Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first Gig that you went too

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Ray Charles at the Hippodrome early sixties followed by Rory Storm (who still had Ringo Starr as his drummer)Johnny Kidd and the Pirates and Sounds Incorporated.
Also do any other old fogies like me remember the Chinese Jazz club which used to be near where the Concord is. They used in the early sixties have all the top blues artists appear there. People like Sunny Boy Williamson,John Lee Hooker etc. One of the best blues guitarist that I saw there was alady named Sister Rosetta Tharp

Also do any other old fogies like me remember the Chinese Jazz club which used to be near where the Concord is. They used in the early sixties have all the top blues artists appear there. People like Sunny Boy Williamson,John Lee Hooker etc. One of the best blues guitarist that I saw there was alady named Sister Rosetta Tharp
Wasn't there a late sixties Blues Club in Steine Street? I've got a vague recollection of seeing the legendary Mississippi Fred McDowell there.

I remember going to a jazz/blues club in Steine Street in 70/71 to see Henry Lowther, wasn't it called "Jimmys"?
That's the one.

For some reason, the place was always known as "G E Moore's" in the circles I moved in - named after the English philosopher who, I think, bore some sort of resemblance to the bloke who served behind the bar. Or it might have been that, like G E Moore, the barman had died ten years earlier at the age of 85, but, unlike G E Moore, he was still holding down a job in his late nineties, despite being plainly dead.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Would have been Led Zep* at Knebworth '79, but couldn't go due to other (in hindsight, totally pointless and involved time spent in a pool at Crystal Palace!) commitments, so my first was Blue Oyster Cult at the Brighton Centre, later in the year.

*Did get lucky in the ballot to see them at the reunion gig at the O2, so at least I got to see them eventually....well, most of them.

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Mine Was EMF supported by Carter USM at the Underworld in Camden in April 1992. First of many memorable gigs watching Jim Bob and Fruit Bat.???

Ah showing your age! I was at that gig too! It was featured in the sun newspaper the next day, with a picture if me with blood streaming out of my nose after getting a face full of boots from someone stage diving. Was it you!!!? I also lost a shoe that evening. Happy days......

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The LAST one I went to was Dr and the medics at Caldicot castle last week :lolol:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Gary Glitter at the Dome 1974( I feel little dirty now)

First festival Reading 78.... Sham 69, Jam , Penetration , The Business and Chelsea and load of AOR bands .
Seemed huge to me then , although after 125,000 at Knebworth for Queen and subsequent Castle Doningtons and Readings ,it now seems quite small in comparison.
................Never Glastonbury , not then , not now.

My first festival too, some great bands that year!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here