Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first Gig that you went too

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Actually, tell a lie, the first "gig" I went to was in Burwash Village Hall a few weeks before I saw the Stones but I can't remember the band's name!

Ozzy Osbourne at the Dome on Halloween (!), 1980. Budgie were supposed to be the support act, but they pulled out for some reason, and a bunch of pissed up/off bikers started chucking stuff at the unfortunate replacement band. For a sheltered 14 year this was terrifying and thrilling at the same time.

I saw Budgie about 3 and a half years ago at The Concorde 2, some 35 years after seeing them at The Dome.
They were excellent - better than ever!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
first gig would have been Jon anderson (just been booted out of Yes) at the The Dome saround december 1980 - very hip, i think not

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Can't be certain (my memory is rubbish) but I saw Duran Duran circa 1981 at Chichester Festival Theatre with John Cooper Clarke as support and several other Pop acts were showing there around that time so I also saw Altered Images (Clare Grogan) and The Pretenders ... was it my first gig who knows ;o) Favourite Gigs include The Jam (and the Vapors) at Portsmouth Guildhall and ELO at Brighton with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra and Stevie Wonder at Brighton on a revolving stage - amazing !

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
UB40 Assembly Hall Tunbridge Wells 1979 I was 11yrs old. 50P ENTRY !!!
Madness, Brighton Center 1981 if I remember right. My mate spent the whole gig in the bar area playing space invaders ?????????? WTF ??????????

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Johnny Dankworth Big Band at the 100 club London, aged 15. I had a table near the trumpet section. I was blown away in more ways than one.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Darts in 1977 or '78, aged 10 or 11, in Eastbourne, probably the Congress Theatre, starring our very own [MENTION=242]Hornblower[/MENTION].

Many thanks for the mention WnW, I've been trawling through in the hope that someone would list us, how sad am I?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Jasper Carrot or Gladys Knight and the Pips at the Brighton Centre.
Always getting those mixed up!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
That's too bad, as there were some great bands back then that are now spoken about in reverent tones!

Do you recall anything about them, a song title or onstage feature that might have stood out in your memory?

I think they were just local boys doing a few covers, I seem to remember a Swinging Blue Jeans similarity!!!

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Another one for Led Zeppelin at Knebworth, 11th August 1979 (2nd gig) a week after my 16th birthday. Went down with my maths teacher's sister and her boyfriend. I left Brighton when I was 14, so too young to see bands I was into then like the Clash or the Buzzcocks, big regret. Embarassingly, Chas and Dave opened at Knebworth, so technically they were my first ever band.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Gary Glitter at the Dome 1974( I feel little dirty now).

Hmm, I think my first gig was GG around that time - but at the Top Rank, I think not the Dome. Or possibly Kool and the Gang (before they went commercial), same time / same place.

To be strictly honest, my first gig might have been when my parents took me to see The Spinners at the Dome. And not the Detroit variety!

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Talking of Gigs generally, anyone on here go to the Rush concert at Wembley Arena on the day of the Cup Final?
I remember that it was officially sold out weeks before, but when I was walking past the Arena after the game there was a tannoy repeating that there were tickets available from the box office so there was no need to buy from the touts.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Talking of Gigs generally, anyone on here go to the Rush concert at Wembley Arena on the day of the Cup Final?
I remember that it was officially sold out weeks before, but when I was walking past the Arena after the game there was a tannoy repeating that there were tickets available from the box office so there was no need to buy from the touts.

No, but my first concert was Rush at Wembley 5 years later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here