale. Pre the WC this was a great deal for us, no-one could have predicted how this would work out. He could have refused the new contract and left now for much less. Our long term strategy is strengthened (allowing players to move when it’s right for both sides), he goes with the club’s blessing, it’s very early in the close season so we have time to bolster the squad and other players will look at us as a great place to develop.
Well, patently it wasn't a great deal for us. Realistically it may have been the best one we could have got (I'm talking about the contract agreed last year, not so much the deal with Liverpool) so please get your head round the idea that disappointment at the price is in no way implying that PB and TB don't know what they're doing; they very much do know what they're doing, but the MacAllister team held a lot of the big cards in that negotiation. For all the praise from some on here about the deal, never mind NSC; Liverpool fans are rejoicing that they've absolutely done us over.
Perceptions, innit?

Like it or not, argue the case whichever which way you like, put whatever you spin you want, Liverpool have got a bargain.

Last edited:

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
Why ? We set the terms, in agreement with Ale. Pre the WC this was a great deal for us, no-one could have predicted how this would work out. He could have refused the new contract and left now for much less. Our long term strategy is strengthened (allowing players to move when it’s right for both sides), he goes with the club’s blessing, it’s very early in the close season so we have time to bolster the squad and other players will look at us as a great place to develop.
It could have gone better for us right?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Absolutely this. Nothing to do with playing in Europe. It's all about money first and foremost. Wouldn't be a breath of fresh air if a footballer came out and said he was moving because he was going to be getting huge wages and will be a multimillionaire in no time ? I honestly think he would get more respect instead of the usual bollox spouted?
Isn't that more or less what Caicedo's agent said he wanted to do in that ridiculous open letter to Tony Bloom?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We seem to get less money for players who have played for us for a reasonable amount of time.
This is because they have established themselves and their initial contract is coming up for renewal.
They hold the cards at this point.

We will end up earning more from this deal than we did with Biss or Trossard.
It is still a lot of money, which will be reinvested into the squad.

The £35m figure is bullshit. But it suits both clubs to have it bandied around.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
If it helps anyone currently fretting, this is a copy and paste line from an email discussion I had today with someone quite senior at the club "I’ve not seen a number out there yet that properly or accurately reflects any of our transfer deal structures in any way."

Feels like a meeting ground for Bedwetters Unite in this thread.

A. Believe Fabricator Romano

B. Believe in the club and the figures are well out.

Me, I'm an option B kinda guy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

So 'A' is bedwetters, so 'B' are lickers then.

Don't really want either of those perjorative terms on NSC - I thought they'd more or less been binned by most some time ago.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
For me (Clive) it’s done, he’s gone. Did a great job for us and was part of a team which grew to become our best ever in our 121 long years.

Looking at the bigger picture, his involvement was priceless as a cog in the machine - like every single player is - and we are going to play in Europe. It’s absolutely insane.

And it’s all thanks to Tony Bloom. Without his (interest free) investment in the club, we’d be dreaming of the PL one day.

Reality check, lads.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
So 'A' is bedwetters, so 'B' are lickers then.

Don't really want either of those perjorative terms on NSC - I thought they'd more or less been binned by most some time ago.

I prefer A. Non believers and B. Believers.

(In Bloom and Barber operate in the clubs best interest)

But carry on in your little world. :thumbsup:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You can believe that Romano knew the details in this one but also believe B and B have done the best thing for the club. We are allowed to have a bit of nuance even if it doesn't feel like that at times.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

C. Couldn't give a shit really, just enjoying the best time EVER to be a Brighton fan, just strap in and enjoy the ride.

Just a shame my old man didn't last to see what is happening as he passed away last year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He might be happy now, but after a few months of being called Macccchhhha, he'll surely reget his choice.

I've read some Liverpool fans saying they've done well to add goals from midfield. If that's their expectation they could end up disappointed. Yes, he's third in the league this year for shots from midfield but he hasn't scored as often as he should have done. Ten's a good return, but six of his ten goals were penalties. 4 goals apart from that, and the same last year. One goal the year before. I'm not dismissing penalty goals. It's been great to have a reliable taker, but aside from spot kicks, I've always been a little frustrated with his shooting. His percentage of shots on target this season is 35% (joint 81st in the league). In terms of performances for Brighton, that's behind Gross (48.7%), Enciso (47.4%), Ferguson (47.2%), Trossard (44.7%), Undav (44.4%), March (41.9%), Mitoma (40.4%) & Welbeck (35.5%). He certainly may improve, but at present, his considerable strengths lay in other areas.

Some Liverpool fans lazily haven’t followed Klopp’s preference for three versatile centre midfielders. Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Thiago had low scoring numbers. The goals come largely from elsewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

team licker, i mean B.

its not a difficult one, FR has been talking shit about this deal for months and i cant fathom why anyone is taking him at face value. he spouts so much stuff, lands a small % and gets clout for it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
To be fair, we know our end of the deal will be very tight lipped but we don't know how leaky the Liverpool end is. If they leak that it is an initial £35m that makes them look good (even though some are now suggesting it could rise to £55m, which is still a bit shy of his true worth but that must be what was agreed to get him to sign before the world cup!). If he'd been on a 5 year deal with us with no clauses for transfers then his fee would surely be higher than Cucurellla's.
I don’t disagree with your general summation, but I don’t know if I agree with it either.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230609-171132~2.png
    Screenshot_20230609-171132~2.png
    204 KB · Views: 65

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Interesting that The Athletic is reporting that there were no add-ons...

It being a one off fee and no add ons doesn’t make any sense though. That would mean there was nothing really to negotiate & it was just a straight release clause, in which case why have so many journalists said this wasn’t the case and what have they been spending all this time quibbling over. Also, £35m for a straight release clause & nothing else to pay is just way too low. I would expect us to get somewhere around £30m for Mac this summer without a release clause even if he just had 1 year left on his contract, so to negotiate a release clause that low makes no sense. I don’t buy that at all. Seems to be a lot of journalist just trying to one up each other and make it seem like THEY have the real scoop & THEIR club got the better deal. £35m initial payment, and then a bunch of add ons that they’ve been negotiating recently (totalling £55m) seems to be what most trusted journalists are saying, & makes the most sense, so that’ll do for me.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We seem to get less money for players who have played for us for a reasonable amount of time.
This is because they have established themselves and their initial contract is coming up for renewal.
They hold the cards at this point.

We will end up earning more from this deal than we did with Biss or Trossard.
It is still a lot of money, which will be reinvested into the squad.

The £35m figure is bullshit. But it suits both clubs to have it bandied around.
This + it will be a key contract clause that he has to get his teeth bright/whitened like the rest of the Anfield squad and Klopp. In fact he's probably in the dentists chair as we speak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports