Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first Gig that you went too

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Spandau Ballet @ Brighton Centre 1983

The Move at the Assembly hall Worthing 1967. 6 bob to get in.
When I was still at school, our class booked Carl Wayne and the Vikings (three fifths of The Move) to play at a school dance to raise money for the rebuilding of an old cinema organ that the school had just bought. Most of the other classes in the school did sponsored walks and stuff.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Echo and The Bunnymen at Crawley (Leisure?) Centre on the Ocean Rain tour. Mindblowing

You'd never pick it but of all the gigs I've ever attended the Bunnymen show at Cliffs Pavillion in Southend on that tour was probably the loudest ever - mind numbingly loud clear sound that night.....

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Im very jealous of you sunning yourself in Perth, my wifes friends live in Freemantle & they saw the from the jam there couple years back...& our other friends live in Yanchep-ive been over a couple of times,lovely over there...
anyway thought I would mention as i saw Perth you lucky git

cheers, it's actually mid winter here now - it gets down to around 5 degrees or less at night (sometimes), although it still gets to 20ish during the day. The grass is always greener mate, you have the Amex and a season for all seasons to enjoy live in the flesh whereas I'm going to have to rely on Fox taking Sky games of which hopefully there will be a few.

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
That gig was at the Brighton Centre East Wing.

One of my most dissapointing gigs that one. Never bothered seeing Oasis again

Thanks for the corerction, couldn't remember what it was called -a horrible long room with a bar at the back if I remember correctly, had to stand at the side at the back as I was relying on a walking stick that day. Not one of their finest, I was lucky enough to see them a dozen times or more in '94 and they usually put on a great show - I think their minds were still on the footy.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Darts in 1977 or '78, aged 10 or 11, in Eastbourne, probably the Congress Theatre, starring our very own [MENTION=242]Hornblower[/MENTION].

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Billy Cotton Bandshow at the Hippodrome...about 1946...Singer Alan Breeze...still have the autographed programme.

"Wakey WAAAKEY!!"

Still remember his rather uneasy badinage on the "Band Show" with Russ Conway in his early "I'm not a homo" days. Billy senior being a former racing driver I don't think had any truck with navy boys.

Jul 7, 2003
Mine should have been Hanoi Rocks in Portsmouth but the drummer died and gig got cancelled. It ended up being Dumpy's Rusty Nuts at The Richmond. Not sure if this counts as it was little more than a pub gig. First proper gig was Magnum at The Eastborne Winter Gardens. This started a series which still sees me gigging very regularly to this day. My taste has broadened somewhat as well :)

I know we've talked before about this as I was due to go to that Hanoi Rocks gig. I also saw Dumpys at the Richmond - if it was the same gig, they were late as their van broke down and the support was a group called Zephyr which consisted of two blokes and a drum machine.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Madness- One step beyond era. They put on a special afternoon show for under 18's at London Hammersmith. It was a quid to get in and I shit my pants at the number of skinheads present. Was not a big fan at the time but my mate Paul Prune ( yes- that was his name) had recently found out he had been adopted at birth and i felt sorry for him and tagged along.
First proper gig of choice Farmers Boys -The Cockroft Halls in Moulescomb. Where incidently- The Smiths once played. Morrisey live in Moulescomb. Could not make it up!

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Not the first by any means but the most unusual.
Very early 70's

EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND

On a flat bed artic en route to Devils Dyke.

Stopped by PIGS(terminology of the day), band arrested, lorry deserted in middle of road,band taken to John Street Police STATION.

Subsequent RIOT went on all night outside said Police Station.

ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER THIS EVENT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here