The lads gave 110% - :nono:

This lad scores for fun - another Atkinsonism

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"The players are innocent until proven guilty, Brian"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"[Insert name here] are a team who like to play football, so it should be good to watch"

What, as opposed to a team who like to play netball, or snooker, perhaps?

And, it's not quite a cliche, but it's annoying when you get a good punch-up on the pitch, and some self righteous pundit announces that:

"Oh dear, this isn't what we want to see. This really isn't the sort of thing supporters want to watch"

Of course it is, there's nothing that livens up a crap game better than a 20 man brawl, it gets the crowd and the players going.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
It was a team effort ....

it rarely is and usually said by the scorer of a hat trick!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
edna krabappel said:
"[Insert name here] are a team who like to play football, so it should be good to watch"

What, as opposed to a team who like to play netball, or snooker, perhaps?

And, it's not quite a cliche, but it's annoying when you get a good punch-up on the pitch, and some self righteous pundit announces that:

"Oh dear, this isn't what we want to see. This really isn't the sort of thing supporters want to watch"

Of course it is, there's nothing that livens up a crap game better than a 20 man brawl, it gets the crowd and the players going.

Marvellous scenes !

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On a slightly different note, why do all footballers talk in that peculiar tense:

"well Giggsy's flicked it through to Keano, who's nodded it on, and I've looked up, spotted Nevs, who's making a brilliant run, dinked it in to him, picked up the return and all I've had to do is slot it in really"

Normal people don't talk like that....

"Well, I've gone into Tesco, I've had a little look around, spotted a couple of decent offers on fish fingers and dropped 'em in the basket. Then, you know, I've picked up a lottery ticket and a couple of dark chocolate Bountys, done the business and gone on me way. I've gotta give credit to the other half, who, to be fair, has looked up and spotted that the old petrol's running a bit low, so I've filled up the car on the way too. You know"

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
On a slightly different note, the most annoying thing about football pundits up here is their annihilation of the English language and flagrant disregard for grammatical norms. - in particular the mixing of tenses.Step forward Murdo MacLeod and Willy Miller. "He's went in for the ball"
"He's came a long way in a short time". IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!

Almost as bad as Hoddle's response to the Times article which did for him as England Manager. "I never said them things." For me that's a sacking offence right away.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Jambo Seagull said:
On a slightly different note, the most annoying thing about football pundits up here is their annihilation of the English language and flagrant disregard for grammatical norms. - in particular the mixing of tenses.Step forward Murdo MacLeod and Willy Miller. "He's went in for the ball"
"He's came a long way in a short time". IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!

Almost as bad as Hoddle's response to the Times article which did for him as England Manager. "I never said them things." For me that's a sacking offence right away.

And their use of terms like "The former Scottish internationalist Ali McCoist" rather than "the former Scottish international Ali McCoist" and referring to Aberdeen v Dundee United as "the New Firm" .... Gordon Smith is responsible for most of it!!!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
"Barcelona... a club with a stadium that seats 120,000 people. And they're all here in Newcastle tonight!"

"Ronaldo is always very close to being either onside or offside."

"We were a little bit outnumbered there, it was two against two."

"Julian Dicks is everywhere, it's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

"If England are going to win this match, they're going to have to score a goal."

"You weigh up the pros and cons and try to put them into chronological order."

"Robert Lee was able to do some running on his groin for the first time."

"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."

"I'm not a believer in luck but I do believe you need it."

"What will you do when you leave football, Jack... will you stay in football?"

"Unfortunately, we keep kicking ourselves in the foot."

"Celtic were at one time nine points ahead, but somewhere along the road, their ship went off the rails."

"I've got a gut feeling in my stomach..."

"The new West Stand casts a giant shadow over the entire pitch, even on a sunny day"

"I would not say he [David Ginola] is the best left-winger in the Premiership, but there are none better."

"Johnson has revelled in the 'hole' behind Dwight Yorke..."

"An inch or two either side of the post and that would have been a goal."

"Both sides have scored a couple of goals, and both sides have conceded a couple of goals."

"You don't score 64 goals in 86 games at the highest level without being able to score goals."

"What's it like being in Bethlehem, the place where Christmas began? I suppose it's like seeing Ian
Wright at Arsenal..."

"And we all know that in football if you stand still you go backwards..."

"I was saying the other day, how often the most vulnerable area for goalies is between their
legs ...

"The lad got over-excited when he saw the whites of the goal post's eyes."

"If you can't stand the heat in the dressing-room, get out of the kitchen."

"The lads really ran their socks into the ground."

"He [Brian liaudrup] wasn't just facing one defender - he was facing one at the front and one at the back as well."

"It's now 1-1, an exact reversal of the score on Saturday."

"...but Arsenal are quick to credit Bergkamp with laying on 75% of their nine goals."

"an excellent player, but he [Ian Wright] does have a black side."

"We say 'educated left foot', of course, there are many players with educated right foots."

"That's twice now he [Terry Phelan] has got between himself and the goal."

"Mark Hughes at his very best: he loves to feel people right behind him...

"Gary "Gary always weighed up his options, especially when he had no choice."

"We threw our dice into the ring and turned up trumps."

"And I suppose they [Spurs] are nearer to being out of the FA Cup now than any other tine since the first half of this season, when they weren't ever in it anyway."

"...and he crosses the line with the ball almost mesmerically tied to his foot with a ball of string..." d v`

"I never make predictions and I never will."

"And there's Ray Clemence looking as cool as ever out in the cold."

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
"He hit the ball with his favourite left foot"

What, has he got several left feet to choose from?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here