Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where ARE all the POYET outers NOW ?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
One of the few times this season I have been really pleased when seeing the line-up.

Perfect team selection helped by some fortunate suspensions and injuries.

Well done Gus.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Until we scored we were not all over them at all. Took a good run and cross from Buckley and a scrambled finish, and then a piece of luscious magic from David. Then against a side making substitutions galore to turn the game around we unsurprisingly had space to shine when we wanted. I liked playing with two wingers and can see it happening again here and there, but without two defensive midfielders we had a hole in the centre of the park and against a team on their game i would worry again.
We all want to win but being simply slapdash is not the answer. And believing that playing a game of control and possession is defensive is for me the thinking of the hoofhappy and impatient lumpitintheboxers.

Good defence of Gus' over-defensive attitude, but...

We will NOT make the play-offs if we continue to be too defensive... we MUST take risks to stand a reasonable chance of making the play-offs and, therefore, the promised land.

Gus' over-emphasis on defence has got us to 7th. We should be comfortably in the top 6 with our attacking resources.

Gus has some of the best attacking resources in this league and he HAS severely under-utilised them. Ironically, when we are down to the bare bones striker-wise, he FINALLY plays 2 wingers. We win.

Gus MUST learn the lessons of today's game.

Oh, and ****-off back to your sh1t-holes Palar$e scum!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Two wingers as I have said all along. We have TALENT. Bridders can do it on his own we domt need to cram in Dicler Hammomd Crofts and Barnes (whem not suspemded as some quasi left sided player)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

We will NOT make the play-offs if we continue to be too defensive... we MUST take risks to stand a reasonable chance of making the play-offs and, therefore, the promised land.

Gus' over-emphasis on defence has got us to 7th. We should be comfortably in the top 6 with our attacking resources.

Gus has some of the best attacking resources in this league and he HAS severely under-utilised them. Ironically, when we are down to the bare bones striker-wise, he FINALLY plays 2 wingers. We win.

I'm not anti-2-wingers at all. It's quite possible that if LuaLua had been in form and was willing to put the effort in, just as he did today, that he could have been one of a double-winger formation. BUt whenever he started a game he'd be muscled out of usually, and always clung to the wing, not providing the same constant movement that super-mobile Buckley does. Also, as stated, we didn't have a frontman with the aerial prowess and positional brilliance of Ulloa, so i don't think it was some tactical balls-up. And Orlandi is a rather attacking wideman so oughtn't be classed as being picked for a defensive line-up.

Mainly, i think the confusion lies in who is playing defensively. It's generally the opposition who park the bus and we're there to prod and poke and look to smash a few windows. Only Watford came out to attack and play, sometimes on the break, and they had a brilliant array of neat touches and pace that in all honesty we could not match. So, that means that one-on-one most teams think we'll do them and don't want to try it on. They're happy with an away draw or to nick a game and go home with 3 points. That sounds rather intelligent by them, really. While us throwing everything at someone, like we oft do at the end of a game, doesn't quite seem so tactically astute. This league is a game of physical chess and not one of It's a Knockout.
Now, though, we're at a crunch stage and i am not against going for it, most certainly at home.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not anti-2-wingers at all. It's quite possible that if LuaLua had been in form and was willing to put the effort in, just as he did today, that he could have been one of a double-winger formation. BUt whenever he started a game he'd be muscled out of usually, and always clung to the wing, not providing the same constant movement that super-mobile Buckley does. Also, as stated, we didn't have a frontman with the aerial prowess and positional brilliance of Ulloa, so i don't think it was some tactical balls-up. And Orlandi is a rather attacking wideman so oughtn't be classed as being picked for a defensive line-up.

Mainly, i think the confusion lies in who is playing defensively. It's generally the opposition who park the bus and we're there to prod and poke and look to smash a few windows. Only Watford came out to attack and play, sometimes on the break, and they had a brilliant array of neat touches and pace that in all honesty we could not match. So, that means that one-on-one most teams think we'll do them and don't want to try it on. They're happy with an away draw or to nick a game and go home with 3 points. That sounds rather intelligent by them, really. While us throwing everything at someone, like we oft do at the end of a game, doesn't quite seem so tactically astute. This league is a game of physical chess and not one of It's a Knockout.
Now, though, we're at a crunch stage and i am not against going for it, most certainly at home.

Good!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Withdean Wanderer, Husty, pork pie, et al, your negativity took one helluva beating today.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Gus got some ideas from Gordon Strachan on Thursday night I reckon when they were summarising the Chelsea match on ITV.

Withdean Wanderer will be thinking of something to moan about from today or waiting for the other tough matches coming up in the next few weeks if they're not perfect performances or results.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm going out on a limb here, I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but until such time:-

We've never played 2 wingers in a balanced side.

The 'other' winger gets subbed onto a team with at least 2 holding midfielders, and maybe 1 creative one.
So instantly the formation is off kilter.

I've said it elsewhere but IMHO the reason why we looked great (all over the pitch) wasn't because of KLL & Buckley, but the shape Dave and Orlandi gave us.

This in turn made Bridders job even easier, for him, because nobody else was in the way slowing things down.

It's never been as difficult as Gus seems to make it out to be.
The moment Spanish Dave found his feet, the jigsaw was in place.

Sure we've hunted all over the place for the last piece, but even then and up until today Gus has refused to just make the bloody jigsaw.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Until we scored we were not all over them at all. Took a good run and cross from Buckley and a scrambled finish, and then a piece of luscious magic from David. Then against a side making substitutions galore to turn the game around we unsurprisingly had space to shine when we wanted. I liked playing with two wingers and can see it happening again here and there, but without two defensive midfielders we had a hole in the centre of the park and against a team on their game i would worry again.
We all want to win but being simply slapdash is not the answer. And believing that playing a game of control and possession is defensive is for me the thinking of the hoofhappy and impatient lumpitintheboxers.

Good post.

Playing 2 wingers won't work against every team as not every team sets themselves up in the same way as Palace (a fact that the flabby-brained flappy-mouthed Gus boo boys can't comprehend).

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

I agree to a point BUT I think it is not having a player like Ulloa that has got us to 7th.
There was no point playing Lua Lua and Buckley when all we had was CMS upfront so he had to do something different - and to be fair it didn't work out too badly.
HOWEVER now we have Ulloa we need to put crosses in the box for him and agree fully we should play 2 wingers from now on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here