Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Whatever Has Happened to Imperial Arcade?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember meeting Darth Vader in Gamleys when Return Of The Jedi came out. Also being very nervous while we were queuing up. Used to love it in the there, the top floor was always the best floor. Then straight over to Beaties (always more expensive though), there used to be several great toy shops in the area, Zodiac along by Argos, the one I can never remember, black sign with green writing where Card Factory is now. Even the toy department at London Road CO-OP, many happy nostalgic memories.
The toy department in the Co-op had an AWESOME Subbuteo area. My parents could leave me there why they went to other departments.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That’s unfair. If we’re reminiscing about our time as kids, it was allowed to be his favourite. At that time!
I am a grumpy, embittered old man who can still remember them having Albion gingerbread men in their shop windows at the very time they were doing their damndest to help destroy the club. :angry:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The toy department in the Co-op had an AWESOME Subbuteo area. My parents could leave me there why they went to other departments.
I sometimes wonder what happened to some of the 'characters' who worked in the Co-op department store when it closed. I seem to recall they were offered jobs in other Co-op shops but got the impression that they probably would not have fitted in.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I sometimes wonder what happened to some of the 'characters' who worked in the Co-op department store when it closed. I seem to recall they were offered jobs in other Co-op shops but got the impression that they probably would not have fitted in.
I worked for the Co-op for 8 years from not long after school. It was an interesting organisation. I was based at London Road for a while in the offices. Even then it was surviving on loyalty.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Loved Gamley’s as a kid in the 70’s …. heaven.

Imperial Arcade’s been rundown for decades, not on a natural pedestrian route, there’s little need to visit.
Well it sort of is in a way, if you are going shopping and alight from one of the many buses that terminate at the Dyke Road stop, and want to walk to Churchill Square or the Western Road, you pass through Imperial Arcade.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I loved Gamleys. And my Mum bought me a Timex weatch from a small shop near the Western Road end (I think it was). Always seemed a bit exciting in there.
I always remember Gamleys having a whole section of the shop stacked high with Subbuteo. Wonderful place. Together with Beatties across the road and the Uncle Sams with the spiral staircase by the Clock Tower, these formed The Golden Triangle for Saturday morning shopping with kids in Brighton town in the Eighties

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great news. Wouldn't want to live in a flat there though, slap bang in the middle of the busiest part of town, luxury or not!
"Brighton-based Moretons Investments announced yesterday that it acquired the site last year and will look to transform it back to its former glory."

Et tu, Brute? Without the et.... you OK Brutus, hun?

One gives you ten (you can guess the rest).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Gamleys and Beatties were places of dreams as a child. Anyone remember the Gamleys on Church Road too. Opposite Hove Town Hall?

There was once an entrance to M&S through the arcade too.
Remember spending all my birthday money on a bunch of star wars gear in there!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gamleys and Beatties were places of dreams as a child. Anyone remember the Gamleys on Church Road too. Opposite Hove Town Hall?

There was once an entrance to M&S through the arcade too.

Just Gamley’s in my era, the 70’s. Loved the place, can still remember the farm and zoo set ups. We bought a wooden toboggan there just as a series of snowless winters came to Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here