Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Whatever Has Happened to Imperial Arcade?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In such a sorry state now, l used to enjoy walking through it after getting off my bus at Churchill Square, but nowadays it is totally devoid of retail units with all the shops boarded up.

Once home to my fave bakers in Brighton, Forfar's, and a good value cafe called the Arcadia, amongst several others. Now it just seems to be home to beggars, drunks, and the homeless.

Such a shame.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
it's been in a sad state of decline for many, many years

Think other than Starbucks at the entrance it's only the chap who sells mobile phone cases and the bureau de change that's left

I remember it being quite vibrant when I was younger

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
In such a sorry state now, l used to enjoy walking through it after getting off my bus at Churchill Square, but nowadays it is totally devoid of retail units with all the shops boarded up.

Once home to my fave bakers in Brighton, Forfar's, and a good value cafe called the Arcadia, amongst several others. Now it just seems to be home to beggars, drunks, and the homeless.

Such a shame.

Forfars moved out years ago, long before covid. Arcadia shut during covid lockdowns I think. It's hard times for small independent retailers these days. Most high streets just seem to be coffee shops, bookies and charity shops these days.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
AMS-7203-52-resized-1024x757.jpg

4321163_ad8f06ae.jpg

It is not an appealing place to have a business. It's outdated and almost decrepit. It has low visibility (eg. buses) so is not appealing for the big names, and a relatively low amount of pedestrians going through it now compared to the high street.

The only way it can become successful again is if it is modernised or restored to its former glory, to gain a reputation for niche or unique businesses like we have in the laines, by making it a desirable place to have a business.

Can't see any of that happening any time soon, so it is likely to remain a rain proof short cut for most of us.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
what to do with it though? I imagine the rents are high
Forfars moved out years ago, long before covid. Arcadia shut during covid lockdowns I think. It's hard times for small independent retailers these days. Most high streets just seem to be coffee shops, bookies and charity shops these days.
Arcadia lasted a bit beyond lockdowns as I went there fairly recently but it was generally dead- I imagine Covid did an absolute number on them and they never fully recovered

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I used to enjoy going into Gamleys through the arcade, swooning over the toys and then out through the top entrance, up Dyke Road and home..
I also loved Gamley's, what a toy shop, and the yearly visit to Santa was eagerly anticipated too. The picture a few posts down shows a Starbucks - I still remember that as Timothy, Whites & Taylor, later swallowed up by Boots.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
AMS-7203-52-resized-1024x757.jpg

4321163_ad8f06ae.jpg

It is not an appealing place to have a business. It's outdated and almost decrepit. It has low visibility (eg. buses) so is not appealing for the big names, and a relatively low amount of pedestrians going through it now compared to the high street.

The only way it can become successful again is if it is modernised or restored to its former glory, to gain a reputation for niche or unique businesses like we have in the laines, by making it a desirable place to have a business.

Can't see any of that happening any time soon, so it is likely to remain a rain proof short cut for most of us.

the answer is, as you say, niche small businesses but they'd need to be financially incentivised to move in there for all the reasons you say- poor footfall and high rents aren't a particularly appealing proposition

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I had a pistol pulled on me in there, many moons ago.
We were detaining a guy for shoplifting and he had also robbed a jewellery shop that day with the gun.
It was quite scary.
Took ages for armed response to arrive because they were all tucked up with the political conference at the BC.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I woud go there reguarly until about 2021 when visitimg my mum at weekends, before she became ill and passed away in 2022. She liked going to the cafe in there. Has that gone as well?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I used to enjoy going into Gamleys through the arcade, swooning over the toys and then out through the top entrance, up Dyke Road and home..
And then on to Beatties. With an Uncle Sam's before or after. I can vaguely remember going in a shoe shop in the arcade, but nothing else memorable. It would be a massively popular food hall on the continent.

Stumpy Tim

Arcadia lasted a bit beyond lockdowns as I went there fairly recently but it was generally dead- I imagine Covid did an absolute number on them and they never fully recovered
Indeed. I used to love the cheese and onion toastie they did. The good news is that the owners actually moved to North Street and opened Lavash - a middle eastern place next door to Burger King.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
And then on to Beatties. With an Uncle Sam's before or after. I can vaguely remember going in a shoe shop in the arcade, but nothing else memorable. It would be a massively popular food hall on the continent.
you might be onto something with the food hall idea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here