What's your favourite Monty Python sketch?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Good to see Mr Smoketoomuch again.

But that sketch has been doctored. When it went out on TV, at the end of the bit where Mr Smoketoomuch is banging on about bolour supplement, sboolboy, bat etc Michael Palin says if he can't pronounce the letter b he should spell words with the letter k instead - such as Kings Bolledge Bambridge (Oxford in this version).

Mr Smoketoomuch say's he'd never thought of that and then utters the classic line that is now lost forever:

What a silly bunt!

Anyone else remember that or did I dream it?

I remember it as well , but I am wondering whether our memories are fusing the live shows with the BBC version. It's definatly on Live at Drury Lane . Same with the Albatross sketch . Absolute filth on Drury Lane , but a much milder version on the BBC original .

I remember it as well , but I am wondering whether our memories are fusing the live shows with the BBC version. It's definatly on Live at Drury Lane . Same with the Albatross sketch . Absolute filth on Drury Lane , but a much milder version on the BBC original .

I'm pretty sure it was on the original BBC show. Wasn't there an original LP before the Live at Drury Lane recoding? And now for something completely different, if memory serves.

I didn't really get into the recordings, except that first one but I watched all the shows when they went out and I remember being shocked - in a nice way! - at the what a silly bunt line. Pretty sure the BBC had no idea what it meant!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Being a plumbing & heating engineer I always liked the sketches with the hundreds of gas men queuing down the road in their brown coats--------not clever enough to do the pictures tho:hilton:
I can remember going to the Mulberry Pub in Worthing in the late seventies when after a few hours of ROCK the last 15mins? were devoted to Python stuff.

As I was saying, Is the Australian Uni sketch on Youtube?

"Bruce, this is Bruce Bruce Bruce and Bruce. What is Rule 1 Bruce?"

Yes, you'll find it under the Philosophers Song, the Bruce bit was a lead in.

The lyrics of the Philosophers Song were absolutely brilliant, some of the best they ever wrote.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya'
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED...

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away;
Half a crate of whiskey every day.
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
Hobbes was fond of his dram,
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart: "I drink, therefore I am"
Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm pretty sure it was on the original BBC show. Wasn't there an original LP before the Live at Drury Lane recoding? And now for something completely different, if memory serves.

I didn't really get into the recordings, except that first one but I watched all the shows when they went out and I remember being shocked - in a nice way! - at the what a silly bunt line. Pretty sure the BBC had no idea what it meant!

Last edited:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
two of my favourites were listed by Frutos and the other is the 'Argument Clinic'. I'm surprised we haven't seen this one yet though...

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The Piranha Brothers, but can only find it in two bits because it is quite long.

I love Graham Chapman as Vince Snettereton-Lewis: "Well, I was sitting at home, threatening the kids, when all at once through the hole in the wall, I sees this tank draw up, and out stepped Dinsdale."

Yep - this. On the rare occasions I need to use the word 'hyperbole' in relaxed conversation, I still refer to it as 'eye-per-bowl'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports