Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] When did Facebook become a scam site?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
He says. On NSC. A social media site :drool: :ROFLMAO:

NSC is a format that long precedes that of modern social media. It's essentially an evolution of the now ancient bulletin board, and as anonymous as we want it to be. It's unsocial social media, if at all.

I guess we do get the same endorphin releasing kick when involved with an exciting thread - but there's no clever algorithms involved determining what we should be reading on any kind of 'feed'... A scammer would likely last 5 minutes here, and possibly be at risk of getting Jamied while he's at it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
NSC is a format that long precedes that of modern social media. It's essentially an evolution of the now ancient bulletin board, and as anonymous as we want it to be. It's unsocial social media, if at all.

I guess we do get the same endorphin releasing kick when involved with an exciting thread - but there's no clever algorithms involved determining what we should be reading on any kind of 'feed'... A scammer would likely last 5 minutes here, and possibly be at risk of getting Jamied while he's at it.
Indeed.

It is an excellent social media platform. And if you pay to become a Premium Licker you get to see no adverts at all :thumbsup:

However.... (what I said before).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

How do you know??!?..... You only see the threads you see, there may be others you don't see.....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought that was what I was doing. Are you suggesting I just ignore what other people post? I suppose I do that anyway, by almost never reading what's posted.

My point was I don't recall ever reading fake news, posted by nobody I know, like an advert, in my 'timeline'. I will be more careful in future.
Needs more fish puns.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Haven't used it for over three years apart from the odd Messenger chat where I know people don't have my number.

It's bliss.
So how do you wish someone you worked with for 3 months, didn’t like and haven’t seen for 8 years a Happy Birthday, or tell a female that she’s beautiful on the inside and out?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So how do you wish someone you worked with for 3 months, didn’t like and haven’t seen for 8 years a Happy Birthday, or tell a female that she’s beautiful on the inside and out?
Personally, I wouldn't be 'friends' with them in the first place :shrug:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was getting fed up of my feed being clogged up by clickbait nonsense I had no interest in. I have actually found a way of making it more useable for me though. I deleted the app from my phone, so I wasn't tempted to just mindlessly scroll it during the day. When I view it on my laptop I use this link: https://www.facebook.com/?filter=all&sk=h_chr which filters the news feed to only people/groups I follow. I also unfollowed people who annoyed me too much.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I left it several years ago. I communicate with my actual friends in other ways and anyone that I don't speak with is obviously not that important to me so I just didn't see the point.

I think it's original purpose was good but it's completely spiralled away from that and full of scams, targeted ads and racist family members.

It hasn't got long left, young people don't seem to use it at all

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It was only a joke
I know. But I also know people have all sorts of randoms in their friends list – even those they haven't met – and cannot bring themselves to delete (or even mute) them.

I muted someone a while ago and then found out that they had 'de-friended' me! Maybe we were thinking along the same lines as each other... :lolol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Facebook Marketplace is like the unregulated wild west - full of scammers and fake products etc... and no protection if you get scammed... BUYER BEWARE!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know. But I also know people have all sorts of randoms in their friends list – even those they haven't met – and cannot bring themselves to delete (or even mute) them.

I muted someone a while ago and then found out that they had 'de-friended' me! Maybe we were thinking along the same lines as each other... :lolol:
Didn’t you know FB is a popularity contest? It’s like LinkedIn where if you have loads of contacts (and other users can see that) then you must be popular and important. It’s all a load of virtual cr*p! 🤮

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Facebook Marketplace is like the unregulated wild west - full of scammers and fake products etc... and no protection if you get scammed... BUYER BEWARE!
I’m astonished at the amount of fake stuff of top brands that’s on there

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Left a few years ago - got fed up of the "Oh look, little Tommy has had his first potty shit". Equally, the number of people who project they have the perfect lifestyle - neighbour used to do that yet we could here the daily rows - awful site. If I wish to 'speak' to someone I use the phone or Whatsapp.
Don’t ever go on LinkedIn :lol:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Going to get flamed for generalising here I'm sure, but there is a real issue with older people, digital literacy and what Facebook has become.

Facebook changed with its demographics. Older people started to use it to share anything and everything of interest and the platform wasn't really built for that. Meta (or Facebook at the time) offered a less clunky alternative in Instagram where it is really difficult to post anything that links out of the site/app. Young people left Facebook en masse leaving it to become a sort of unchecked cave of people not sharing new content but links to external sites. With the lack of new content, the algorithm has to fill in the blanks and anyone and everyone can take advantage of Facebook ads and their great ad targeting - it's an easily accessible audience for those with not very nice motives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here