Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where have all the fans gone?

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I went to the Rochdale game, probably cost about 40 pence to get in as a child.
Now I'm looking at a 20k+ mile round trip then being stung 30+quid to get in.

If the Albion get to Wembley hmmmmmm.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Leaving the ridiculous OP aside, I think it is the fact there are number of hoops to jump through to get a ticket, and all in a short space of time. If the general sale was earlier then I would think tickets would have sold quicker, but I can understand the methodology behind the way the club has handled it.

At least everyone who wants to go now has a chance to get a ticket, and even make a relatively last minute decision to do. In the end I think we will all be happy with the size of the crowd, which is in keeping with the best supported team in the division.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wise words [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. Quite clearly, loads of us would have taken our kids if we had Derby's Sunday match, but have chosen not to.

In fact, I bet we'd have completely sold out yesterday at the latest if the game had been Sunday afternoon. I maintain that 29,000 for a Thursday evening with 5 days to sell tickets at £30-34 is a very good crowd.

Agreed, and I meant to say that in my post above. I'm certainly not looking to criticise either the club nor our fan base, which is remarkable. There's no place for negativity when discussing the number of people who now get out regularly to watch the Albion at the Amex.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Rather than focusing on numbers and how many empty seats perhaps we should be concentrating on generating the loudest and most hostile atmosphere possible for Derby. 29000 is an incredible accomplishment given 5 days to sell tickets, midweek and its on SKY!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Wise words [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. Quite clearly, loads of us would have taken our kids if we had Derby's Sunday match, but have chosen not to.

In fact, I bet we'd have completely sold out yesterday at the latest if the game had been Sunday afternoon. I maintain that 29,000 for a Thursday evening with 5 days to sell tickets at £30-34 is a very good crowd.

Agreed.

I am still of the mind that I can't quite believe the crowds we do routinely get. These are the great days for the Albion.

On a logistics issue - regular evening match goers know the additional issues that brings - for example numbers of carriages available etc.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Agreed, and I meant to say that in my post above. I'm certainly not looking to criticise either the club nor our fan base, which is remarkable. There's no place for negativity when discussing the number of people who get out now regularly to watch the Albion at the Amex.

Exactly. These are amazing attendances. Who can't fail to be impressed by the sheer number of people making their way to the Amex on match-day.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
More now than that opening game against Arsenal on our return to the then first division (lost 4/0?) all those years ago...our fan base is growing nicely imho

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
One missing constituent is the tag along fan. Those who don't really support Brighton, but fancy a night out.

Unless someone drops out, they can not sit with their mates, who regularly attend matches.
There is limited opportunity to meet up before or after in the pub for a few pints.
Football is not a cheap midweek night out any more.
The same match is available in the pub live on the TV.

So to answer the original question, Where have all the fans gone ? the answer is nowhere, they never really existed.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

20,000 mile round trip, that's going to cost more than the 30+quid ticket!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the 70s going to football was a ritual for most men now there are many other distractions coupled with sky tv showing many games, so it is not such a standard pastime and as a result most attendances at every club are down

The killer is too many televised matches which gas reduced attendances and made the players prima donnas on compsrstively stupid wages

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I went to that game with two mates and went over by train immediately after coming out of St Mary's primary school in Worthing. We were 11. I couldn't see myself allowing my son to go over without an adult now. My mum must have been mad...........

Oh yes she was, I remember now.

It was 3 bob or 15p to get in I think. Rip off.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I went to that game with two mates and went over by train immediately after coming out of St Mary's primary school in Worthing. We were 11. I couldn't see myself allowing my son to go over without an adult now. My mum must have been mad...........

Oh yes she was, I remember now.

It was 3 bob or 15p to get in I think. Rip off.

Lovely summers evening though....ahh memories

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Follows football attendances generally...

Plus it will take a while for the lost Archer/Withdean years to find the missing generation

Plus cost, ticketing, evening, short turnaround times etc

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lovely summers evening though....ahh memories

It was hot Lammie, I had to take my blazer off. Strangely enough going off on a tangent somewhat your username has just reminded me that Lamie's wife used to teach for a short while at my secondary school in Goring - Blessed Robert Southwell or Chatsmore when it went comp. She used to give free tickets out to anyone who excelled in English. As you can guess by the way I put the written word down I never got to receive any of them.
She was quite a looker if memory serves me right.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was hot Lammie, I had to take my blazer off. Strangely enough going off on a tangent somewhat your username has just reminded me that Lamie's wife used to teach for a short while at my secondary school in Goring - Blessed Robert Southwell or Chatsmore when it went comp. She used to give free tickets out to anyone who excelled in English. As you can guess by the way I put the written word down I never got to receive any of them.
She was quite a looker if memory serves me right.

I was in south stand...well not quite in....sat the other side of the barrier/pitch side ....hope she was a better teacher than he was a player...it all went badly wrong for him down here

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was in south stand...well not quite in....sat the other side of the barrier/pitch side ....hope she was a better teacher than he was a player...it all went badly wrong for him down here

I was next to south in the low part of the east terrace. Shame about him though, he had nice hair as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here