Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A small silver lining if you're annoyed about the (supposed) £35m figure - that Chelsea fans are even more upset... :LOL:

My word, some football fans are thick.

I missed the bit where Chelsea weren't allowed to walk away from the Cucurella deal because Tony had a gun to Chelsea Todd's noggin!

If they want to vent, they might want to look closer to home. Or Cobham/Kings Road by the look of some of the profiles!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A small silver lining if you're annoyed about the (supposed) £35m figure - that Chelsea fans are even more upset... :LOL:

Has the media world learned nothing?

Nobody knows anything about the deal and all it’s intricacies except a few people and they are keeping schtum.

That idiot Romano knows absolutely nothing.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Just wanted to throw up an alternative view considering two important facts. 1, Liverpool haven't officially announced fee or add-on details, 2, Barber has talked about doing business from a position of strength. Listen to the High Performance Podcast interview - I can't remember his exact wording but he gave an example having to buy for inflated prices after selling a player for a premium amount, the club you are trying to buy from will use that amount as a bargaining chip, knowing how much Brighton (in this example) would have received. It's a really good point. I was thinking, maybe Barber/Brighton want the news to come out or the rumours to be that Mac Allister was only sold for 35mil to put them in a better bargaining position when buying this window. If we sold Mac straight up for 65mil then we will have to buy players for a premium price elsewhere, no doubt Brighton would still take the money but a small first fee with big ad-ons can work for both clubs. Add-on fees are never detailed, but they can be as quick as 2.5mil after 10 games or as big as 15mil if qualify for europe.

Too far fetched?
No, in fact quite likely. But too nuanced for most on Twitter…

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has the media world learned nothing?

Nobody knows anything about the deal and all it’s intricacies except a few people and they are keeping schtum.

That idiot Romano knows absolutely nothing.
To be fair, we know our end of the deal will be very tight lipped but we don't know how leaky the Liverpool end is. If they leak that it is an initial £35m that makes them look good (even though some are now suggesting it could rise to £55m, which is still a bit shy of his true worth but that must be what was agreed to get him to sign before the world cup!). If he'd been on a 5 year deal with us with no clauses for transfers then his fee would surely be higher than Cucurellla's.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The new WAG is getting involved already!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Can I just play devil's advocate here a little.

Maccer struggled for 2 years. He wasn't great on the pitch , he wasn't great off the pitch and he nearly left. As a club we supported him all the way. So he did owe us quite a lot when things turned for him.

Trossard, caciedo and cuccu pretty much hit the ground running and were great players from start to finish. They don't really owe us as much as maccer.

In addition people are talking about him like a club legend. Don't get me wrong he was great for the last year (maybe not so great since WC) But the majority of his stint he wasn't brilliant and the only key moments I can think of with him in an Albion shirt is the Leicester free kick, the last minute equaliser Vs palace and the pen Vs utd.

Is that too harsh ?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Maccer struggled for 2 years. He wasn't great on the pitch , he wasn't great off the pitch and he nearly left. As a club we supported him all the way. So he did owe us quite a lot when things turned for him.

Trossard, caciedo and cuccu pretty much hit the ground running and were great players from start to finish. They don't really owe us as much as maccer.

In addition people are talking about him like a club legend. Don't get me wrong he was great for the last year (maybe not so great since WC) But the majority of his stint he wasn't brilliant and the only key moments I can think of with him in an Albion shirt is the Leicester free kick, the last minute equaliser Vs palace and the pen Vs utd.

Is that too harsh ?

Did he?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Is that too harsh ?
Yes, yes it is.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone

Is that too harsh ?
He moved halfway round the world and then COVID happened. That can't have been easy, to be fair.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
still so much angst over an unconfirmed number, from an unreliable bad actor. Fabirizo was claiming 80m some time ago and a range of other clubs, then mounted some sort of rumour reverse auction. probably because there wasnt any actual bid war, as Mac Allister Snr has kept it known he'd go to Liverpool.

when we lament the high prices of players these days i'm pleased we've helped Mac Allister along the path. i hope we have a production line of cheap quality players we can hone and shape into Premier League players, give them game time, keep us in the top half playing sliky football, then sell them on a reasonable rates. see it as football wholesale trade. we benefit from getting the raw talent cut price, seeing them in Blue & White, rather than bench warming elsewhere.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
All the best Macca 👍 he’s already doing it right and only been there a day
9D952575-EBB1-4B07-8C1B-A99D22F18211.jpeg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't know if it's already been asked but who was the last player that Liverpool signed from us? My first thought is Michael Robinson but that's 40 years ago so surely there's been someone since?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here