Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first Gig that you went too

The Pogues at the Brighton Centre. The year they brought out The Birmingham Six/Guilford Four and it was around the time the country woke up to what the police had been up to and they were released from jail. It was not long after the Brighton bomb either really. Thousands are Sailing album was the tour they were promoting and on it was The Fairytale of New York. Electric, first gig I went to and so far still the best.
Was that when they shared the bill with Stiff Little Fingers?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Were they Palarse fans, I did not know that, followed them everywhere for about 6 years, even when they went to a 3 peice act, some great songs but "Prince in a Paupers Grave" has to be the best. EMF were one of my favs bands at the time, Unberlievable, Children, Lies etc were good tunes. then there was Neds Atomic Dustbin, Sleeper, Echo Belly, Sultans of Ping.....etc etc

I vaguely remember a gig at Gardner arts centre when they slagged of Brighton, saying something like our fans are shit

Feb 14, 2010
I dont remember any warm up act Lord B but I was young so maybe there was but I dont remember them. I would be surprised as well because I think SLF were pretty careful to not be seen on either side whereas the pogues colours were nailed to the mast. Might be wrong tho' although I would hv thought I would remember them as SLF are my number 1 punk bank

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
1975. Toots & The Maytals.
Top Rank, bottom of West Street.
Reggae Got Soul!
They were supported by The Heptones.
Wonderful night.

Feb 14, 2010
Pogues often played with The Dubliners after they made it, but might have played with SLF before they got big. I dont know Tom Robinson Band but I think they played a bit with the Test Tube Babies although I never saw it.. if so then that would have been a gig!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I remember The Pogues were the support act to Elvis Costello when he played The Top Rank sometime in the 80's. No one really took any notice of them as they were unknown at the time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I was there that night, and on many, many others; regular night out for us Hove CGS boys - cushion throwing and Carlsberg!
Beefheart, Stones, Deep Purple, ELP. Pink Floyd........ it's a long list, we were so fortunate to have the Big Apple in the early 70's, albeit for such a short time.

Posted on an Acer notebook during a drug induced stupor.

Had me worried for a bit there, thought I was the only person who knew the place.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Parents took me to see Chas and Dave at the Corn Exchange early 80's. Sad.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
The Pogues at the Brighton Centre. The year they brought out The Birmingham Six/Guilford Four and it was around the time the country woke up to what the police had been up to and they were released from jail. It was not long after the Brighton bomb either really. Thousands are Sailing album was the tour they were promoting and on it was The Fairytale of New York. Electric, first gig I went too and so far still the best.

The Pogues bring back great memories, I have seen then a few times at Brixton Acadamy, just before Christmas each time, its a great way to start the Christmas season, even though he was hammered, he was awesome, I have never seen the place rock like when the Pogues are in town, from the front row to the back, its just rocking.........great gigs

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Great idea for a new thread,..bands we've seen in Moulescomb. I saw The Cult there on the day of the Everton v Watford FA Cup final and on another occasion The Dead Kennedys !

Saw My Bloody Valentine at Cockcroft halls supporting a band call The Shop Assistants.

Also Soup Dragons (pre-baggy era) & The Primitives

Great idea for a new thread,..bands we've seen in Moulescomb.
I guess NO-ONE here remembers when a student called Harvey Goldsmith ran Club 66 on Friday nights at the Moulsecoomb site of what was then called Brighton College of Technology? Third rate live bands, and I can't remember any names.

wakokid

Jun 10, 2011
Lancing
Mine was Alan Price (keyboard player from 60's group the Animals) at Worthing Pavilion. I went with my parents when I was about 6 yrs old so I guess we're talking 1975 ish? I remember watching the drummer all night and thinking 'I wanna do that!' and so ended up taking up drums - still play them to this day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here