Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would you do without the albion?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Il start the ball rolling at i would follow Ipswich as i had a boyhood crush on them when I was abt 5 or 6 before they were good.
Interesting question. Had the Albion never existed I may have stuck with my schoolboy crush (*cough* Leeds *cough*), but more likely than not, after moving to Kent in 89, after many years with football not at the front of my mind, I may have drifted towards Gillingham. Or maybe taken up with my dad's team. Millwall.

Luckily however . . . . . :lolol:

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
Little different.

Football’s low on my list of interests, the Albion are in my heart but it’s far less than when I was a kid.
I can only imagine what our younger fans are experiencing currently when I used to get ecstatic about a win over Wrexham or Crewe back in the Goldstone days. The passion/frustration never leaves you but certainly dilutes somewhat as the decades roll on, in my experience anyway.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I would have supported Torquay United. As a little kid growing up in Devon in the 80s I supported Liverpool for a bit and my Brighton supporting dad said I may never go to Liverpool so either Brighton like him or Torquay as local side. I went for Brighton but still watched quite a bit of Torquay - in fact 1994/95 season I don’t think I missed a home match. Darren Moore was coming through as a kid.

Now I live in the midlands so only get to a few Brighton matches a season and hope for local cup draw (Stoke tickets arrived earlier).

To someone who said you don’t get the same buzz at non-league. I have mates playing in national league north and I took my kids there from a young age and they fell in love with it. I guess drawing Gillingham in a cup match and winning in extra time and then being mascot for the second round match away at Blackpool helped with that though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's almost impossible to answer. If we grow up interested in football, then we're almost certainly going to get hooked one way or another. Whether it's watching Liverpool win the first FA Cup you watched on telly, or the first European Cup, making you a lifelong fan - or whether it be the first (proper) live game you get taken to when a youngster - there will be something that then turns you into following one team or another.

I was lucky in being able to bike / train / bus to the Goldstone - so it was always going to be the Albion for me.

Although, as you may have guessed, my first experiences were in watching Liverpool on TV (winning). So, I think it's the live football that gives you the addiction.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Probably ended up being a plastic Man Utd fan like several of my mates at school were

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would continue to enjoy it when the clubs I don’t like lose or hit rough times. The list of clubs is quite long, some for obscure reasons, eg I’ve never like Everton cos someone I know likes them!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would have supported Torquay United. As a little kid growing up in Devon in the 80s I supported Liverpool for a bit and my Brighton supporting dad said I may never go to Liverpool so either Brighton like him or Torquay as local side. I went for Brighton but still watched quite a bit of Torquay - in fact 1994/95 season I don’t think I missed a home match. Darren Moore was coming through as a kid.

Now I live in the midlands so only get to a few Brighton matches a season and hope for local cup draw (Stoke tickets arrived earlier).

To someone who said you don’t get the same buzz at non-league. I have mates playing in national league north and I took my kids there from a young age and they fell in love with it. I guess drawing Gillingham in a cup match and winning in extra time and then being mascot for the second round match away at Blackpool helped with that though.
I'm guessing you saw Garry Nelson in your time watching Torquay then? he had a season or two there in the late nineties.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I'm guessing you saw Garry Nelson in your time watching Torquay then? he had a season or two there in the late nineties.
He was just after I went loads. I stopped going once I got to A level age. I did watch him play for Torquay once but that was in the away end on the absolutely Baltic New Year’s Day fixture 1997 when he got a late winner for Torquay. That was the coldest I ever got at football and I was so hungover I was in a bad way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
61.000+ posts (presumably most about football) would imply slightly different!

:lolol:

I love chatting about almost anything! So many interesting nsc’ers.

A succinct way of describing my feelings is that as a kid I was sad when the last ball was kicked in May. But for many years now I love the close season.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Well nothing would replace Albion where get engrosed in every game before and after. Maybe wife would be pleased. Recent Palace game was good eg. Out with friends for dinner and much stick when got home for spending too much time looking at phone during evening.
In decent weather would watch some local clubs that are doing well. A little put off with local football with lack of loyalty by players and money involved with small gates and sometimes very poor standard whilst behind the scene run by great volunteers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here