Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where have all the fans gone?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
back in 1972 we had 34700 in the ground, a possible couple of thousand outside for rochdale at home,a good 36,000 albion fans.
Tonight 29,000 of which 2600 are derby giving us 26,400 home fans, nearly 10,000 down on a promotion game in a league below.
Why?:moo:

why are you shouting?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
In the 70s going to football was a ritual for most men now there are many other distractions coupled with sky tv showing many games, so it is not such a standard pastime and as a result most attendances at every club are down

The killer is too many televised matches which gas reduced attendances and made the players prima donnas on compsrstively stupid wages
i think the fans demographics have changed since the 70 more Family's Wife's and Girlfriends go to the games now. I think Brighton needs a good run in the Championship or Premiership to help build the fan base the club is working hard to do this with Gull shelf and many other schemes. The coaches coming in from all over Sussex etc the Building of a new stadium and Training ground is the start of building this club back up the fan base will follow but it will take a little bit longer. I am one those who has never lost my passion for the club. I am looking forward to tonights game I want to win but whatever the result is I will be back in August looking forward to cheering on the Albion whatever league they are in. :cry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A large part of it has to be the awkwardness of travel for evening games. Most options are not particularly pleasant for those who either need to travel far or have very young children. If this wasn't on Sky then I would imagine we'd have sold out as the takeaway and a beer on the sofa option would not be available, obviously.

You can bet there'll be 40,000+ interested should the unbelievable happen and we have a Wembley play-off final to look forward to.

There's also the fact that a lot of people no longer have 9-to-5 jobs (and a lot more people work outside B&H). I'm not going as I have a work commitment - I'm sure I'm not the only one

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I will tell you one reason why it won't be a sellout, apart from the usual school night, on tv etc. And it is not a dig at the club.
Announcing before tickets go on sale that it will be a sellout. This is a common strategy but the problem with it, is that people will look for tickets, see there is a 1.5 hour wait or look, find they can't get any tickets for whatever reason and give up. The club then release more tickets, unsold sth's etc open up general sale. Not everybody goes on nsc or seagulls.co.uk or gets the Argus and all they hear is it is going to be a sellout and give up. I have told 7 friends in the last two days that more have been released and they are on general sale. Now an extra 7 adults are going that wouldn't have..

Maybe they should bring in a commission based ticket sale where the more friends you introduce to the club the more commission you get!:beer:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
standing in days gone by, maybe ? Not going tonight, as did not want to pay to register to get my ticket that I pay £60 a month for.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
standing in days gone by, maybe ? Not going tonight, as did not want to pay to register to get my ticket that I pay £60 a month for.

Why would you have to pay Blues ?

i think the fans demographics have changed since the 70 more family's wife's and girlfriends go to the games now. I think brighton needs a good run in the championship or premiership to help build the fan base the club is working hard to do this with gull shelf and many other schemes. The coaches coming in from all over sussex etc the building of a new stadium and training ground is the start of building this club back up the fan base will follow but it will take a little bit longer. I am one those who has never lost my passion for the club. I am looking forward to tonights game i want to win but whatever the result is i will be back in august looking forward to cheering on the albion whatever league they are in. :cry:

Afraid prem footie will just encourage the middle aged got too much cash brigade,need lower prices to encourage the youth:moo:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
BACK IN 1972 WE HAD 34700 IN THE GROUND, A POSSIBLE COUPLE OF THOUSAND OUTSIDE FOR ROCHDALE AT HOME,A GOOD 36,000 ALBION FANS.
Tonight 29,000 of which 2600 are derby giving us 26,400 home fans, nearly 10,000 down on a promotion game in a league below.
WHY?:moo:

A good point. 71/2 was much more prosperous despite the £sd.

We had the same thing with all-ticket in the same season. Fans did not like the queuing for Villa and only 28,000 odd turned up and not capacity. And some (a handful) were Villa fans and it was segregation after that.

I know it is the trains putting people off. West Coastway is bad. Not so good in a normal rush hour with standing room only. But that is the 12 coach trains going the other way. The rackety three coach trains going to Brighton are 50% too full to enter.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In 1989 the cheapest price for a ticket to watch Manchester United cost £3.50 which, with inflation, should cost £6.20. In fact the least fans can expect to pay is £28.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
also the fact it's short notice and people had other plans/ haven't had time to organise necessary travel arrangements. Not everyone is a local fan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
also the fact it's short notice and people had other plans/ haven't had time to organise necessary travel arrangements. Not everyone is a local fan.

I'd booked my Brighton hotel for tonight before the Forest match :ffsparr: which should have ensured Reading reaching the playoffs. Miraculously it didn't.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
lol and some didn't want to tempt fate? I thought signing up for Gold membership was going to be the nail in the coffin.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it just comes down to expense. 50p (I think it was cheaper than that in the early 70s) is worth about £6 now. If we were charging that then we'd have quite a few thousand more wanting tickets.

Also accessibility. Getting to and from the Goldstone was logistically easier for most, not quite so much now. Also, we had terraces. We liked those. (Not to say we don't enjoy the comfy seats now).

I don't think there is a proper comparison really. 28,000 is an excellent crowd.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
BACK IN 1972 WE HAD 34700 IN THE GROUND, A POSSIBLE COUPLE OF THOUSAND OUTSIDE FOR ROCHDALE AT HOME,A GOOD 36,000 ALBION FANS.
WHY?:moo:

From 8,850 at Withdean to 29000 at Falmer. You could ask where have all the fans come from?

i think it just comes down to expense. 50p (i think it was cheaper than that in the early 70s) is worth about £6 now. If we were charging that then we'd have quite a few thousand more wanting tickets.

Also accessibility. Getting to and from the goldstone was logistically easier for most, not quite so much now. Also, we had terraces. We liked those. (not to say we don't enjoy the comfy seats now).

I don't think there is a proper comparison really. 28,000 is an excellent crowd.

did we like terraces,no 30,000 gate in the top league because people were shit scared of the safety aspect,anything over 26k and it was a lottery on the view :moo:

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Shall we do some sums?
The official maximum capacity of the Amex is 30,250 (bound to be corrected) subtract (take away) the seats lost for crowd segregation around 200, this leaves a maximum crowd of 30,050. All seated and not squashed together like sardines. You can reminisce about the Goldstone, (and yes I was there that night in 72) but appreciate what we have now ffs.
We took 45,000 to Cardiff and no doubt the same again should we get to Wembley.
Why oh why are some people not happy with what they have got :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here