Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When exactly was the moment Bono disappeared right up his own backside?

When did he become a cock?

• Always been a cock.

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • Boy period

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • October period

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • War period

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The Unforgettable Fire period

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • The Joshua Tree period

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Rattle and Hum period (definite signs here inmho)

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Achtung Baby period

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Zooropa period

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Pop period

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • All that You Cant Leave Behind period

• Atomic Bomb period

• No Line on the Horizon period

• Never been a knob, you misunderstand the cuban heels, wrap-round indoor shades and preaching

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Achtung Baby for me, although I was tiring of all the rigging climbing well before that. U2 used to be awesome when they were just a rock band.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Rattle and Hum was rubbish. Absolute tosh. However, he was displaying bloated rock star tendencies before that. I was at Wembley Stadium 1987 on the Joshua Tree tour :blush: and I remember Bono saying "This is a big, big stadium. But let me tell you this, every single one of you is as big as this stadium." People roared their approval, but it was the beginning of the end for me - as someone who had really enjoyed The Unforgettable Fire (I still play it occasionally), and who liked The Joshua Tree. Rattle and Hum was the last album of theirs that I bought, as well as being the first to be sold on eBay (£2.50 buy-it-now - very happy). Still like Wide Awake In America. A friend of mine had a four x 7" picture disc set of Bono interviews. Really tedious stuff about all he could as a rock star to make the world a better place. It's a shame really, as he probably does genuinely want to help, but undermines it by being a ridiculous tax-dodging nincompoop.

Ha!

I bought the Joshua Tree cassette off a kid called Gary at school for 5p in 1988. That's the closest I ever got to U2 and that Nobo.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
85, Live Aid when Mr Paul Hewson found out he could change the world through music!

With that said, Rattle and Hum had some great music on it, Heartland (was made to go on Joshua Tree), God Pt II for raw energy. Achtung Baby was their last great album but for me as a big U2 fan of old, Unforgettable Fire was their best album.

In regards the Edge, their names was created whilst at school due to the shape of his head if I remember right and Bono Vox (latin for good voice)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't remember |Bono as an entity distinct from his band before 'The Joshua Tree' came out so it must have been about then :thumbsup: Still love the Pet Shop Boys version of 'Where The Streets Have No Name' though...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Never been a fan of their music. How they got so big is a mystery to me. I suppose they sold. One or two catchy tunes over the years but it's the sort of band a middle aged father would take their 14 year old son to see for his first concert. Weirdly. I've never seen Bono interviewed in my life so have no idea what he is like. But he looks like a prick so I'm going with prick.

Der'es more to Oirland dan dis.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He is a cock but on the other hand I think "Bad" is my favourite bit of Live Aid, some warm-up act for Queen that was.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Up there with Stones and the Beatles regardless of what the too cool for school knockers might want you to believe. Constantly reinvented themselves and I've generally enjoyed all their music along the way but then I like most music genres bar thrash metal. Fair play to the Dublin boys, they've done a lot, made a lot and given a lot. So on balance, they're a force for good IMO. Not that they'll care in the slightest what we all think! One thing about that one child dies every clap ditty - I've heard that accredited to at least 20 different people (politicians, rock stars etc) so isn't it just an urban myth or at least just an amusing bit of typical Glaswegian humour?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Whilst it all started at Rattle and Hum, the full on cock period really kicked in after Achtung Baby and the Zoo TV tours. I saw them at Wembley Stadium and I reckon at least half anhour of their two hour set was wasted with preaching, he even brought Salman Rushdie on stage around the time he was supposed to be in hiding.

The other hour and a half was wasted with watching videos on a Big screen. Absolute disgrace of a gig

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'd say it was the Rattle & Hum period when Bono started to get up of self importance (track Silver & Gold). That said Bono has stood the test of time, just when you thought U2 had lost it they come back with a masterpiece

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
He is a cock but on the other hand I think "Bad" is my favourite bit of Live Aid, some warm-up act for Queen that was.

The Unforgettable Fire version of Bad played loudly through a really decent stereo is totally brilliant. Possibly my favourite bass line ever.
I somehow like the fact that Bono is so far up his own arse that he can actually smell twice fold through his nose. That alone is rock and roll.
Also, The Last Night On Earth from Pop, is a very good track.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I can tolerate a bit of rock n roll pomposity if at the core the music is just mind blowing. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the like. But for all U2's blustering and peacocking, light shows, enormous set design, 50 truck road crew etc their music is below average, 3 chord, pub rock. Really nowt special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here