Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What would you teach someone from abroad about British Culture?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Hi all. If you follow the "Russia invades Ukraine" thread at all, you will know that my wife and I are going to Ukraine on the 20th to volunteering in an orphanage for a week. The orphanage is for 14-18 year olds and they live and study in a college learning different trades and skills. There are 24 females and 53 males. One of the things that they have suggested we might be able to do for them is to teach the young adults something about British culture. Their level of speaking English is quite low. My wife does speak Ukrainian as well as English. So I am looking for ideas and any pointers to online resources to highlight the best that this sceptred Isle has to offer. Anyone that has worked as an ESOL teacher? I will be taking a BHAFC shirt with me!

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
That reminds me of a situation years ago in a pub. A colleague of mine was at the bar, patiently waiting to get served when “Ted” pushed in. My colleague said that Ted shouldn’t queue jump and Ted said “You better come outside” to which my colleague said “You better have one of these” “Whack” and Ted was on his way.
Poor Ted.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Generally we’re pretty tolerant of different races cultures and creeds. There are notable exceptions, in particular of course the French who get lots of UK people excited ( though I don’t know why, as I find them good oeufs generally - though mainly in the north), Palace fans and of course Russians ( not all of them, just the leadership who mislead the rest and carry out atrocities in the name of self defence).

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Good thread.

What is it to be English? What is different in England from Ukraine?

Football, tea, queuing, are all there. But what else? Fish and chips (might be tricky in central Ukraine), the royal family, driving on the left, going up to the bar to order drinks.

Also regional accents, local phrases and words, such as ones local to you - give back word, slutch, ginnel, have yer owt moist?. (My wife comes from Accrington).

Best of luck and enjoy the experience!

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Good thread.

What is it to be English? What is different in England from Ukraine?

Football, tea, queuing, are all there. But what else? Fish and chips (might be tricky in central Ukraine), the royal family, driving on the left, going up to the bar to order drinks.

Also regional accents, local phrases and words, such as ones local to you - give back word, slutch, ginnel, have yer owt moist?. (My wife comes from Accrington).

Best of luck and enjoy the experience!
Thanks. Differences is a good one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t necessarily agree with all of the below, but a lot of people do.

Tea, Branston Pickle (I know, I’m obsessed), Greggs, Fawlty Towers (NOT Monty Python or Mr. Bean, which the Yanks have commandeered), full English breakfast, fish and chips, football, queuing, bad teeth (only going to get worse in future generations, thanks Tories)
Rubbish. My children's and grandchildren's teeth are far healthier than mine ever have been, even though (or perhaps because) I've had NHS dentistry all my life. Very good now, but believe me, for a child in the 50s and 60s it was brutal - for a start, dentists didn't get paid for a child's check up, but they did get paid for fillings; guess what? Some of us had a lot of fillings.
The real game changer was the addition of fluoride to the water supply (and I've no idea whether that was done by a Tory or Labour government - whichever it was, they got it spot on correct).

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Rubbish. My children's and grandchildren's teeth are far healthier than mine ever have been, even though (or perhaps because) I've had NHS dentistry all my life. Very good now, but believe me, for a child in the 50s and 60s it was brutal - for a start, dentists didn't get paid for a child's check up, but they did get paid for fillings; guess what? Some of us had a lot of fillings.
The real game changer was the addition of fluoride to the water supply (and I've no idea whether that was done by a Tory or Labour government - whichever it was, they got it spot on correct).
I am referring to the changes in NHS dentist funding, which has left a lot of people without basic affordable dental care. Obviously due to the nature of dental treatment, the signs won’t show immediately, but in the next generation where access to an NHS dentist will be even more uncommon.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I am referring to the changes in NHS dentist funding, which has left a lot of people without basic affordable dental care. Obviously due to the nature of dental treatment, the signs won’t show immediately, but in the next generation where access to an NHS dentist will be even more uncommon.
That may not be giving them the best impression of the UK.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I don’t necessarily agree with all of the below, but a lot of people do.

Tea, Branston Pickle (I know, I’m obsessed), Greggs, Fawlty Towers (NOT Monty Python or Mr. Bean, which the Yanks have commandeered), full English breakfast, fish and chips, football, queuing, bad teeth (only going to get worse in future generations, thanks Tories)
Gah! You nearly made it but just couldn’t resist!

My answer? There’s no such thing as British culture. We’re too pluralistic.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
That reminds me of a situation years ago in a pub. A colleague of mine was at the bar, patiently waiting to get served when “Ted” pushed in. My colleague said that Ted shouldn’t queue jump and Ted said “You better come outside” to which my colleague said “You better have one of these” “Whack” and Ted was on his way.
I shouldn’t laugh… but I did. :D

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Love self-deprecating humour. Just wish I was better at it.
Or Brits not being very competitive. I'm always the first to say that.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Definitely going to take a large map of the UK and discuss the different areas and Capital cities etc. Going to do something on Kings and Queens too and I need to get my head round how to bring music into the classroom without just sitting there playing music.

There are 6 of us going and we have already sent a pick-up over full of warm clothing, toiletries and powerbanks. We are also taking 20Kg of luggae each which will have more stuff. Id really like to take over some more powerbanks so if anyone feels like they would like to donate to the trip the link is below.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi all. If you follow the "Russia invades Ukraine" thread at all, you will know that my wife and I are going to Ukraine on the 20th to volunteering in an orphanage for a week. The orphanage is for 14-18 year olds and they live and study in a college learning different trades and skills. There are 24 females and 53 males. One of the things that they have suggested we might be able to do for them is to teach the young adults something about British culture. Their level of speaking English is quite low. My wife does speak Ukrainian as well as English. So I am looking for ideas and any pointers to online resources to highlight the best that this sceptred Isle has to offer. Anyone that has worked as an ESOL teacher? I will be taking a BHAFC shirt with me!
Well done. You have my admiration and respect.

Look at this

and play them this

and this

and this

and this

They will either get it. Something. Or not :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here