Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What would you teach someone from abroad about British Culture?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Hi all. If you follow the "Russia invades Ukraine" thread at all, you will know that my wife and I are going to Ukraine on the 20th to volunteering in an orphanage for a week. The orphanage is for 14-18 year olds and they live and study in a college learning different trades and skills. There are 24 females and 53 males. One of the things that they have suggested we might be able to do for them is to teach the young adults something about British culture. Their level of speaking English is quite low. My wife does speak Ukrainian as well as English. So I am looking for ideas and any pointers to online resources to highlight the best that this sceptred Isle has to offer. Anyone that has worked as an ESOL teacher? I will be taking a BHAFC shirt with me!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Youve all been really amazing on here and I cant thank you enough for your generosity.
One last ask!
I know powerbanks are something they desperately need. Ive already donated 22, my Christmas peresents from my family this year, but am looking to take another 50 so that they can all have one.
If anyone is able to donate at all it would be hugely appreciated by them.

Just tried, but it came up with my address as delivery address. Which I guess is not the desired end result.

Oh, and if it can be made to work, Amazon ordering via NSC will benefit the board also

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Just tried, but it came up with my address as delivery address. Which I guess is not the desired end result.

Oh, and if it can be made to work, Amazon ordering via NSC will benefit the board also
Oh.Ok! Ill message my address. That would be amazing. I always shop through the NSC link on Amazon, but I think when you copy a list it doesnt keep that.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Hi all. If you follow the "Russia invades Ukraine" thread at all, you will know that my wife and I are going to Ukraine on the 20th to volunteering in an orphanage for a week. The orphanage is for 14-18 year olds and they live and study in a college learning different trades and skills. There are 24 females and 53 males. One of the things that they have suggested we might be able to do for them is to teach the young adults something about British culture. Their level of speaking English is quite low. My wife does speak Ukrainian as well as English. So I am looking for ideas and any pointers to online resources to highlight the best that this sceptred Isle has to offer. Anyone that has worked as an ESOL teacher? I will be taking a BHAFC shirt with me

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh.Ok! Ill message my address. That would be amazing. I always shop through the NSC link on Amazon, but I think when you copy a list it doesnt keep that.
and me please.

Is there not a 'neutral' address, work or something, you could add here?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I've been involved in English language teaching most of my working life. Here are a few thoughts.

With six of you and 77 of them, you could split them into groups of 12 or 13 to increase individual involvement and interaction. Suggest find out what they are interested in and what they would like to know. You can give them a lot of exposure to natural spoken English in a week. Just make sure you speak naturally (not robotic) whilst avoiding using uncommon/advanced vocabulary and grammar to help them understand you without too many problems. Try to get them talking as much as possible. If they make a lot of mistakes, that's OK. Perhaps try to help them with some of the biggest pronunciation problems they may have.

The British Council website may contain useful information about British culture and also English exercises, but TBH, these people look more likely to benefit from the human touch and the immersion you can provide than exercises from websites.

DM me if you like or put them on here if you have questions, and good luck. What a fantastic thing to be doing!

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
jaffa cakes are cakes. as informed from the name.

the English culture this highlights is the ability to debate this for decades, even with court cases.
These are a good cake.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Ales, bitters and if we really must use the term Craft Beers are all best served warm to improve their flavour.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I worked with some Polish people on a European Project. We gave them a tour of recycling sites in the South East, and they were very keen to know where Stonehenge was, how the stones were moved what it's purpose was etc . Could be worth mentioning in case the Ukrainians know about Stonehenge too?

There was also an amusing incident whilst drinking tea. I poured milk into my cuppa and a couple of the young Polish women giggled. Apparently in Poland they put milk into babies tea to help them get used to it! Proper men take tea black and strong. I expect its similar in Ukraine? Maybe ask them and explain the English custom of tea in a pot and milk in first to stop the fine china from cracking?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I've been involved in English language teaching most of my working life. Here are a few thoughts.

With six of you and 77 of them, you could split them into groups of 12 or 13 to increase individual involvement and interaction. Suggest find out what they are interested in and what they would like to know. You can give them a lot of exposure to natural spoken English in a week. Just make sure you speak naturally (not robotic) whilst avoiding using uncommon/advanced vocabulary and grammar to help them understand you without too many problems. Try to get them talking as much as possible. If they make a lot of mistakes, that's OK. Perhaps try to help them with some of the biggest pronunciation problems they may have.

The British Council website may contain useful information about British culture and also English exercises, but TBH, these people look more likely to benefit from the human touch and the immersion you can provide than exercises from websites.

DM me if you like or put them on here if you have questions, and good luck. What a fantastic thing to be doing!
Thanks for that reply. Yes. They are going to be split in to groups. My wife and I will be taking one group. As shes also a Ukrainian speaker that will be great! The "quizzes" that I have intended to do with them, will be simple and really just a way to get them interacting with us. Im also taking the Uno card game and some other stuff. Theyve been through a lot and, as you rightly say, human interaction is the most important thing for them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brits prefer chubby girls who are bang-up-for-it as opposed to girls with strange shaped heads.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I worked with some Polish people on a European Project. We gave them a tour of recycling sites in the South East, and they were very keen to know where Stonehenge was, how the stones were moved what it's purpose was etc . Could be worth mentioning in case the Ukrainians know about Stonehenge too?

There was also an amusing incident whilst drinking tea. I poured milk into my cuppa and a couple of the young Polish women giggled. Apparently in Poland they put milk into babies tea to help them get used to it! Proper men take tea black and strong. I expect its similar in Ukraine? Maybe ask them and explain the English custom of tea in a pot and milk in first to stop the fine china from cracking?
Nothing to do with the china cracking. It's about strength and flavour of the tea. People who put the tea in first - then the milk
are just plain weirdos.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I assume so. Ill have some in my luggage for sure.
I was looking at things like refreshers and love hearts. Is 3kg to heavy? Uno is a good shout, other card games like beat your neighbour or sevens might be good. Victoria sponge might be a good thing to cook. Pot Noodles might be a good thing to demonstrate about teenagers lunch eating habits & beans on toast & marmite.
Re the music you don't have to 'teach' them about it, just play it while they're doing something like having dinner. You can go through eras from The Beatles, Sex Pistols, Wham, Rave Music, Take That, Fatboy Slim (obviously), up to whatever is in the charts now.
Power bank ordered, I can't decide whether your Amazon delivery guy is going to love you for it all being in one place or just wonder what on earth is being delivered. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here