Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where Does The North Start ?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Geographically, Yorkshire and Lancashire (including Greater Manchester).

Although if it’s the north-south debate, the north includes the West Midlands, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire.

From a northern point of view ( I lived here a while now and have been advised of this many times) ,if it’s the north-south debate, the south includes the West Midlands, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
if it’s the north-south debate, the south includes the West Midlands, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire

It feckin does not, in my book.....

Seriously though, when travelling back over numerous years from the north down the M1, I always felt I had made it back to a certain type of safety when I stopped or passed Toddington services.....

Like minded folk, I could understand, not strain to guess what locals are actually saying or on about.

Civilization so to speak....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
North of the Downs is generally considered the North by us lot.

But I think a more reasonable view is probably anything North of Birmingham

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Turning it round, my mate from Wigan says The South starts for him at Birmingham.

For me, going up, it's Watford.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
From a northern point of view ( I lived here a while now and have been advised of this many times) ,if it’s the north-south debate, the south includes the West Midlands, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire

You're obviously wrong.

There's the south and then the north. The midlands is an area the other two do not wish to be associated with in any manner.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The key to this is Lincolnshire.

If you go due north up the Greenwich Meridian you will pass through the sacred county. Stamford, in the south, is roughly level with Birmingham and therefore definitely Midlands. My sister's village, near Grimsby, is further up than Liverpool and therefore truly North.

The answer to the question therefore is somewhere near Boothby Graffoe.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Anyone who thinks Shropshire is in the "North" is a geography dimwit ....
We are known round these parts as "the heart of England"

I'll confess that until the age of 23 when I lived on the Sussex coast Pyecombe pylons were the reference point and when I moved to Mid-Sussex [for 15 years] the "line" drifted to the river Thames.
I've been living here in the heart of England now for almost 20 years and we are MOST DEFINITELY NOT NORTHERNERS !!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
where do the songs against the North / South start.

For me Birmingham you can call a Brummie a northern monkey but it doesnt cut as deep.

For me true northern monkeyness starts about Nottingham. Leicester is bang on the border of it all.

Sheffield / Yorkshire and Lancashire the true home for Northern monkeys ( stretching either side to Liverpool to Grimsby/Hull

Things improve for me once you get through it all to the North pennines / carlisle / geordie land. Those lot are alright

**edit , if you doubt Nottingham... its level with Stoke and that is true monkey land

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's good to know the precise Sussex town or village from which NSC posters live 3 miles south. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here