Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] What’s happened to the Edit fuction?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
You can edit a post within 30 minutes of posting it. This was the same as it was on vBulletin, and what it has always been on here too as far as I can tell.

I've certainly not wittingly changed it.
It's definitely been changed. I was able to update the OP of the F1 2023 thread multiple times through this year (most recently on October 9th), but I now cannot (having just gone to update the season race results table after the triple header).

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You can edit a post within 30 minutes of posting it. This was the same as it was on vBulletin, and what it has always been on here too as far as I can tell.

View attachment 169229

Indeed Which is why everyone can edit their posts, as they've always been able to do.

I often make a post, read it back, realise I've made a mistake, and quickly make the required edit.

Actually, you may be right and it was 15 minutes on vBulletin, not the 30 it is on here currently.
I've been using it to append the team sheet to match day threads for ages but it wasn't there on Saturday. 😞
everton-png.164694
albion-png.164686

Everton v Albion

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue:
Goodison Park
Date: Saturday 4th November 2023
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Scott Ledger
Fourth Official: Stephen Martin
VAR: Michael Oliver
Additional VAR: Nick Hopton

TEAM NEWS

Everton have no fresh injury concerns and Ashley Young, who scored in the midweek Carabao Cup win over Burnley, is available after serving a one-match league ban.

Seamus Coleman is set to step up his comeback from a knee injury by playing for the under-21 side on Saturday.

Tariq Lamptey is fit to return for Brighton but Pervis Estupinan is still sidelined with a thigh problem.

Long-term absentees include Jakub Moder, Solly March and Danny Welbeck.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• The four most recent Premier League meetings were all won by the away team, including 4-1 for Brighton at Goodison Park in January and 5-1 for Everton at Amex Stadium in May.
  • Brighton can earn a third successive victory at Goodison Park; the only team they've beaten in three successive top-flight away games is Wolves.
Everton
  • Everton have won three of their past five league fixtures, as many as they had in their previous 20 attempts.
  • Sean Dyche's side have earned back-to-back 3-0 victories at Goodison Park and won five of their past seven outings in all competitions.
  • They are vying to earn consecutive Premier League wins for the first time in 13 months.
  • Everton have kept a clean sheet in each of their past seven home league victories since beating Crystal Palace 3-2 in May 2022.
  • The Toffees have equalled their club record of 10 Premier League home defeats in a calendar year.
Albion
  • Brighton are winless in four league games (D2, L2). It's their longest run without a victory since Roberto De Zerbi's first five matches in charge in October last year.
  • Their only victory in seven competitive fixtures came at home to Ajax in the Europa League on 26 October.
  • Albion are on a club record run of scoring in 18 successive away league matches.
  • The Seagulls have both scored and conceded in 14 Premier League games in a row. The competition record is Everton's run of 16, ending in January 2013.
  • Evan Ferguson is the first teenager to score at least 10 Premier League goals in a calendar year since Wayne Rooney in 2005.

Roberto De Zerbi's Everton Press Conference

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's definitely been changed. I was able to update the OP of the F1 2023 thread multiple times through this year (most recently on October 9th), but I now cannot (having just gone to update the season race results table after the triple header).
Agreed. I started the Loanee Tracker thread on 29th. July and regularly updated the OP all through August and until the last loanee announcement had been made. That was using the edit function through a full month and more.

Further, on the 2022-23 Loanee Tracker thread I was able to edit the OP in January when Khadra, Connolly and Tolaj moved on loan to a different club, and added in James Furlong's half season loan to Motherwell and Beadle's to Crewe.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Further, on the 2022-23 Loanee Tracker thread I was able to edit the OP in January when Khadra, Connolly and Tolaj moved on loan to a different club, and added in James Furlong's half season loan to Motherwell and Beadle's to Crewe.
In confirmation, I've just noticed that the thread was started on 30th. July 2022 and the OP was last updated on 9th. June 2023. Can I submit this to the Guinness Book of Records for the longest 30 minutes ever?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
From a quick bit of research, users need to have the "edit any post" permission to view post edit histories.

Clearly, allowing everyone to edit every post, regardless of who made that post, would be carnage so I can't turn that on for everyone unless I can find a plugin which does that. Not found one yet, but I'll keep looking!
We don't need to view post edit histories which is not the same as ability to edit every post. You may have misread that?

Your screenshot refers to ability to edit "own posts" which is what we need to revert to how it was. If you turn that on to "unlimited" we’re back to where we were. Please? No plug-in needed.Used to be that you could edit for a while (half an hour or so?) without it being flagged up, then after that you could edit but a message was appended to the post to alert readers that an edit had taken place, which should help assuage any fears about mischievous alterations.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
All this talk of editing and no-one has edited the thread title. If this is not going to happen, can someone please explain what a fuction is and whether I should want more or less of them? Thanks

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The good news is, if it turns out you're wrong and you have had an edit button the whole time, when you find it you'll be able to change all these posts to make it appear you knew where it was all along.
I think we’ve established that we have had a permanent edit button until very recently.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think we’ve established that we have had a permanent edit button until very recently.
I don't think I used to have one. I remember it being time limited as described by others previously in the thread.
Edit: It's like the memory thread has come alive.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I don't think I used to have one. I remember it being time limited as described by others previously in the thread.
Edit: It's like the memory thread has come alive.
I certainly did. As mentioned by a PP, I also correct minor textual errors in my posts whenever I see them (I’ve worked as a proofreader if that’s any explanation) and have made corrections to posts that were weeks old.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We don't need to view post edit histories which is not the same as ability to edit every post. You may have misread that?

Your screenshot refers to ability to edit "own posts" which is what we need to revert to how it was. If you turn that on to "unlimited" we’re back to where we were. Please? No plug-in needed.Used to be that you could edit for a while (half an hour or so?) without it being flagged up, then after that you could edit but a message was appended to the post to alert readers that an edit had taken place, which should help assuage any fears about mischievous alterations.
That post is ridiculously aggressive.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

View attachment 169229
Sorry Bozza, but it definitely has changed. Having started the Loanee Tracker threads, I've been able to update the OP all through the season so that people can see all the loanees on page 1 without having to go through the whole thread for the latest position. Now I can't. Audax has had a similar experience with his formula 1 thread, and Dick Head is no longer able to append the team sheet to his matchday OPs.
Looking at your screenshot, please can you just flip that tick for editing own posts (not all posts!) over to 'unlimited'?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
That post is ridiculously aggressive.
Is it? I’m genuinely mortified. It was absolutely not intended that way. Was trying to be helpful as it looked like you might have misunderstood the 'view post edit history' as being 'edit any post'. Sorry if it was read differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here