Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When were these photos taken at the Goldstone ?

I bolted out of the NW corner gate heading towards Hove Park Tavern when all the Chelsea lot came out of the Lego stand exit, they hadn't been involved in any "fun" thus far so were looking to make up on lost time, luckily I didn't have my Rosette on, so escaped un harmed on a 49A

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
The pitch invasion was at the end of the game (mind you there may have been more before the final whistle). If anyone wants a reason why football-watching went down the tubes in the 80s this match was the perfect example. Chelsea had a notorious following at the time and thousands of them were in the Goldstone that day. It didn't matter which part of the ground you were in there was aggro there.

Probably the worst scene was after the game finished, a lone policeman was in the middle of the pitch, he was trying to get the invading fans off when he was jumped on, knocked to the ground and kicked unconscious. A foreign student who was in our group looked on horrified. He turned to us and said "Is this what the English call entertainment?". I'm afraid we didn't have an answer.

I can't understand why there weren't far more crush and stampede deaths when fighting broke out in these dilapidated old death-trap dumps we paid money to get into.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
On the subject of the North Stand roof, how many years did it actually not have one? It seemed like ages, but it definitely had a roof on my first and last visits.

Old one came down in summer 1980. New one opened in 1985.

D

Deleted User X18H

I bolted out of the NW corner gate heading towards Hove Park Tavern when all the Chelsea lot came out of the Lego stand exit, they hadn't been involved in any "fun" thus far so were looking to make up on lost time, luckily I didn't have my Rosette on, so escaped un harmed on a 49A
I stayed on fought after the Scoombers bailed out . I clocked John Hollins one and reported Chris Hutchings for swearing at at policeman.

D

Deleted User X18H

The pitch invasion was at the end of the game (mind you there may have been more before the final whistle). If anyone wants a reason why football-watching went down the tubes in the 80s this match was the perfect example. Chelsea had a notorious following at the time and thousands of them were in the Goldstone that day. It didn't matter which part of the ground you were in there was aggro there.

Probably the worst scene was after the game finished, a lone policeman was in the middle of the pitch, he was trying to get the invading fans off when he was jumped on, knocked to the ground and kicked unconscious. A foreign student who was in our group looked on horrified. He turned to us and said "Is this what the English call entertainment?". I'm afraid we didn't have an answer.

They all bravely chanter 'kill kill kill the bill'as they kicked him . Awful really . They said Fozzie wound them up with his smokin gun salute after we equalised . In reality he was flicking them V's . I saw one in braces and a bowler hat which years later I realised was a homage to Alex from a ClockWork Orange . We beat Derby on the Tuesday after .

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
They all bravely chanter 'kill kill kill the bill'as they kicked him . Awful really . They said Fozzie would them up with his smokim gun salute after we equalised . In reality he was flicking them V's . I saw one in braces and a bowler hat which years later I realised was a homage to Alex from a ClockWork Orange . We best Derby on the Tuesday after .

I think your keyboard is broken.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
The breaking of that crossbar was immediately preceded by one of the most infamous orders given in Sussex Police history - to 3 officers by a police sergeant, "Go get those thugs off the crossbar". None of the 3 made it back in one piece.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Old one came down in summer 1980. New one opened in 1985.

I thought the new one opened in the autumn of 1984. I remember the North Stand was out of use for a few matches at the start of that season.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Came across these on google...

Bit of Aggro for Pretty Pink fairy to reminisce about....
Believe it or not, the bloke in the top photo out in front wearing the denim shirt died this morning, known as dodger , sheffield utd fan.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Love the way the guy, centre right in the top picture, is looking a bit worried as he squares up one on one with the long haired guy whilst his two mates behind him steam confident that they will then be involved in three against one. Brave lads!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I must be going senile I do not recall the crossbar getting broken at the Chelsea game , I do recall the Friday night bloody mayhem , Chelsea got a bit of a wake up call that night for sure .

Could be wrong but I think this was the match where the police were tipped off about a stash of weapons and petrol bombs ,kinel ....at Churchill square

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here