Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the greatest WESTERN ever ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched the extended version of The good, The Bad and The Ugly the other night, and I'm not sure if anything can top that. The ending at the cemetary has to be one of the best endings to ANY film, and the supporting cast to Eastwood (Lee van Cleef as Angeleyes and Eli Wallach as Tuco) are just gringo-TASTIC. It also occurred to me that Clint Eastwood is probably the only bloke in the world who can actually look cool in a poncho.

There are a couple of decent modern ones. Tombstone was good (with Val Kilmer doing a brilliant Doc Holliday), but nothing comes close to UGLY does it.....?

....or perhaps you know DIFFERENT ?
???

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
High Noon. FACT

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
The Good the Bad & the Dowie bar none.

*Trivia* The theme choon was UK No. 1 on the day I was born (30/11/68)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
The Unforgiven (the Clint Eastwood version)

closely followed by ....

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Back To The Future Part 3 :clap2:

The Spagetti Westerns often came across as a bit too cartoon like for me.

I'd go for the Searchers, which was America finally admitting the racism on which their nation was built.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I liked She wore a yellow ribbon. John Wayne at his best:bowdown: :bowdown:

and is also where football got the song of the same name.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eddie the Seagull said:
The Good the Bad & the Dowie bar none.

*Trivia* The theme choon was UK No. 1 on the day I was born (30/11/68)
You sure ? The film came out in '66

A little known fact - the main theme is supposed to sound like a braying coyote. You can even hear one in the background of the opening scene.

ah AH ah AH aaaaah
wah wah waaaaahhh

Last edited:

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES. Clint again avenging the murderous "Redlegs" with a backdrop of the American Civil War. Some great one-liners

Poker Western is BIG DEAL AT DODGE CITY starring Henry Fonda. You have to watch it without interruption (when the wifes out)

Violent is Sam Peckinpah's THE WILD BUNCH. The final scene is probably the best shoot-out you'll see in a Western. Don't sit and watch it with your lady, she won't understand the enjoyment of gratuitous violence.

Best Fight scene is a bar-room brawl in Errol Flynn's DODGE CITY.

HIGH NOON with gary Cooper. John Wayne called it Un-American when Cooper threw his sheriff's badge into the dirt.

TOMBSTONE. Ok not a great film but sticks to the truth. Val Kilmer plays a great Doc Holliday.

Also any Clint Eastwood Western, PALE RIDER, HANG EM HIGH, TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARAH, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY TRILOGY, UNFORGIVEN, ETC ETC ETC

Comedy BLAZING SADDLES.

Sorry got to put my anaorak back on now (under my poncho)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here