Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When i was a kid-a bygone era.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can't believe the thread has got this far and has not yet mentioned the 3 magic words:

WATNEYS

PARTY

SEVEN

Simply marvellous beer......

No, no - it wasn't!!! :nono:

Have been drinking since the mid 1970's and as I have got older the standard of Beer in the UK has got better and better via the microbrewery scene.

When I was a lad Cheshire was dreadful for beer choice and quality, if you were lucky and lived on the north side of the County you might find a Boddingtons pub, when I go back up there now almost every Free House has a decent local micro on tap.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh yes and when I was a lad (late 60's) almost all motorbikes were British, noisy, backfired and pissed oil out of every joint.

On reflection the term 'Greaser' that Bikers of that era had was almost certainly down to the inability of Hermatite Red to keep the black stuff inside the engine.

Still didn't stop me from having a BSA and two Nortons! :clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The little blue bags of salt in Smiths Crisps
Leather footballs
Football BOOTS not the lightweight shoes they wear these days and moreover black not the various colours of the rainbow we have today
Footballers travelling to "work" on the bus
Vinyl singles for 6 shillings (or was it 6/3)
And, as others have mentioned, decent bloody tv not the crap that's on these days
Most importantly politeness - nobody seems to have any manners these days <sigh>
God what a moaning old sod I seem to be !!!!

6s 8d (3 for a pound)

Lp's for 32s.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
The old Regent ballroom (where Boots is now at the Clocktower). A must on a Thursday night.

The Starlight Rooms in Montpelier Road.

The Florida Rooms (where the Sea Life Centre is now). Sunday nights we used to go down there to watch The Who play live and once met the one and only John Lee Hooker walking up the steps.

One shilling to get in the "Boys" entrance at the Goldstone and at half-time, they would open up the gates so that we could stand behind a different goal each half.

And we had one of those really old wooden football rattles!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The SS Brighton in West Street. Wrestling Saturday nights and the great Brighton Tigers on Sunday Nights. Both nights the place was packed.

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
SS Brighton Ice Rink, West Street

ice rink.png

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Coming down the hill sitting on my Beano annual on top of a roller skate. The original skateboards.

Do you remember the giant summer hill slides on pieces of cardboard. Mine was the hill between Higher Bev and the old folks home at Heath Hill Ave

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Did jury duty a couple of weeks ago and the court tuck shop sold fruit polos. Bought a tube every day!

kip

Aug 2, 2011
A while ago one afternoon my girlfriends 22year old cousin came round to say hello. I was playing some old records and asked her to put the next one on, all went well until she put the needle in the middle of the record. She said she had never done it before. Did make me feel old.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
1 spangles
2 opal fruits
3 Texan bars
4 soda stream
5 hey look that's me (kid nasty )
6 why don't you ( absolute shit)
7 the red hand gang ( great theme tune, da da da da da da )
8 the pink windmill ( rod hull, grotbags)
9 razzamatazz ( with biggins , Betty Babcock )
10 subbeteo
11 flight deck
12 roy of the rovers
13 jackie and pink ( my sisters comics not mine )
14 jj Barrie. No charge (no 1 in charts 4 weeks how ? Look it up on utube hilarious
15 electric blue lois cords ( trousers )
16 tank tops
17 vinyl record shops ( subway top of west street , virgin opposite boots 1st store I think )
18 pubs on Sunday 12 - 2 opening times , waiting outside em with a packet of bovril crisps & coke for whole 2 hours until my dad had finished drinking )
19 the old man at
goldstone argus seller , shouting argus or the shoot
20 being a kid again

southasp

Jan 24, 2009
portslade
1)Soda stream
2)Texan bars
3)Rag and bone man
4)One pound notes
5)Petrol stations with attendants who would operate the pumps
6)Play scheme where in the holidays you could go back to school,great for parents but crap for the kids!!
7)Swap shop on Saturday morning telly
8)Packs of football/star wars cards with horrid tasting bubble gum inside
9)Bus conductors
10)Tape recorders/cassettes

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Jamboree bags
Hooper Stroove lemonade with rubber and metal bottle tops.
Airfix construction kits
Salmons in Patcham being closed on Sundays
Pick of the Pops on Sunday afternoon
Liquorice flavour Spangles
Crackerjack with Leslie Crowther
Jonny Quest
The smell of Hornby Dublo loco engines
The next Beatles or Stones single
Waiting on hols abroad for dad to buy yesterday's Daily Express to see the Albion match result.
Sticks of liquorice from Toms grocers in Patcham
Parafin heaters

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
White dog shit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here