Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where Does The North Start ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interesting discussion with a friendly random in Twitter over where the 'North' starts.

I concluded a while ago that the crooked spire in Chesterfield was the entry point. I wonder if folk differ on this ?

Yes they do differ! For some, the M25 represents the northern edge of civilisation. The Jarrow lads I shared a flat with at Uni reckoned Liverpool was part of the south!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
On another Football Forum my signature states: "The North Begins at Gatwick".

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
North is an artifice that doesn't actually exist anywhere other than in our minds.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Watford Gap. I was born and grew up here, but all my family are from the Midlands and I've always thought that as the north to me, personally I've never seen a difference. Relatives inserting the word 'our' or 'ar' before saying my first name, referring to Sussex as 'down south' and being called a 'daft apeth' confirms this.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Watford Gap. I was born and grew up here, but all my family are from the Midlands and I've always thought that as the north to me, personally I've never seen a difference. Relatives inserting the word 'our' or 'ar' before saying my first name, referring to Sussex as 'down south' and being called a 'daft apeth' confirms this.

My Mum used to call me a 'daft apeth' and she was born in Brighton !

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
The line that links the Severn to the Humber is a guide that works for me.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My Mum used to call me a 'daft apeth' and she was born in Brighton !

With all due respect to your Mum, I doubt she looked and sounded just like Dame Thora Hird did when my Great Auntie Mary said it to me.

(Fortunately her and my Great Uncle Harry never needed a Stannah stair lift like Dame Thora did as they lived in a bungalow in Hinckley.)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Depends where you are I suppose. One of my friends is from Derbyshire, and gets called a southerner round here!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Watford

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here