Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] When did Facebook become a scam site?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
As a Private Investigator, with the past 12 years of work being done mostly within online activity and social media investigations…

…I would recommend to anyone and everyone that will listen to fully lock down and privatize your accounts, better yet wipe and delete them entirely.

Don’t trust external links, particularly to news sites, and don’t assume you’re talking to who you believe to be talking to.

Stick to communicating via WhatsApp, text, phone, or messenger apps if you have to.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I used to be a pretty avid FB user, but not any more. My 'enjoyment' of it has been ruined by random ads every few posts, that I tend to just delete in the hope that they don't appear again. However, they just get replaced by other random ads!

On the flip side, I'm able to see through all that guff and take in updates from people that I need/want to and keep up with a few groups that I'm part of. But, on the whole, it's a massive waste of time and energy. I've never used it personally, but Facebook Marketplace in particular seems to be a wholly awful experience for people looking to sell stuff.
It just seems everyone I know who was tried to sell something there gets “hi, can I send you the money and my uncle will collect it?” Nonsense

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As a Private Investigator, with the past 12 years of work being done mostly within online activity and social media investigations…

…I would recommend to anyone and everyone that will listen to fully lock down and privatize your accounts, better yet wipe and delete them entirely.

Don’t trust external links, particularly to news sites, and don’t assume you’re talking to who you believe to be talking to.
Wise words, I don't trust anyone apart me, myself and I

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Going to get flamed for generalising here I'm sure, but there is a real issue with older people, digital literacy and what Facebook has become.

Facebook changed with its demographics. Older people started to use it to share anything and everything of interest and the platform wasn't really built for that. Meta (or Facebook at the time) offered a less clunky alternative in Instagram where it is really difficult to post anything that links out of the site/app. Young people left Facebook en masse leaving it to become a sort of unchecked cave of people not sharing new content but links to external sites. With the lack of new content, the algorithm has to fill in the blanks and anyone and everyone can take advantage of Facebook ads and their great ad targeting - it's an easily accessible audience for those with not very nice motives.

I was thinking along the same lines but I wouldn't limit it just older people nor to just Facebook. Schools, governments and society at large should really do more about this.

Problem is there are too many vested interests.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I was thinking along the same lines but I wouldn't limit it just older people nor to just Facebook. Schools, governments and society at large should really do more about this.

Problem is there are too many vested interests.
I somewhat agree it's not just limited to older people regarding digital literacy in general but I think in terms of Facebook it's probably true.

To give my opinion a somewhat factual background, about 28% of active Facebook users are under 34 according to the company. Instagram stands at 42%, and TikTok at 48%. It's become an opportunistic platform for people, who in this case are older and therefore less digitally inclined, to be taken advantage of.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Wise words, I don't trust anyone apart me, myself and I
1702404222008.png

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I hate the manipulation of FB and how Cambridge Analytica used algorithms to target people with specific lies to sway our population enough to vote for Brexit.
I'm self-employed and have got three decent chunks of work from companies in the last few weeks by seeing what I'm doing by following my posts (I'm a tour manager).
So I view it as a necessary evil and use it, which is probably the wrong thing to do.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
For what it's worth, I've never used Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or any of that crap.
Just saying. If you want to talk to a mate, pick up the fekkin phone.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve a very longstanding FB account, which I log into once a year to catch up with extended family and relatives. I always feel slightly guilty that I missed happy birthday messages sent to me 10 months ago.

People tell me there’s a load of propaganda on FB eg the likes of Le Tiss, assorted left and right wing nuts, and aggressive political arguments. I can’t see it … presumably because I always ignored the ultra opinionated on FB, trying to ram their one-eyed views on everyone else. Once involved, the algorithms have you.

Another tedious thing, we mocked this circa ten years back, insecure parents giving a running commentary on their brats achievements. From swimming 100m, passing the cycling test in Preston Park, exam results and twats publicly claimimg that their 14 year old is the best skier or cricketer or singer for their age :sleep:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here