Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] When did Facebook become a scam site?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just went on Facebook for the first time in maybe a year. In my feed was an intriguing link to a BBC news report. Except it isn't. Its a fake site:

https://puxmit.site/andsomeother bollocks I have deleted

Very disappointing as Facebook is the only link I have to a lot of people I may want to chat with maybe only once every year or so. I thought they were above all that shit. Live and learn :shrug:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I left facebook just as covid started due to the scare mongering going on, I went back on it last spring to catch up with, as you say friends and music etc.
Recently left it again, as I don't really use it or contact anyone different, same old people moaning or look at me, look at me.

Pah, can do without that, I get my fix of that on here, me included.

look at me, look at me, I left facebook just like uncle Harry Wilsons Tackle.
were coooooooooooool.

Word.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why can't you just pull up your own profile, then select a friend from your list of friends (assuming you haven't put them all on ignore) and just send them a message?
I don't know. Why can't I?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Too many toxic arseholes bleating on about Karma when someone in their life does something they don’t like for my liking.

I can handle some toxic arseholes bleating on about karma when someone in their life does something they don’t like.

But Facebook has a too many toxic arseholes bleating on about karma when someone in their life does something they don’t like.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Don't believe any site is immune from scams, phishing etc.
Always be wary
The EXACT reason I never click on the ‘Anyone else playing Wordle?’ thread.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've muted virtually all my friends, most of whom either repost memes/jokes/cartoons or pictures of their children/drink/dinner.
Same. Only exceptions are my kids, close family members and a few select others. Probably about 5% of my Friend List in total remain unmuted

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Around the time Brexit started to happen, I noticed it was a propaganda site filled with misinformation, disinformation and malinformation. Glad I wasn't on it during the plandemic.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I just went on Facebook for the first time in maybe a year. In my feed was an intriguing link to a BBC news report. Except it isn't. Its a fake site:

https://puxmit.site/andsomeother bollocks I have deleted

Very disappointing as Facebook is the only link I have to a lot of people I may want to chat with maybe only once every year or so. I thought they were above all that shit. Live and learn :shrug:
I used to be a pretty avid FB user, but not any more. My 'enjoyment' of it has been ruined by random ads every few posts, that I tend to just delete in the hope that they don't appear again. However, they just get replaced by other random ads!

On the flip side, I'm able to see through all that guff and take in updates from people that I need/want to and keep up with a few groups that I'm part of. But, on the whole, it's a massive waste of time and energy. I've never used it personally, but Facebook Marketplace in particular seems to be a wholly awful experience for people looking to sell stuff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You posted that 'Facebook is the only link I have to a lot of people I may want to chat with maybe only once every year or so'. Facebook messaging gives you that facility :shrug:
I thought that was what I was doing. Are you suggesting I just ignore what other people post? I suppose I do that anyway, by almost never reading what's posted.

My point was I don't recall ever reading fake news, posted by nobody I know, like an advert, in my 'timeline'. I will be more careful in future.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Social media is a problem. A big problem.

If you think scamming is bad now, wait until AI really sets in.

Of course there are other issues such as mental health and social engineering, but that's another topic.

I genuinely think the best thing any one can do for their own wellbeing is leave the large social media sites and find other ways to spend their time and/or communicate with people.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh come on, I've solved the whole world's ills with a self affirming meme of love and light on there.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Left a few years ago - got fed up of the "Oh look, little Tommy has had his first potty shit". Equally, the number of people who project they have the perfect lifestyle - neighbour used to do that yet we could here the daily rows - awful site. If I wish to 'speak' to someone I use the phone or Whatsapp.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My daughter set me up a Facebook account years ago and made me her friend. She then realised that I could see all her friends and unfriended me. For the last 15 years I have had an account with no friends. I get the occasional e-mail telling me someone wants to be my friend and I immediately turn them down.

Works a treat for me :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Social media is a problem. A big problem.

If you think scamming is bad now, wait until AI really sets in.

Of course there are other issues such as mental health and social engineering, but that's another topic.

I genuinely think the best thing any one can do for their own wellbeing is leave the large social media sites and find other ways to spend their time and/or communicate with people.
He says. On NSC. A social media site :drool: :ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here