Whats the greatest WESTERN ever ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Les Biehn said:
There is a scene in North by Northwest where Grant is supposed to be drunk in charge of an out of control car and I swear he thinks its some sort of gurning competition. Funny but shit.

That doesn't stop N by NW from being one of the greatest movies of all time however.

Having dismissed two Hollywood legends, who would you consider to be a great actor?

Trufflehound said:
Plus the basic storyline: reluctant hero (Han Solo) goes to land far far away to rescue bolshy princess.

Except that Mifune does not play a reluctant hero - he's her general, it's his duty. (he's a lot more like Obi Wan in this sense)

(you could argue that the basic storyline is more based on the searchers!)

anyway, the basic storyline ain't exactly original full stop.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Trufflehound said:
That doesn't stop N by NW from being one of the greatest movies of all time however.

Having dismissed two Hollywood legends, who would you consider to be a great actor?

Keanu Reeves

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Cheeky Monkey said:
I have to say that for me one of the most boring films I've ever had the displeasure to sit through.

Are you on glue?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
McShane

FACT

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not telling. :p

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Trufflehound said:
It was released in Italy in 66, but didn't come out in the UK till 68...
Atcherly, the film came out here in 1966.

The version that got to No1 was not the original by Ennio Morricone, but a 'pop' version by the Hugo Montenegro Orchestra - the total chancer.

On the subject of theme tunes, someone mentioned Once Upon a Time in the West, which has an AWESOME soundtrack. The main theme, played when the leading woman first arrives in the film on the train is... mmmm hmm.

But topping those two soundtracks is A Fistful of Dynamite (Rod Steiger and James Coburn). Not a great film, but a BRILLIANT soundtrack.

All three films were scored by Ennio Morricone, the greatest film soundtrack composer of all-time. TRIPLE FACT.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Atcherly, the film came out here in 1966.

The version that got to No1 was not the original by Ennio Morricone, but a 'pop' version by the Hugo Montenegro Orchestra - the total chancer.
f*** sake.
How can anyone hope to compete with FACTS like this ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not bothering unless I'm on YOUR team, TLO. Looks like anyone else is just making up the numbers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fist Full of Travellers Cheques - The Comic Strip.

Still very funny after all these years.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
Does Dances With Wolves qualify as a western?

Cos that has to be up there as well....

Does for me!

I'm not into traditional westerns

Dances With Wolves is a quality film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports