Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What would you teach someone from abroad about British Culture?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Hi all. If you follow the "Russia invades Ukraine" thread at all, you will know that my wife and I are going to Ukraine on the 20th to volunteering in an orphanage for a week. The orphanage is for 14-18 year olds and they live and study in a college learning different trades and skills. There are 24 females and 53 males. One of the things that they have suggested we might be able to do for them is to teach the young adults something about British culture. Their level of speaking English is quite low. My wife does speak Ukrainian as well as English. So I am looking for ideas and any pointers to online resources to highlight the best that this sceptred Isle has to offer. Anyone that has worked as an ESOL teacher? I will be taking a BHAFC shirt with me!

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
A couple of parcels arrived today. Im blown away by your generosity and this one did make me laugh.

IMG_6884.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another power pack has just been ordered. Respect to you and the missus for making this trip.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Ive made a little football quiz for the students. Printed off pictures of Ukrainian players that have played in the Uk. Plus one curveball..
5 current players, 4 who previously played and our very own RDZ.
How many do you all know? And what clubs do they play for?

IMG_6888.jpg
IMG_6889.jpg
IMG_6890.jpg

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Got back in the early hours of sunday morning. Pretty intense week, a bit of an emotional rollercoaster with some incredibly lovely and appreciative people. Flew to Rzeszow in Poland then a 9 hour overland trip, crossing the border at around 3 in the morning. Great welcome and a concert held in our "honour". Lots of donations for the children for which they were all grateful, especially the powerbanks and toiletries, partly funded by the wonderful people of NSC. 5 air alarms which meant a few hours spent with the kids underground, singing and playing Uno. Did a quiz on English football and the Ukrainians that have played or are stil playing in England. Played Volleyball with some of them, my 58yo knees didnt thank me for that. Taught them to cook apple crumble and was then treated to an amazing tea party with the students. Another cultural quiz about the Uk, a tour of the college, taken to watch the Philharmonic Orchestra one night and pretty much treated like royalty. One of the students said that others had visited before but no one had actually interacted with the students before. Other trips and projects with them will be discussed but one of the things I am keen to work on is getting them an outdoor sports area. Currently in disrepair and in need of a new all weather covering. Ive attached some images and if anyone has questions Ill answer when I can. Thanks all.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 14.33.04.jpeg
9.jpg
25.jpg
12.jpg
19.jpg

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How to sit around a pool bar in full sun with no hat or sun cream on drinking beer at 10;:30 in the morning with a huge belly, northern accent and loads of tats of England flags and a football badge.

Archetype Brit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here