Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] What’s happened to the Edit fuction?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Am I going nuys? I used to be able to revisit a post and correct embarrassing typos, or add an update. But I no longer see this option. What's happened?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.....yes, there it is. You have to click on those three dots next to where it says "Report" to see it....

20231105_034536.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why on earth should correcting typos be a 'premium' feature? Benefits everyone else reading your post, not so much you :shrug:
If it was just used to correct typos you’d have a point, but it’s been used by people in the past to make wholesale changes to posts after they’ve been quoted / replied to, including adding additional paragraphs.

I’m not sure why the unlimited edit is part of the premium add on - presumably it’s a default but you’d have to ask Bozza. However, edits were time limited on the old style board to around 15 minutes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If it was just used to correct typos you’d have a point, but it’s been used by people in the past to make wholesale changes to posts after they’ve been quoted / replied to, including adding additional paragraphs.

I’m not sure why the unlimited edit is part of the premium add on - presumably it’s a default but you’d have to ask Bozza. However, edits were time limited on the old style board to around 15 minutes.
The unlimited editing feature is probably too open to abuse imo.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I believe the ability to edit a post after 15(?) minutes is now a premium feature

You can edit a post within 30 minutes of posting it. This was the same as it was on vBulletin, and what it has always been on here too as far as I can tell.

I've certainly not wittingly changed it.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 07.53.30.png

Why on earth should correcting typos be a 'premium' feature? Benefits everyone else reading your post, not so much you :shrug:
Indeed Which is why everyone can edit their posts, as they've always been able to do.

I often make a post, read it back, realise I've made a mistake, and quickly make the required edit.

Actually, you may be right and it was 15 minutes on vBulletin, not the 30 it is on here currently.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The unlimited editing feature is probably too open to abuse imo.
There's no evidence I've seen of that.

I have the ability to view post history where edits have been made. I didn't know that wasn't available to everyone - I'll see if I can turn that on.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I have the ability to view post history where edits have been made. I didn't know that wasn't available to everyone - I'll see if I can turn that on.
I am glad everyone is behaving. Maybe I'm too cynical but I wouldn't have been surprised if people altered comments on political threads.

Thanks though for the great job you are doing for NSC.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Oh fair enough, not sure why I'm jumping in here as i don't really care :p

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

From a quick bit of research, users need to have the "edit any post" permission to view post edit histories.

Clearly, allowing everyone to edit every post, regardless of who made that post, would be carnage so I can't turn that on for everyone unless I can find a plugin which does that. Not found one yet, but I'll keep looking!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It was oddly gone for a bit on the weekend, but has since returned. Not sure what went on there...gremlins in the machine...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh fair enough, not sure why I'm jumping in here as i don't really care :p
No worries. While I feel 'duty bound to protect the honour of the board' in reality most edits now are to correct typos or add a small additional amount of detail. The edit post used to be abused in the Bear Pit but it's been much better recently and used for what it should be. And the Bear Pit has gone.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You can edit a post within 30 minutes of posting it. This was the same as it was on vBulletin, and what it has always been on here too as far as I can tell.

I've certainly not wittingly changed it.

View attachment 169229

Indeed Which is why everyone can edit their posts, as they've always been able to do.

I often make a post, read it back, realise I've made a mistake, and quickly make the required edit.

Actually, you may be right and it was 15 minutes on vBulletin, not the 30 it is on here currently.
I often only spot a typo when I get a reply or a like, and being a bit if a pedant I always went in and corrected it - and the post I was correcting was sometimes way more than 30 minutes old. It's definitely changed, since the supporter scheme came in.

Edit: Having thought about it, and checked, it was listed as one of the benefits of becoming an NSC supporter ................

"- Edit your posts any time

Drunken typo annoying you the morning after a big night? You can change it."

................. so maybe not available for the rest of us now?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here