Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Whatever Has Happened to Imperial Arcade?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes. Imperial Arcade is horrendous currently.

The commercial landlord must be delighted with high rent level he's set and presumably now he's getting not a penny. No shortage of pigeon shit to clear up though

The trouble is that now, who would be the first to move back in? They need to have a next to nothing rent for a couple of years to entice some small businesses and like other landlord, start charging some realistic rent in the longer term.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I loved Gamleys. And my Mum bought me a Timex weatch from a small shop near the Western Road end (I think it was). Always seemed a bit exciting in there.
It's amazing I haven't thought about Gamleys for years, but now all the memories flooding back of being taken there about November time to see what toys and games I was interested in, and then magically waking up at Christmas to find (some of ) them been left by Santa.
It took years to work out I needed to keep going over to the expensive toys!

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I remember meeting Darth Vader in Gamleys when Return Of The Jedi came out. Also being very nervous while we were queuing up. Used to love it in the there, the top floor was always the best floor. Then straight over to Beaties (always more expensive though), there used to be several great toy shops in the area, Zodiac along by Argos, the one I can never remember, black sign with green writing where Card Factory is now. Even the toy department at London Road CO-OP, many happy nostalgic memories.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Gamleys - oh YES!

Must of bought 100's of Airfix models from there during the 1970s
I must have been modelling at the same time as you, most of mine came from a store called Johnson & Clark's in Staines, my old home town.

Long gone now though . . . Johnson & Clark's not Staines lol.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Think the idea of a food hall has legs along with a signature store or stores that people have to go to for example Apple Shop,IKEA.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
AMS-7203-52-resized-1024x757.jpg

4321163_ad8f06ae.jpg

It is not an appealing place to have a business. It's outdated and almost decrepit. It has low visibility (eg. buses) so is not appealing for the big names, and a relatively low amount of pedestrians going through it now compared to the high street.

The only way it can become successful again is if it is modernised or restored to its former glory, to gain a reputation for niche or unique businesses like we have in the laines, by making it a desirable place to have a business.

Can't see any of that happening any time soon, so it is likely to remain a rain proof short cut for most of us.
Those concrete thing on either side are simply vile.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Internet and business in the city centre at probably two of the main reasons...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I must have been modelling at the same time as you, most of mine came from a store called Johnson & Clark's in Staines, my old home town.

Long gone now though . . . Johnson & Clark's not Staines lol.
Modelling, you say? To me, that means fluttering your eyelids at a camera while wearing tiny pants.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Did there used to be a place called the Condom Shop in there back in the late 70s/early 80s?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Was a magical place when I was a kid, I'd drag mum out of Marks's side door and straight in to Gamleys.....there was also a very sophisticated looking ladies hairdressers half way down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here