Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What'll be next for the Amex Multiplex?

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
What Brighton really needs is some out of town shopping facilities. The city centre is crowded, impossible to park in and the shops are simply not good enough for a destination of Brighton's magnitude. How about a mini Bluewater opposite the stadium?

To be honest, our only out of town leisure park facility is the Marina, and that's a pretty shabby offering that's not actually that out of town.

There probably is actually room to have a large scale entertainment complex featuring multiplex cinema, bowling alleys, chain restaurants and the like. It's just whether we'd ever be able to get it off the ground without opposition derailing it.

I know traffic can be an issue BUT with the majority of activity at such parks being evenings and weekends the impact shouldn't be too bad, outside of match days anyway.

In fact, don't the marina owners desperately want to completely redevelop the place? Could a new leisure park at Falmer provide somewhere for all the current Marina businesses to go while their current facilities are torn down?

Huge area in hove is getting redeveloped by Hove park (the industrial estate, all the way down to them horrid flats and all the way along to the bus station) there's going to be a shopping centre new flats a cinema and underground parking + more bits im sure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Huge area in hove is getting redeveloped by Hove park (the industrial estate, all the way down to them horrid flats and all the way along to the bus station) there's going to be a shopping centre new flats a cinema and underground parking + more bits im sure.

I'm not sure that is actually happening is it? It was all based on having a huge John Lewis as the flagship store. Unfortnately the developers hadn't actually discussed that with, um, John Lewis.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Even if something like that does happen, it's only going to improve Hove. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it'll be great news for Hove. But there is no way that any development in an area as residential as that will tick the boxes I'm talking about. How do so many cities in this country have their own out-of-town shopping complex, yet we have nothing? Town centres are a thing of the past, and Brighton needs to get used to it.

Other towns, mostly inland, have areas of industrial land around their edges, ripe for development. Brighton, being as it is sandwiched bewteen the sea and the downs, has no such sites. And its hardly unique to Brighton. Looking in this direction from Brighton, neither Portsmouth, nor Southampton have out of town developments of that kind either.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Even if something like that does happen, it's only going to improve Hove. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it'll be great news for Hove. But there is no way that any development in an area as residential as that will tick the boxes I'm talking about. How do so many cities in this country have their own out-of-town shopping complex, yet we have nothing? Town centres are a thing of the past, and Brighton needs to get used to it.

Brighton bucks that trend by having alternatives to the concept of out-of-town shopping centres, and they're very popular.

You might not like it, by tens of thousands every week do.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think a Whore-house would be nice, and a real money spinner.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
It would be good to extend Brighton eastwards so that Falmer village becomes just an area of Brighton. The city's bursting at the seams and people are trying to cram development into already over-developed areas. An out-of-town shopping complex would be brilliant and would help reduce traffic in the city centre. Plus a huge Park 'n' Ride site linked to the new bus lane in Lewes Road.

Your'e right, if the city is to expand with the housing it desperately needs the greenfield sites within the city boundaries will have to be built on. If Bevendean, Patcham and all the other estates weren't allowed to be built we would have no city as such. Leisure facilities are pretty woeful here also, why with the length of our seafront have we got no waterpark, no Ice Arena, it could be so much better. You just need to stand by the A23 coming into Brighton at the weekends to see how popular the place is. If the council said if you want these facilities it will cost extra £5 a month on your council tax then I would willingly pay it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If the council said if you want these facilities it will cost extra £5 a month on your council tax then I would willingly pay it.

If we got an ice rink and a decent swimming pool, so would I. And Brovion's right, we're not going to get any development in the National Park so let's make sure we use all the land up to it. There are some big chunks that could be developed still

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
5000 seat Ice rink which would host Ice Hockey and general skating.
3000 seat 50 metre, 8 lane swimming pool with diving pool.
Snow-dome with separate ski and board areas. (This maybe a facility to far.) Better in Wild Park.
All designed by proper Architects, not the interns and Job Opportunities people that have been used in the passed to design buildings in Brighton. ( The Amex is not included in this criticism of course.)
Finally, a trip to Sheffield for all Councillors and Professional Staff to research how it's done. With Park and Ride and a comprehensive Bus and Tram service.
Sorted. :thumbsup:

TBH I am surprised this hasn't already been considered.
Now the Albion finally have a new home, surely its time the Brighton Tigers got one too & where better place to put it than the AMEX'PLEX

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I presume you're referring to the Laines, which is a unique attraction and something to be proud of I agree. But it's not catering for anywhere near enough people in relation to the size of the city.

Beyond that, I'm struggling to think of a single other appealing alternative shopping destination in Brighton.

I'm not sure that an out-of-town shopping centre is all that appealing either.

Now they are drab.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Other towns, mostly inland, have areas of industrial land around their edges, ripe for development. Brighton, being as it is sandwiched bewteen the sea and the downs, has no such sites. And its hardly unique to Brighton. Looking in this direction from Brighton, neither Portsmouth, nor Southampton have out of town developments of that kind either.

Both Southampton and Portsmouth do have developments like this though. They're just not that out of town.

Southampton has that leisure park where the cinemas are, Ocean Village, and Portsmouth has Gunwharf Quays.

A lot easier to build in those places because of all the brownbelt land. These cities are port cities so have a lot of industrial sites, many of which are more valuable now as leisure, shopping and housing developments. By contrast Brighton is a seaside town for tourists, so we don't have anywhere near as much big industrial space that we can now build over

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
In my village they knocked down a CIDER FACTORY to build shops and houses. We got lots of houses - toy town size and very popular. When the shops were built we got 3 empty units, a Coop (goood with foood), a chippie, - and my choice for the Amex supersite - a Barnardos charity shop. { We already had a supermarket and a chippie }

We all know how charitable we are at the Amex

Was that a chicken coop ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here