Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think he'll fit in just fine at Liverpool.

It would be interesting, though, to find out exactly what was in that contract he signed before the World Cup. Even at £55M (including add-ons) that's way less than Chelsea paid for his fellow World Cup winning midfielder, it's way less than West Ham will probably demand and get for Declan Rice - and it's not a huge amunt more than we are offering Chelsea for a 20 year old with half a season's PL experience. With that in mind, the mystery is why no other clubs came in for him. A nice little bidding war, perhaps! But no, just Liverpool.

It's likely his agent did have some discussions with other clubs and decided Liverpool was the best option (or were paying the highest wages).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sadly money talks and himself and his agent couldn't wait to get out. Now to find a suitable replacement
I mean if you live in sugar coated candy world where unicorns jump about, and him having ambition to join one of the biggest clubs in the world is 'couldn't wait to get out', then you probably have a point.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
This doesn't look very equal to me (MLB):-

View attachment 161939

In case the numbers aren't easily read, the 2023 total payroll in Major League Baseball goes from less than $60m to $345m.
One difference there though is you can keep your young talent for quite a while on relatively decent wages until they got free agency. Like Soto and Judge (until this season). So Brighton would be under no pressure to sell or even offer Caicedo a new contract for a while. Plus he wouldn't want to move for money as he wouldn't get a new contract, it would move with him.
Neither system is perfect by a long shot though. It just seems like the EPL system is far more easily manipulated by rich owners.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Just wanted to throw up an alternative view considering two important facts. 1, Liverpool haven't officially announced fee or add-on details, 2, Barber has talked about doing business from a position of strength. Listen to the High Performance Podcast interview - I can't remember his exact wording but he gave an example having to buy for inflated prices after selling a player for a premium amount, the club you are trying to buy from will use that amount as a bargaining chip, knowing how much Brighton (in this example) would have received. It's a really good point. I was thinking, maybe Barber/Brighton want the news to come out or the rumours to be that Mac Allister was only sold for 35mil to put them in a better bargaining position when buying this window. If we sold Mac straight up for 65mil then we will have to buy players for a premium price elsewhere, no doubt Brighton would still take the money but a small first fee with big ad-ons can work for both clubs. Add-on fees are never detailed, but they can be as quick as 2.5mil after 10 games or as big as 15mil if qualify for europe.

Too far fetched?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ok, having read all the posts I'm now going to finally vote on the poll.

I have a hunch he's going to Newcastle ...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He might be happy now, but after a few months of being called Macccchhhha, he'll surely reget his choice.

I've read some Liverpool fans saying they've done well to add goals from midfield. If that's their expectation they could end up disappointed. Yes, he's third in the league this year for shots from midfield but he hasn't scored as often as he should have done. Ten's a good return, but six of his ten goals were penalties. 4 goals apart from that, and the same last year. One goal the year before. I'm not dismissing penalty goals. It's been great to have a reliable taker, but aside from spot kicks, I've always been a little frustrated with his shooting. His percentage of shots on target this season is 35% (joint 81st in the league). In terms of performances for Brighton, that's behind Gross (48.7%), Enciso (47.4%), Ferguson (47.2%), Trossard (44.7%), Undav (44.4%), March (41.9%), Mitoma (40.4%) & Welbeck (35.5%). He certainly may improve, but at present, his considerable strengths lay in other areas.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just wanted to throw up an alternative view considering two important facts. 1, Liverpool haven't officially announced fee or add-on details, 2, Barber has talked about doing business from a position of strength. Listen to the High Performance Podcast interview - I can't remember his exact wording but he gave an example having to buy for inflated prices after selling a player for a premium amount, the club you are trying to buy from will use that amount as a bargaining chip, knowing how much Brighton (in this example) would have received. It's a really good point. I was thinking, maybe Barber/Brighton want the news to come out or the rumours to be that Mac Allister was only sold for 35mil to put them in a better bargaining position when buying this window. If we sold Mac straight up for 65mil then we will have to buy players for a premium price elsewhere, no doubt Brighton would still take the money but a small first fee with big ad-ons can work for both clubs. Add-on fees are never detailed, but they can be as quick as 2.5mil after 10 games or as big as 15mil if qualify for europe.

Too far fetched?
No. Quite plausible. I often wonder why fans get so annoyed that the club doesn’t disclose its business (that may give an advantage to our competitors) be it transfer fees, injury news, player contracts or whatever.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
This whole '£35m' is such a load of nonsense. I can see why that dilbert Romano posted it because he's got a whole community on Twitter retweeting and believing it and essentially hanging off his every 'Here we go'. But, in reality, all that's happened is a contract has been drawn up that states there will be further payments – possibly up to £55m, we don't know. It's a bit like buying a £50,000 car on finance after putting down a 50% deposit and then telling people you got it for £25k!

Plus we don't know any details of any potentially lucrative sell-on clauses, etc, etc. But then I've read on here and on Twitter that the fee is a FLAT £35m and those people must be ITK to say something with such conviction, so we really have been royally screwed over.

Or maybe not :dunce:
He’s added c200,000 followers over the last couple of weeks

He knows Exactly what he’s doing

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He might be happy now, but after a few months of being called Macccchhhha, he'll surely reget his choice.

I've read some Liverpool fans saying they've done well to add goals from midfield. If that's their expectation they could end up disappointed. Yes, he's third in the league this year for shots from midfield but he hasn't scored as often as he should have done. Ten's a good return, but six of his ten goals were penalties. 4 goals apart from that, and the same last year. One goal the year before. I'm not dismissing penalty goals. It's been great to have a reliable taker, but aside from spot kicks, I've always been a little frustrated with his shooting. His percentage of shots on target this season is 35% (joint 81st in the league). In terms of performances for Brighton, that's behind Gross (48.7%), Enciso (47.4%), Ferguson (47.2%), Trossard (44.7%), Undav (44.4%), March (41.9%), Mitoma (40.4%) & Welbeck (35.5%). He certainly may improve, but at present, his considerable strengths lay in other areas.
Yeah I don’t know if they’re aware what type of midfielder they’re actually signing. In the Premier League he scored 7 goals from open play in the 3 and a half years he played for us.

He is a natural deep lying midfielder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here