Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When exactly was the moment Bono disappeared right up his own backside?

When did he become a cock?

• Always been a cock.

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • Boy period

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • October period

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • War period

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The Unforgettable Fire period

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • The Joshua Tree period

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Rattle and Hum period (definite signs here inmho)

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Achtung Baby period

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Zooropa period

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Pop period

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • All that You Cant Leave Behind period

• Atomic Bomb period

• No Line on the Horizon period

• Never been a knob, you misunderstand the cuban heels, wrap-round indoor shades and preaching

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
"Sunday Bloody Sunday". What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!".

:laugh:
Biggest laugh of the day for me reading that!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
They appeared at the tail end of punk, didn't they? I remember Fire or whatever it was, on TOTP. They didn't seem 'real' to me. I was way cool. An authentic punk...

But they kept coming back, and my mate Tim kept telling me how good they were. So I kept listening, wanting to 'get it'.

I couldn't though. They just seemed shit.

I began to really hate U2 around the time they released The Joshua Tree. This was, to me, bombastic shite, derivative 80s nonsense, on a par with the worst excesses of Simple Minds. And with my hatred of them came the realisation that Bono was a cock of the highest order.

So, for me, this was the moment that Bono finally disappeared up his own arse.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Joshua Tree - Rattle and Hum period - When they all decided to be cowboys IMO.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Probably when he was standing up on a stage pontificating about the rich and the poor and how terrible it is all the while wearing his $5000 designers jeans.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Slotting your fortune away in Holland whilst espousing help for the poor is a bit nobby.

"But it's a business decision."

Ok, you stop talking about feeding the poor then.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
When he was born - the overhyped midget, twerp that he is (polite).
Why he needs to wear wrap around shades in the dark is anybody's guess.
Has he an optical condition as well as vocal ?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
After all these years, Bono 'still hasn't found what he's looking for'.
Perhaps he might have more luck if he took off those stupid sunglasses.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Constantly reinvented themselves and I've generally enjoyed all their music

Then fair enough, music is a personal thing after all but I think a major part of their re-invention to stadium rock and their signature sound owes a huge debt of gratitude to Brian Eno. I'd definitely dispute the notion that they've 'constantly' re-invented themselves. I think they've stuck to a winning formula pretty much since the Joshua Tree.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
After all these years, Bono 'still hasn't found what he's looking for'.
Perhaps he might have more luck if he took off those stupid sunglasses.

Boy George once talked about how he fancied Larry Mullen, and said that if Bono still hadn't found what he was looking for, then perhaps he should turn around and look behind the drum kit.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Or maybe some people just have different opinions and tastes to your own?

FFS! I wasn't saying this is some sort of definitive list.
I don't especially like either but recognise they're hailed as leading bands on the global stage. If you're picking a fight, come to the wrong house I'm afraid.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Then fair enough, music is a personal thing after all but I think a major part of their re-invention to stadium rock and their signature sound owes a huge debt of gratitude to Brian Eno. I'd definitely dispute the notion that they've 'constantly' re-invented themselves. I think they've stuck to a winning formula pretty much since the Joshua Tree.

Eno and many others too as they'd say themselves. Team effort, include the wives in that circle too I guess.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
FFS! I wasn't saying this is some sort of definitive list.
I don't especially like either but recognise they're hailed as leading bands on the global stage. If you're picking a fight, come to the wrong house I'm afraid.
I didn't make myself clear - it was the reference to 'the too for school knockers' as if people are only expressing negativity towards Bono and U2 as part of keeping up some sort of image rather than becaus ethey just don't like them. Coldplay fans do the same thing, funnily enough.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I was in the pub last week and it turned into a battle of the biggest idiots in music. He had some tough competition but suffice to say Bono won it by a country mile.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They appeared at the tail end of punk, didn't they? I remember Fire or whatever it was, on TOTP. They didn't seem 'real' to me. I was way cool. An authentic punk...

But they kept coming back, and my mate Tim kept telling me how good they were. So I kept listening, wanting to 'get it'.

I couldn't though. They just seemed shit.

I began to really hate U2 around the time they released The Joshua Tree. This was, to me, bombastic shite, derivative 80s nonsense, on a par with the worst excesses of Simple Minds. And with my hatred of them came the realisation that Bono was a cock of the highest order.

So, for me, this was the moment that Bono finally disappeared up his own arse.

I know where you are coming from here, I was into punk when they came out and had some mates that loved U2, I didn't get them, I thought U2 were a big hype, I used to go and see bands at Jenkinsons on Sunday nights in the late 70s, U2 played there but I wasn't interested in going.

I thought Coldplay were the same when they came out, another massive hype.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here